Ideas on a crewed charter?

Travel discussion for St. John
mnfun2bme

Ideas on a crewed charter?

Post by mnfun2bme »

It's been a dream of mine for years to take a crewed charter for a week sailing. We have some other couples interested and are looking for a catamaran that will accomodate 6 or 8.
Can anyone recommend any charter?

Lisa :?:
trptman

Post by trptman »

Check out my business partner's boat which just arrived in Antigua from the Med: http://www.sunreef-charter.com/catamara ... ,1055.html
augie

Post by augie »

Come see us!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Capt Jay on this forum works for CYOA doesn't he?

Travel Talk On Line BVI has a very active sailing community. There are some posters/sponsers that run crewed charters out of the BVIs.

I contacted a broker a year or so ago about doing a crewed charter. (For a number of reasons, it was not a good vacation fit for us.) She came highly recommended by several sources and she was very helpful.

Ellen
Stewart Yacht Charters
6501 Red Hook Plaza, Suite 201
St. Thomas, USVI
1-800-432-6118 fax 340-775-1358
Mobile 340-690-0176
www.stewartyachtcharters.com
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I heard Howard Stern has a 40 foot cat... never mind, wrong spelling :oops:
I'm The Stig

Post by I'm The Stig »

I've followed this crewed sailing vessels blog for some time now. Looks like a very experienced crew and the food they provide is top shelf. Visit their BLOG for contact info:

http://sailtrue.blogspot.com/2011/12/bo ... -pics.html

Also, why limit yourself to a sailboat? This vintage motor yacht looks like it would be a blast as well. The upside is no tacking back and forth to get to a destination. Just point it to your next stop over and head straight there:

http://www.yachtflame.com/View%20the%20Boat.html
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

How about Festiva sailings? We have looked at them and its definetly on the list of to do's Also Moorings sailings..

http://www.festivasailingvacations.com

http://www.moorings.com
[/url]
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

I highly recommend Ellen Stewart ------- [ as PA Girl posted ] ------ I have known her and used her services for many charters - both as Captain and Guest over 25 years - she lives on STT - knows all the boats and crew - and will work tirelessly to match your group with a vessel that perfectly fits your expectations.
captainjay

Post by captainjay »

PA Girl wrote:
Capt Jay on this forum works for CYOA doesn't he?

Travel Talk On Line BVI has a very active sailing community. There are some posters/sponsers that run crewed charters out of the BVIs.
Yes I do work for CYOA, we don't do fully crewed charters. We are a bareboat company. We do have captains available but you would still have to do your own cooking.
A fully crewed charter will have a capatain and at least one other crew member. The term Chef is routinely used. Most crews are couples, and most crewed boats are privately owned. Traveltalk Online is a good source of info for the industry.
Jay
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

We sailed for a week on the Jeannius with Mike and Jean Beswick (the owners) Mike captained, Jean cooked. BEST VACATION EVER hands down! I cannot recommend this wonderful couple enough...or their beautiful Jeannius! I know they don't charter year round, but it's soooo worth looking into! I would give just about anything to sail with Mike & Jean again in the future. Fabulous is just not good enough to describe the week we had with them!
Jo&Wally

Crewed charter catamaran BVI trips

Post by Jo&Wally »

Happy Holidays to all! we have taken several crewed week long charters in the BVI's.The very best two trips and most important to us was the boat layout. We found a model which is a Lagoon 4600 or Lagoon 4700 catamaran one named Catatonic and the other Hypnautic. The master cabin is extra large and known as the owners cabin and the other two cabins are regular sized we have never gone with more than 6 and one thing to pay attention to on whatever you look at is how one gets into the bed in the cabins. We have to have beds that one can get into from the foot and not the side otherwise one of us wakes the other up all night getting in/out to make thoes pitt stops!
we have used gail at Virgin Islands Sailing many times.Site is great for looking at all kind of charters.