Search for the Holy Grail

Travel discussion for St. John
StJohnbum

Search for the Holy Grail

Post by StJohnbum »

The party at the end of the world is now in day 3.

We are in Coral Bay in a great villa directly on the water near Miss Lucys called Casa Tua. The views are just fantastic and the sound of the waves are so loud and so soothing.

Since we've arrived we have been on a crusade to locate the Holy Grail, in this particular case that would be the best conch fritters on STJ.

Judging for the competition to date is

Shipwreck Landing: 4 s by all 3 of the judges

Aqua Bistro: 2 judges gave them an 8 and the Russian judge gave them a 9 citing that they really stuck the landing

In a few minutes we are off to Miss Lucys to judge their 1st attempt in the competition.

Okay if any of you judges have opinions on who we should include in the STJ Fritter Olympics of 2012 let us know and we will go check it out.

By the way if you are looking for a great place in Coral Bay check out Casa Tua on vbro. It is our 2nd visit to this house and the 14th visit to STJ and just can't recommend this place high enough.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

StJohnbum- Head on over to the Beach Cafe @ the Westin and let me know what you think- YES , the Westin...

From what I recall they where awesome OR I had consumed way too much rum... either way - they where awesome fritters- PARTY ON!

StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

Just back from Miss Lucy's and the Tourist Trap:

Miss Lucy's Fritters: a solid 7.5. Very good but the double half twist failed to live up to that of Aqua Bistro.

However a late entry for Miss Lucy's team was the Fried Grouper Ruben. Solid 10's by all judges. In fact I had to fight off my spousal judge as she ordered a chicken wrap and she kept stealing from my plate. Without a doubt the best fish sandwich to date on the trip.

A little background. Over the last year I decided to change my lifestyle and finally started eating like an adult rather than a kid living in a dorm room. I have survived on berries and tree bark, well not really but damn near. In the process I have lost 65 lbs, exercise daily and in general feel better than I have for many moons. However this trip is dedicated to every possible kind of excess and gluttony please. Thus the search for the best fritters and fried fish dinner. I will get back on the wagon again when we return home but until then I am on a suicidal mission of all things fried!

We have had a great trip to date. We have dear friends with us to indulge in our excesses. They return home tomorrow. This makes just a perfect trip. We get half the trip with friends we love and then half a trip with just the two of us where we can make time for one another and recharge our batteries. What a great vacation.

May try the new Island Blues tonight and see if their Fritters are worth an honorable mention in our quest for perfection.

More to come
cdrott

Post by cdrott »

At the risk if being seen as a heretic, I nominate the shrimp and corn fritters at Rhumb Lines (Cruze Bay.) It was explained to us (and confirmed by the folks at Uncle Joe's) that conch catches are highly variable from day to day. A restaurant either has to accept that they won't always have conch or resort to using frozen or canned.

P.S. The proper pronunciation (island speak) of conch is "conk"
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I've had the same problem with spousal and girlfriend judges the like to order something health and then eat my meal as if they didn't order it it doesn't count against them :evil: :D
Tom
hockeyboy

Casa Tua in one month

Post by hockeyboy »

Hi,

We're staying in Casa Tua in Feb.

Sound like you are enjoying the Villa?

I've heard there is great snorkeling right in front of the Villa. Have you tried that out? Thanks!
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

Hockey boy:

The snorkeling at the bottom of the steps and down the beach about 100 feet to the right is very good. The house is at a nice location on this side of the island as our favorite spot is Haulover North and it is an easy drive However once you get to Casa Tua you won't want to leave it is the perfect location. Lot's of sea life at the snorkeling around the house we've seen nurse sharks, rays and turtles. Other than Haulover North and Waterlemon I think the snorkeling here is in general as good as most everywhere else that I have personally tried.

The pool is cold would be the only knock but this time of year most of the pool's on STJ are on the cold side. I've been using it but it is chilly.

Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions about the house. You will really enjoy it
hockeyboy

Thanks Bum!

Post by hockeyboy »

Thanks SJBum.

CT looks great on the internet. I'm surprised I don't remember the Villa as I've stayed at Ocean Palm and Heaven's Gate, so I've been in the area.

Thanks for the info on the snorkeling.
I'll be snorkeling there and hope to find Haulover North calm enough to snorkel.

It's funny that people have different opinions about snorkel spots. Waterlemon doesn't do anything for me.
jmq

Re: Search for the Holy Grail

Post by jmq »

StJohnbum wrote: Okay if any of you judges have opinions on who we should include in the STJ Fritter Olympics of 2012 let us know and we will go check it out.
Dont know if you ever tried them at Gladys Cafe in STT at lunch on the way in or out - may very well beat any of those found on St. John
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
54b

Post by 54b »

Ah yes, the Holiest of the Donut Hole phylum...the Conch Fritter.

Hands down, my favorites are found at Vie's Snack Shack. They're like 47% bigger than your average Caribbean Conch Fritter...likely made with Conch gathered that morning...and she lightly fries them unlike most places that think they're making hockey pucks.

Curiously, my 2nd favorite Conch Fritter was found on none other than the William Thornton aka The Willy T floating in a Bite off of Norman Island. Like Vie's they're big and lightly fried and come with a good dipping hot sauce....bonus points if you jump off the top deck at the Willy T...just hold on to your Conch Fritters when you do.

Also props to the Fritters at High Tide...another good dipping sauce...Shipwreck Landing's fritters will satisfy your Conch fix as well.

Also second the corn fritters at Rhumblines as mentioned.

Enjoy Fritter Fest.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

I'd say that the fritters at the Banana Deck are worth a try. You may have to take a day for a Cruz Bay fritter cruise.
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

Thanks for the suggestions. The 2012 Fritter Olympics move on to Vie's tomorrow Last year they were a bit disappointing however I understand they have hired the Jamaica bobsled coach to train the team this year so hope springs eternal.

BillVT: I hate to admit this but after 14 trips to STJ I don't know the location of the banana deck. What's it close to?

Other than the fritter Olympics this trip has been all about sitting on the porch, listening to the waves crash and reading trash novels that don't tax the mind too much. It may bore everyone else but the peace of mind does a soul well. Guess the only thing to do is more of the same. Life is good.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

The Banana Deck is directly across the road from the Beach Bar and up a flight of stairs. It is also next to Cactus on the Blue.