Just Booked - 10 Days on Tortola w/Kids

Travel discussion for Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and beyond!
ClevelandDave

Just Booked - 10 Days on Tortola w/Kids

Post by ClevelandDave »

They've been hearing about the BVIs since they were knee-highs and now they get their first taste. 10 days based in Little Apple Bay, Tortola.

They've never been to the Caribbean...never been sailing...never been snorkeling......never had a roti...never seen the bottom in 12 ft of water.

One of the best things about this visit is that I'll be in my comfort zone. Family trips always have me playing the role of The Great Protector. When we go to someplace familiar, I can relax some.

This is gonna be a blast.
Last edited by ClevelandDave on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bevm

Post by bevm »

Yes it will be! And I think you'll have as much fun as your kids!
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Yea- fun!
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Trip cancelled...ticker gone...sulking!
Maybe next year.
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

oh no! Why??? We just finished our Anegada adventure which included a night on tortola and a day on jost! My kids loved it!

do tell!
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Some serious health issues and their economic impact will have us focused inward for some time to come.

Hope to be past the immediate threat by summer's end.
lprof

Post by lprof »

ClevelandDave wrote:Some serious health issues and their economic impact will have us focused inward for some time to come.

Hope to be past the immediate threat by summer's end.
Caring thoughts for comfort and healing... I understand!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Coden

Post by Coden »

Wishing you all the best.
Coden
ClevelandDave

A NEW TICKER!!!

Post by ClevelandDave »

Well, here we are a year later and recovery brings another ticker.

Same plan, just a year later. Ten days with the kids at Little Apple Bay, Tortola.

Whoohooo!

[/url]
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We went to Tortola and Peter Island the last 2 years and loved it. Have a great trip.
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Happy to learn that the health thing is now past tense. I know you're REALLY looking forward to this trip now!
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

B&J - Its a great island with wonderful folks. Absolutely my favorite place and I'm always ready to go back.

GD - Ya got that right!! I'm a planner when it comes to vacations, especially to de ilons. It gets me through the wait.
I really have to watch myself to avoid overplanning this visit. I want the kids to see & do all of the stuff that I know they'll love, so I'm naturally amped.
The delay just threw that into overdrive.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

CDave - I forgot to say congratulations on coming through on the other side of illness impacting your family. That will make the trip even sweeter.

I wanted to mention a day sail/snorkel trip we took that we just loved. We went for a full day on Aristocat with Captain Steve. He makes 3 snorkeling stops (one is while he is preparing lunch). The last stop is the Indians which has been awesome each time we've been there. The lunch is fresh and abundant, and the Catamaran is huge (48') so its very roomy. If you and your kids like to snorkel, this trip is well worth it. We got on the boat at Sopers Hole. He also has one in Roadtown (Lionheart).
ClevelandDave

Post by ClevelandDave »

Thanks B&J. A nice Day Sail has always been integral for us and Patouche has been our choice over the years.
I think that each of the Day Sail operators do a great job and Aristocat has a good rep.

Funny, I've been to the Indians 3 times and its always been too choppy to snorkle. Maybe this year...

I'm really tempted to get to Anegada this visit. The ferry option is good and DiveBVI does a nice day trip there as well. Ever been?
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

One year, we stayed on Virgin Gorda, and decided to take a day trip on the ferry to Anegada. It was a beautiful ferry ride with all the islands and beautiful water. We rented a car from some really nice people there and drove around the island. The roads are mostly hard sand with a "washboard" pattern so it was really teeth chattering jarring to drive around. We went to the beach where there was supposed to be excellent snorkeling, but it was not great (we probably went the wrong direction or something). We went to Cow Wreck Beach Bar for lunch and had awful service and awful food. (We go with the flow in the islands, but this was really bad.) Overall, Anegada didn't do much for us. We like Tortola, VG and STJ much better. We were glad to see it, but don't plan to go back. Teh ferry ride was the best part for us since we enjoy being on the water. However, there are many people on one of the BVI forums who rave about it and think its one of the most wonderful places ever. So each to his/her own taste :)