Another Question ???

Travel discussion for Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and beyond!
JJShaw

Another Question ???

Post by JJShaw »

I wasnt sure where to post this , I also posted on the STT Forum. Heres the question..We arrive on a Tuesday about 3:30pm. We are planning on staying a cpl days on Jost,before going to STJ. However, Is it possible theres a ferry, that will take us to Tortola and then on to Jost from STT or should we just plan on staying a night on STT and going direct to Jost the next morning? I am seeing Native Son Ferry at 5pm from RH and then New Horizon from Tortola to Jost at 6pm. I am curious if anyone thinks this is cutting it to close..or is it possible to do this..Ive read that some ferries arent too dependable and all we have ever taken is the one to STJ...Thanks !!!!
[/url]
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Hi JJShaw - I think you were looking at the Red Hook schedule which is the 5:00 Native Son to RT via WE.

The ferry schedule I have shows CA-WE at 4:00 and 4:30 with Smith's and Native Son alternating these times daily.

You should be able to make the 4:30 since the ferry terminal is only about a 10 min drive. If you arrive late or have checked bags, it may start to get dicey.

I know some folks have had good success in reserving seats on the Smith's ferry and having them actually hold the ferry for a few minutes if you're snagged. They shuttle their reserved passengers from the airport so thier driver will be in touch with them if there's trouble. Get in touch with Marjorie Smith for this.

As long as you make the 4:30 you should have no trouble getting to the 6:00 JVD ferry in plenty of time.

Its not unheard of for the Smith's or Native Son ferry Captain to radio the New Horizons Captain to let him know he has some late JVD passengers coming in. Captain KC of New Horizons has been known to leave a little late in this instance. You'll need to ask for this kind of assistance and tip accordingly.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Thanks Cleveland Dave, I hadnt even looked at CA since we always go from Red Hook. We may just stay the night on Tortola as we will be pushing 6 Im guessing and Id rather arrive at Ivans during the day...:)
Thanks again !!!
[/url]
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

The Jolly Roger has cheap rooms that could work well for 1 night and its only a wee bit down the road from the Ferry Terminal. Completely walkable. Real good food there, too.

Its very basic but there's nothing more convenient/cheap for 1 night. $89Double w/bath or $67Double w/shared bath

It would make for a very easy get-up-n-go to catch the 8:00AM JVD ferry (or the 10:00 or 1:00 if you need to sleep in)