What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Lovevermont, stick with Cutting for Stone. It really is an excellent story.

I have had Sarah's Key on my ipad for the past few months, but have not started it yet. I know it is supposed to be very sad and I haven't felt like being sad lately.

Speaking of slogging through a book, my most recent read was American Wasteland: How America Throws Away Nearly Half of Its Food (and what we can do about it), by Jonathan Bloom. The book had some interesting ideas, but it was a slow read. And I really wish that I had not read about the tradition of "scrounging" at Reed College on my lunch break!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

If anyone like suspense of specifically James Patterson, I got to read the unedited soon to be released Kill Alex Cross. It was very good, trues to the main character Alex and I enjoyed it a lot. The release date is Nov 14.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Eagle Ray,
I've always thought I wanted to be a reader, but have never been able to keep interest in a book. I need one that grabs my interest at the beginning and has action all the way to the end. My friend suggested James Patterson books. I went to the library and got Along Comes a Spider so I could read the entire series in order (just in case they actually held my interest). Now I am not a frequent library person, so I actually asked the librarian if I could renew when my 3 weeks were up in case I wasn't finished with the book. She said I could. I know that I am the type to take a very long time to finish a book, if I even finish it ever. Well, no need to worry about renewing. I finished it in about a week and a half. I went right away and got Kiss The Girls and finished it in 4 days. I think I may have finally found an author that can hold my interest. I'm waiting for the 3rd book to come in at the library now. I think I'm on a roll. Maybe I'm not ADD after all... :lol:
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

LysaC wrote:Read "The Lace Reader" by Brunonia Barry over the weekend.

Like it a lot! A great family story- a little bit of the supernatural, a little bit of scandal, a little bit of everything. Takes place in Salem MA and Salem is almost like another character in the book. I lived there for a while so I really enjoyed it.

The ending will blow you away. I can usually see the ending coming from a mile away but I was totally tricked with this one.

The writing style reminded me of Anita Shreve. The story unfolds, unveils itself.
Started "The Lace Reader" today. It's totally out of my box but, so far, I am enjoying it.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I think I'm on a roll. Maybe I'm not ADD after all... :lol:[/quote]

Michigancouple- The other James Patterson series that starts with "1st to Die" is about four woman- a detective, a coroner, a news reporter, and a lawyer and it's really suspenseful too. Some of his other books that aren't series are just as suspenseful. i thought his love stories would be terrible but they were so good I couldn't believe it! The only ones I don't like are the sci fi one but i know people who love them- just not my genre! I am a JP junkie!! ( he also has little kids books!)
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Eagle Ray - I thought the 1st to Die series looked really good too. I'm sure I'll go to it next. I'm not really a sci fi fan either. Never been into sci-fi movies or shows, so probably wouldn't connect with a book about it.

Thanks for the recommendations. Enjoy.

PS - I always have enjoyed your trip reports from you and the hubby. My hubby is not a snorkeler, so when I got out of the water last year after seeing my 1st eagle ray, I was so excited to tell him about it. He couldn't understand all my excitement until I explained that for me seeing an eagle ray is like him seeing a huge 12-point buck when deer hunting. Then he understood my happiness! :D
~ Nancy
AH

Post by AH »

Like it a lot! A great family story- a little bit of the supernatural, a little bit of scandal, a little bit of everything. Takes place in Salem MA and Salem is almost like another character in the book. I lived there for a while so I really enjoyed it.

The ending will blow you away. I can usually see the ending coming from a mile away but I was totally tricked with this one.

The writing style reminded me of Anita Shreve. The story unfolds, unveils itself.
Thanks so much for this recommendation. Good book and one I wouldn't have picked up if not for you taking the time to post about it.
AH
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I have another clunker to un-recommend! The Night Strangers, by Chris Bohjalian. I HATED this book!! It was soooo frustrating. He had a wonderful story going and then took it into this really bizarre place and the ending was one of the worst I have ever read! HATED it! If it was an actual book instead of an ebook I think I would have ripped it into pieces, I hated it so much!

Let me tell you how I really feel about that book :lol:

Right now I am reading the Dovekeepers, by Alice Hoffman. So far so good. I'll have to download the Lace Reader next.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

My mom felt the same way about The Hypnotist. HATED it.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

AH wrote:

Thanks so much for this recommendation. Good book and one I wouldn't have picked up if not for you taking the time to post about it.
AH
Oh I am so glad you enjoyed it! I never would've read it either but my Mom kept hounding me to start it. Once I started I couldn't stop.

Readin Miss Peregrines School for Peculiar Children now. It's OK. Not great but not bad. I think it's young adult :). I liked the jacket art :).
AH

Post by AH »

Finished reading "Different Seasons" by Stephen King over the weekend. Four short stories including "The Body" & "Apt Pupil".
AH
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

Stephen King is at his best in short story and novella mode! If you liked Different Seasons, try Skeleton Crew.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

This weekend I read -

Whatever You Do, Don't Run (true tales of a Botswana Safari Guide) by Peter Allison. It was really entertaining. It would make a good beach read.

His love for the country and the wildlife shines throughout the book. First thing I did when I finished it was bookmark a bunch of websites, I am now desperate to go to Botswanan.

The Lobster Chronicles by Linda Greenlaw. She was the woman swordfish boat captain in the Perfect Storm. The book is about her life when she moves back home with her parents to start lobstering in Maine. They live on an island with 40some year-round residents. Anyone that likes (or dreams of) island life and/or Maine would probably like it.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

I really liked the Lobster Chronicles as well.
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

Just read The Forgotten Garden, Kate Morton...excellent.