Trip Review - Midpoint

Travel discussion for St. John
hockeyboy

Trip Review - Midpoint

Post by hockeyboy »

Hi from Casa Tua on St. John's Southeast side.

Day 1, Travel Day. Worst travel day yet.
Fly into Philly and find out our plane is broken. Altimeter is not working. 2 hour delay. We finally take off. 45 minutes into the flight the pilot says the gauge still does not work. We have to dump fuel and go back to Philly. Great. Please save enough fuel for the ride back. A 1 hour flight back to Philly. Two hours later they have us on another plane bound for St. Thomas. No issues. We arrive about 9:30pm. Cabbies all the ferry and talk them into waiting for us. I think the cabbies charged us extra for the quick trip. No problem.

Day 2. Tired from travel. We go into Cruz Bay. Wife get's a very nice bracelet with a St. John vibe theme. It costs $$$$. I get a tee shirt. How does that happen? Then it's Villa Gravity time. Casa Tua may be unique on the island in that it is surrounded by a salt water lagoon. Casa Tua's deck looks directly over the lagoon. You often see stingrays and barracuda cruising by in 1-2 feet of crystal clear water. Casa Tua get's 5 of 5 stars. Very nice villa with a lot of attention to detail. We appreciate the fresh flowers left in the living area and both bedrooms.

Day 3. Haulover North
Best snorkel on the island IMHO. (Other faves, Kiddle, Salt Pond Rocks, Francis). Entry is difficult but worth it. Corals that go on forever. We didn't even get to the end of the reef and we went out about 25 minutes. Saw Turtle, squids, Big stingray and a SHARK! I always wanted to yell SHARK and mean it! I had found a six foot nurse shark resting on the bottom. Awesome. Exiting the water was very difficult. We probably looked like beached whales trying to get out. I get finally make it out when one of our parties exclaims "I POOPED MYSELF". Actually they had poked themselves on something. But that's not the way I heard it. I was laughing so hard I fell down. On the rocks. Ouch.

Day 4. Best day on St. John. Ever.
Start the day with a hike to Rams Head. Awesome. Not an easy trail. The hike follows a nice snorkel. Hansen Bay out to Pelican rocks. Very interesting snorkel, but no amazing wild life sightings. Easy in and out though. Not like yesterday. (Thank the Lord).
To top off the day we went to Miss Lucy's full moon party. Had a blast, got drunk. Good food and friends, two great bands. Peeps from 21 -81 all partying together. Do this party if you ever get a chance.

That's it for now. Today we're doing the Brown Bay trail and snorkel. May do Trunk Bay tomorrow. 3rd visit to SJ and I've never been to Trunk.

St. John Photo Phix here:
http://trillium.smugmug.com/Vacation/St ... &k=29cQ3xb
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Wow... your trip may have had a bad start, but your picking up steam. Sounds great! Love the picture of (I'm assuming) you and your sweetie in the full moon.
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Ha! Sounds like things got better quickly after the travel day. Nice pics - I guess the singer couldn't get a babysitter? LOL.
jimg20

Re: Trip Review - Midpoint

Post by jimg20 »

hockeyboy wrote:Wife get's a very nice bracelet with a St. John vibe theme. It costs $$$$. I get a tee shirt. How does that happen?
You you remember when you said, "I do"? That is how that happens. Welcome to married life. :wink:

It looks like you are having a great trip. Keep us posted.
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Very nice mid-trip report & photos! Was that one photo of the musicians Laura & Bo? How did you like them? We are planning on seeing them @ Rhumb Lines when we go next month!
Peace,

Lisa
Kristen_Y

Post by Kristen_Y »

Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for the tip on Casa Tua - we are checking it out for our trip in June this year.

Regarding the rocky entry/exit at Haulover North (and other places), water shoes will help. Crabby's in Coral Bay sells them for $20.
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

thank you for the mid-trip report. Sounds like you are having a great time!
Tami
Image[/url]