Casa Tua - one day left review

Travel discussion for St. John
hockeyboy

Casa Tua - one day left review

Post by hockeyboy »

Hello,

I'm sitting on the covered patio watching the sailboats race by. Trade winds are constant here. No need to use the air conditioning, just open up the doorwall and you're all set.

Wednesday we did the Brown Bay trail and snorkel. This was a nice moderate trail with a nice beach at the end of the trail. Pretty good snorkeling here. We saw 1 turtle and a pretty good sized porcupine puffer fish. I was surprised at how crowded Brown Bay was though. If you call 12 people crowded.

My wife and I decided to go to the North side beaches yesterday. Trunk had no parking even though there were about 50 people on the beach. We ended up on Jibney beach. What a beautiful little beach to bring a cooler, beach chair and book and just set up shop for the day. My wife and I had brought snorkel equipment. Don't bother, nothing here to see.

We've only seen good snorkeling at two places on the North side. Leinster and Francis.

After sitting at Jumbie for a while we decided to go back 'home' to the South side of the island. We stopped at love city mini mart and went on to Little Lameshur bay. The road was an adventure, but this turned out to be possibly my least favorite beach on the island. No shade and no good snorkeling.

Today we decided to do a semi villa gravity day. We started out the day with coffee and sunrise. We headed off to Salt Pond bay about 10:00am. It wasn't very crowded. Water looked beautiful. We could see our destination out in the middle of the bay. The mythical 'best snorkel on island' salt pond rocks. It's a bit of a swim to get out there, maybe 600 or 700 yards, but well worth the swim. It is an advanced snorkel. Make sure you have enough in the tank to make it back to shore. The return is against a moderate current. Also there are swells around the rocks. Probably 3 foot or so. Not a problem if you just go with the swells. Even though we're approaching 60, I consider my wife and I 'advanced'. Just to be safe we wear blow up vests in case something does happen when we're along way from shore.

The snorkeling out here is superb. Coral everywhere you can see, towering sponges, deep ravines and FISH! Fish everywhere, by the thousands, just like you see on reef television shows.

We unanimously decided Salt Pond rocks is the best snorkel on the island. Haulover North and Kiddle bay are close contenders.

We haven't done grootpan or Yawzi point yet. Though there is some chatter about hitting Yawzi tomorrow.

Now it's time to go back out on the deck and tune my brain to the same frequency as the gently crashing waves.

More pics added:
http://trillium.smugmug.com/Vacation/St ... &k=4VLDZfS
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Tell the fish we're on our way!!! Safe travels home...we'll pass in the air!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Enjoyed your report and pictures!
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

I would have to respectfully disagree on the snorkeling at Jumbie. We've been to Jumbie several times and have had very nice snorkels all along the rocks on the left, then over to the right hand side there are numerous little caverns and such where the fish hang out. We have seen some neat things at Jumbie.

So glad you are having a fabulous time! We love Salt Pond too!
Tami
Image[/url]
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

I was confused when you said "south side" when I discovered your villa is just outside Coral Bay, which is considered East. I'm pretty sure South shore is Fish Bay, Rendezvous Bay, etc. I'm sure someone will chime in if I am wrong!!! Pics are great!
hockeyboy

South End, East End, etc.

Post by hockeyboy »

I guess you're right. It is more easterly than Fish, Rendezvous etc. But it's South of the far East end.

Since calling it the SEE end sounds dumb, I'll go with East end! Thanks.

Going home tomorrow. Waves can't drive bad thoughts out of my head.

"How many work emails will I have"
"What's on fire (at work)"
"How will I ever catch up"

And the big one

"How can I afford to move to St John FOREVER".