Discussion: Restaurant closings and villa dining

Travel discussion for St. John
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Need2GetAway wrote:Not us. After the beach we'll go to the villa for drinks, maybe some cheese and crackers, a little hot tub time, etc., and then we'll get cleaned up and head out to eat. I'm not cooking on vacation!
Ditto!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

I don't cook at home, so I'm DEFINITELY not cooking on STJ! Some of my favorite moments on STJ happen at restaurants / bars! :wink:
mit43

Post by mit43 »

In all of our trips, I can only think of one time we have cooked dinner. We are Gallows Point/Lavender Hills people simply for the enjoyment of being able to walk into town and eat each evening. We are NOT going that far and then having to cook for ourselves each night.

Having said that, I'm sure that people cooking for themselves more, due to the economic conditions, plays a part in the closings.

However, I think each establishment must have a loyal following (locals & Tourists) to make it anywhere in these times. A new place has to really set themselves apart to draw a crowd. I think that is why Plancha has done well. They offered a unique product and we were glad to go to the Marketplace to visit them.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

54b wrote: 54b's Top 10 Secrets To Operating a Successful STJ Restaurant

Love it gave me a laugh today
TGA

Re 54b comments regarding successful restaurants

Post by TGA »

Very, Very entertaining...and funny!
gymnastika

Post by gymnastika »

All my trips tend to be the same pattern, regardless if it's with hubby and kids, just hubby and I or my solo trips...
1. Cook breakfast, pack lunch and snacks (we eat pretty much on rabbit food and gluten free so the greasy pub grub gets old quickly), beach, pre-dinner snacks and wine, go out to eat
2. Cook breakfast, pack lunch and snacks, beach, eat lunch out anyway, cook dinner at villa (mostly family trips).
It's just a lot easier to fix meals at the villa when it's all of us. We prefer it that way. It has nothing to do with economics but more of a gravity issue. Now on my solo trips, different story :D I have my usual digs I visit most nights :wink: