Trip Report, Daffodil Villa and Villa Gravity

Travel discussion for St. John
toni

Trip Report, Daffodil Villa and Villa Gravity

Post by toni »

Ok, trip report; started writing it and realized I’m long winded so shortened it up (if you can believe this is short!)

Here’s the details/highlights:

This was our 8th trip since 95/96.

10 days/9 nights at Daffodil Villa on Fish Bay. Had been on my short list for several years. Review will be posted once the new review site is running. 2 thumbs up on the villa, amazing water view.

Our first night; knew I’d made the right choice!

Car Rental-Conrad Sutton-used many times, first time we ever had difficulty parking here; had to use the free lot next to the car barge several times, week was quiet so not sure if he just didn’t have that many rentals so his lot was always full.

Car & husband:

Groceries-Starfish to start and then we supplement with Pine Peace. Got a reusable grocery bag at Pine Peace so that makes for a nice souvenir! Starfish had their rotisserie chicken on sale-$5.99, normally $12.99, eek!

Restaurants-my goal was to eat out a lot and and we were successful!

Beach Bar--perhaps not on my favorite list any more Drinks weren’t great and food wasn’t either. Very disappointed.

Spyglass- my new favorite-great happy hour prices $3 rum drinks, 2/$5 fish tacos and beef sliders were really tasty-had more fish in my tacos then the BeachBar fish and chips! Super nice server Matt. Went twice so that says a lot!

Gastro Grub-all right, tasty for lunch, probably wouldn’t go again though.

Rhumblines-Love this restaurant, ultimate pad thai, mmmm good! Always a must stop.

Plancha del Mar; loved it at the Market Place, love it at Mongoose too. Deconstructed paella-wonderful

Tap Room-service was terribly slow at lunch-with maybe 2 other tables of people it took us 50 minutes to get a hummous (which is bought from sam/dave’s)platter and shrimp quesadillas. Disappointed too that they were out of a pineapple infused vodka that they had advertised as a special. A good bartender would chat you up to keep you from noticing the slooooow service, this one barely said a word.

Smoothie truck-always a winner-very nice girl working there.

Candi’s BBQ-prefer over Uncle Joe’s, like the people better too.

Deli Grotto, what can I say, stopped here probably 5 times? My waistline regretted it!

Hercules Pate-first time here-not sure if I actually got a pate, it was a shrimp/veggie assortment, but whatever I got it was good!

Iguana Grill-recommend this place-great happy hour prices, Heather was our server, can’t say enough good things about her. I appreciate good service and she made sure we found a table, told us it was happy hr and the specials, made sure we knew when happy hr was ending so we’d get more beer, always checked on us, and did I say they offer deep fried oreos???  ‘Nuf said!

The Thanksgiving dinner served the Sat before Thanksgiving with the Pan Dragon steel drum band playing in the park-except for the rain, that was a great meal!!! Awesome music. Wow.

Shopping
VINP store-renewed my membership, had great sea glass bracelets, bought several for Christmas gifts.

Bamboo-bought my first STJ hook bracelet! And have you seen their beach pendants?

St. John Spice-missed Ruth here several times, but stocked up on a new hat and Cruz Bay Grill rub for my catsitter's gift!

Sugarbirds in Mongoose-always can find something there-this year it was flip flop Christmas cards! I don’t know if they’re the ones who do it but there’s always cat food/water outside their place and cats too.

Liberty Jewelers and Dynasty Dazzlers Jewelers on STT-it’s our 25th anniversary next year, had to get a little bling!

Animals
The numbers of donkeys is crazy!
Used to be I’d see maybe one, now there’s mini herds of them. We rounded a corner and nearly creamed into a mini herd of cows
, had a big sow and piglet in the road on Gifft Hill too

With the number of showers, I'm always on the lookout for the rainbow!

Beaches:
Jumbie, Cinnamon, Francis, Maho-wow with the rays and the tarpon!

Saw my first octopus! Well, it was dead and lying on the sand in front of the Beach Bar, but still, my first one!

Villa gravity overcame us this trip-several days we didn’t even leave the house. Shows how much we enjoyed the view/pool!

Speaking of the pool-word to the wise, ALWAYS know when the pool man is going to appear! Skinny dipping in the pool and hearing the crunch of tires/gravel on an otherwise very quiet day was my only warning. Care to see the scab from falling on my knee scrambling out of the pool???

Anybody know what this stuff is that looks like silly string? Was out on the east end all over.

Sorry I missed people at the BB. Bad thing is that we was there both Sunday nights, but couldn’t figure out how to tell who anyone was. Duhh! Left my forum tshirt at home! Oh well, if you were there you were in my thoughts! And if you saw a couple standing on the beach, just hanging out, that was me and my much better half.

Made it home no problems, from the ferry ride to RH and then the cab it took and hour and 50 minutes, that’s right 1hr50m to get to the airport!! Wow, good thing I wasn’t in a hurry. Home by 12:30am, back to the grind.

Is it time for another trip yet?

more sunsets and sunrises:

We love St. John!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Loved your report and thanks for sharing!!!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
seagrape

Post by seagrape »

That Silly String stuff is the devil!!! It's called "Love" vine because it LOVES to grasp ahold of and choke out all of your beautiful landscaping! After advice from Josephine, we have spent hours getting every last speck off our bougainvillea. If you even leave one speck, it takes over once again. It likes wet weather and disappears in the dry season. We'll see how our plants are doing when we get back there in a couple of weeks. Only thing worse is Christmas bush...

Glad you had a great time. Your pictures are lovely!

Seagrape
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

nice report! sounds like you had a wonderful time!! thanks for sharing! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

Thanks Toni---great report! Beautiful view at Daffodil villa.
---Jim
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Wonderful report and pictures Toni!
I would be running for cover too if I heard someone pull up to the villa and it wasn't hubby~ :oops: hope your knee is better!
YES! It's time to plan for your next trip! 8)
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Rachelle & Joe

trip report Daffidol villa & villa Gravity

Post by Rachelle & Joe »

Thanx for posting your photo's ! Luv the View from the villa, absolutely stunning ! we stay @ Miles Away which has a Direct view of Daffidol, we luv the villa, but have watched drivers going up & down that hill & it really scares me ! especially with us coming home in the dark from crus bay !! DH has alway's wanted to take a ride up there to check it out but I refuse to go with him ! he say's he's going without me someday & I say go right ahead i'll take the pics of u going up ! LOL Glad u had a wonderful stay : Glad u got your STJ bracelet, DH & I got ours last trip(exchanged them for vowel renewal on our always favorite Trnk Bay) & luv them !ps U R some Animal Magnet ! ~Happy Holidaze~
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

Thank you so much for posting about your trip/villa etc. We had gone up to this villa with the rep once before & really want to stay there in the future. Loved the view!
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Beautiful pictures, thanks for the report!