What card gives you the best miles

Travel discussion for St. John
Capn Dan and Ruby

What card gives you the best miles

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We are just trying to find out how to get to St.John more often. Some of you really do well with Airline miles/points. I am curious which cards give you the best miles, ie. airline cards vs. the card from your freindly credit union.
bevm

Post by bevm »

The Capital One Venture card gets very high ratings. I'm curious to see what everyone has to say..
Littlecheeze

Post by Littlecheeze »

I like the US Bank FLEX Card. It Uses Travelocity as it's travel partner,therefore I get many airline options and hence more choices.
"Changes in latitude changes in attitude"

Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Littlecheeze wrote:I like the US Bank FLEX Card. It Uses Travelocity as it's travel partner,therefore I get many airline options and hence more choices.
OOPs...I didnt know I was logged in on my Daughter's account...but she is just 12 and would tell you the Flex card too...LOL
Pia

Post by Pia »

Venture by Capital One - double points for every $1 you spend and if you want to use it for airline travel - no blackout days, no maximum number of seats available and for the number of points needed per ticket you multiply the airlines ticket price by 100 meaning if the ticket is $350 then it would be 35,000 points, if the ticket is $575 then 57,500 points etc.

They do have many different cards just make sure you get the one that gives double.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Capital one for me too.
Tom
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Pia wrote:Venture by Capital One - double points for every $1 you spend and if you want to use it for airline travel - no blackout days, no maximum number of seats available and for the number of points needed per ticket you multiply the airlines ticket price by 100 meaning if the ticket is $350 then it would be 35,000 points, if the ticket is $575 then 57,500 points etc.

They do have many different cards just make sure you get the one that gives double.

Pia
Do you book travel thru their site? Or can you book thru the airline's site?

We have an Amex card, which we use for business expenses but I am thinking of getting another type as Amex isn't as accepted at V/MC.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I book thru the airlines most of the time and turn in for reimbustment
Tom
mit43

Post by mit43 »

We use the US Airways card. We pay everything we can with it and take advantage of every miles special available.

We travel in low season and our award flights usually take 25K miles each with the Low Super Saver award flights.

I do not feel the Capital One double points is the same comparison as an actual Miles card since, as Pia said, you do have to multiply by 100.

For example:
The US Air card would require $25K to receive a free flight.
However, the Capital One card for the same flight(Usually around $700) would require spending $35K. That is a $10K difference for what we use it for.

There may be some situations where the Capital One card may work better, but for us, an actual Airline card works best.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
Pia

Post by Pia »

One of the biggest advantages I see is the no blackout dates and no limited number of seats available. With the airlines restricting numbers of seats available for frequent flyer/credit card miles use and upping the number of miles needed - especially in peak season - I just checked for my trip to the States in March and needed 35,000 miles each way :shock: - I love my Capital One more and more :)

I'm glad the airline card is working for you though :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
mit43

Post by mit43 »

That is true. The one thing we have to do is plan well in advance and be ready to pounce as soon as the flights are released 330 days out. Not very spontaneous, but it allows us to travel twice a year for free. I have never had a problem getting a flight.

We would have to re-think our strategy if we wanted to travel on short notice or in high season very often.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

Capital One Venture.
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

I am such a sucker for this forum. Because of all of you, I just applied for a Venture card. I should get it in a week or so but am curious - can I use it to pay my mortgage? I want to get as many rewards as possible. Thanks!
Jenn, News of St. John
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

I spoke with "Ruby" about this...and we have a card that we use, The Dreaded airline "Spirit" card...lol. We have had good luck with it..we get 2 miles for every dollar spent. But as far as using a card goes. I use ours for EVERYTHING I can, gas, groceries, car payment, gas bill for the house..anything I can pay that accepts a card I use it for.
For us we got 2 tickets to STJ last yr for 20.00 I believe it was if memory serves me correct. This yr I think we paid 10.00 for 1 way down to STT. so what if I have to pay to check a bag..anyway...I kinda got sidetracked..but ours has worked great for us...I book travel and hear lots of good things about the Capital one Venture as well...:)
[/url]
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Cool stuff guys. We have a credit union visa. Good thing is... the intrest rate is good if we have to ever cary a balance. We have done well with this since we have been renovating a house. It has taken us a while to save up enough points for 2 tickets though. we are looking for a better way.