Best beaches in St. Martin

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Best beaches in St. Martin

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We are doing a cruise and will be in St. Martin one day. We want to go to a beach. Which beach is best? Any advise on taxi service? Any thing else in St. Martin that is a must do/see? Is there good snorkeling in St. Martin?
Bug

Post by Bug »

Pinel! You have to take a taxi ($8.00 each way) plus a water ferry ($7.00 round trip) but definitely a must see!!!
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

Our last time on St. Martin cruise stop found us with a party of 6. We booked Bernard Tours for the day.

http://www.bernardstours.com/

We actually got Bernard, himself, as our driver. Excellent day. Took an island tour, and told him the kind of beach we wanted (beautiful - seaside restaurant and bar - and "family oriented" with no or very limited nudity). He found the perfect place for us.

In addition to a historical narration of the island, we also spent some time in the marketplace shopping, then headed to the beach for the afternoon.

Good Luck! Have Fun!
alw1977

Post by alw1977 »

I've been to St. Martin quite a few times. For a cruise day, I'd rent a car immediately upon disembarking. The island is very easy to get around and you drive on the right.

From Philipsburg, head to Orient Beach going counterclock-wise around the island (via Dawn Beach). It's the most popular and biggest beach, but it really is nice. Rent some chairs, hang out for a few hours. Leave and visit Marigot, the French capital. Walk around and have lunch at one of the restaurants in the Marigot Marina. I like Tropicana or La Belle Epoque. Then, as the afternoon is getting later, go to Sunset Beach Bar (or whatever it's called now) near Maho and watch the planes land right over the water. There is a decent beach there too.

Then, head back to the ship when you're ready. You'll have circumnavigated the island and gotten a taste for the highlights.

We've been 6 times or so on land-based vacays and this is how I'd spend a cruise stop day.
Beach Maniac

Post by Beach Maniac »

There's a pretty good overview of St. Martin beaches on the Beach Maniac site: http://www.beachmaniac.com/uncategorized/stmartin/
Coden

Post by Coden »

We are going to go to Le Galion in March during our stop there. I'll let you know what we thought of it. :)
Coden