For those of you who "get it" ...

Travel discussion for St. John
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

We, like others, visited STJ for the first time from a cruise ship. We went to STJ for the day, and while we were there we vowed we would come back. It took 3 years for us to get back, but once we did, we never looked back.

For us it is the relaxation. I am a totally different person when I am there.

Someone asked me once if I was "a tourist". I calmly said "No, I am visiting a friend". My friend? St. John.

We talked about doing something else for vacation next February... Yeah, like that is going to happen... We will be back on STJ. Mark my words.
Tami
Image[/url]
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

These are all such great stories and memories. Thank you all for sharing.
Jenn, News of St. John
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We "got it" immediately, before we even set foot on the island. We honeymooned at Caneel and were smitten as soon as we got on their ferry. I remember one of the employees pointing out the sites along the way and introducing us to a family that vacationed there every single summer since it openned. We took a taxi into town the next day to pick up our rental Jeep at Penns and my husband taked "shop" (construction) with the men working there. It was just fun and felt really comfortable. We drove out North Shore Road and stopped at every lookout.

What we like about STJ and what makes it special for our family is, in no particular order, the general lack of development, the beaches, the snorkelling, Cruz Bay and being able to stroll around at night, grabbing a drink at the Beach Bar, checking out the shops, good restaurants, casual vibe.

I love STJ because I don't like to work too hard on vacation. We return over and over again because I know what I like, I find comfort and relaxation in not having to "worry" about settling into a new place (where to eat, what to avoid, etc.)
psufan

Post by psufan »

I "got it" when I realized that after a week on the island I had totally forgotten all of my log-in paswords at work! That feeling of total relaxation is priceless.

Only a few short days until I brain dump again!
vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

Simply put, it's the Tranquility of the early morning and late night evenings. Watching the beautiful sunsets and being around friendly people. I love going to one of the bars and always having fun with people I don't even know. Everyone is just so happy to be on island thats it's easy to find people to have a good time with.
My Heart is in St. John!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

luvinsun wrote: Someone asked me once if I was "a tourist". I calmly said "No, I am visiting a friend". My friend? St. John.

I so love this... One day when I runaway to STJ by myself for awhile and someone asks where I'm going that is what I am going to say..."I am going to visit a friend..."
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

I got it our first trip in 2003 - sitting on the deck, watching the lights of St. Thomas and hearing music from the Westin carried on the wind up the hill to the villa above Chocolate Hole. And then the lightening in the distance sealed the deal for me. I thought - "okay, I'm in heaven!"
PA Girl

Re: For those of you who "get it" ...

Post by PA Girl »

CTBeachGirl wrote: and what is it about St. John that prompted your "obsession"?
I thought of something else - I was struck by how different many elements of STJ were when compared to other beach vacations.

I loved staying in a one story room with screens and ceiling fans, I could hear the water at night. Prior beach vacations were in high-rise condos in OC,MD and Mexico where the AC kept out the waves (and traffic and loud music and sirens...)

Cruz Bay's open air bars and restaurants were also a novelty. During our first trip, there was still a tree growing in the bar at Morgan's Mango. One just didn't see things like that in PA.
54b

Post by 54b »

Enjoying the thread...I think I "got it" the first full day on STJ driving thru Cruz Bay early in the morning and not seeing a McDonalds or fast food chain of any kind. My wife and I parked near the National Park office and hiked to Salomon via the Lindpoint trail. It was June, humid and I was drenched in sweat.

I remember thinking, are we lost, where's the big neon sign that reads, "BEACH" and if we're close, why don't we hear a bunch of people making noise.

When we walked out onto the beach, we were the only ones there. I thought we might be trespassing. We found a spot under one of the lone palm trees in the middle of the beach. My wife read a book and I played get in the water and drink a beer at like 8:30am...

All stresses, concerns, even the feelings of being hot and sweaty from the hike...all just went away. It's like time stood still.

And then a guy walked by on the beach and looked down at me in the water and smiled and said quietly, "that doesn't suck."

No, no it does not.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

I had to add one more thing to my list. I was sitting on Honeymoon Beach as the sun was setting with my wife and I turned to her and said "If there is a heaven, I sure hope it looks like this" She agreed! must be heaven 8)
Chas

another great view

Post by Chas »

As an owner of a vacation villa on St. John, I have been an avid, albeit 'closet', reader of this Forum for many years. I learn alot by just reading what St. John's most loyal customers have to say, but have resisted the temptation to 'speak' until now. This is one of the finest threads I ever read. My wife and I spend so much time on St. John that I forgot what some of the island's attributes are which attracted us to St. John so many year's ago until I read this thread and was reminded of what, too, has captivated us all these years! So I thank you for reminding me and, in return, share with you what one of our guests wrote about her view of St. John!

"I just went on to your web site to write you a little note since I didn't get a chance to write much in your book, and I looked at your pictures. I can't believe that we were swimming in your pool this morning and looking out over Chocolate Hole....when we were driving to Coral Bay on Centerline Road, and we rounded the turn at Bordeaux Mountain, my childhood dreams came alive. That view of Coral Bay is what I always pictured a tropical island to look like. And what's more, I now know why I always had that picture in my mind...it looks like Peter Pan's Never Never Land. Some time when a guest comes to your villa with small children and they bring the Disney Peter Pan video with them, take a look at the first view of Never Never Land as Wendi and her brothers are flying in with Peter. It looks like the Disney illustrators saw a picture of Coral Bay from that mountain pass, and just started drawing. When we rounded the corner, and I saw that first view, I literally lost my breath. After 43 years, I was finally seeing Never Never Land, and it was the tropical paradise that I always knew it would be.Thanks for being my "Peter Pan" and leading me to paradise. You were great hosts, and made are vacation a very special one." -Jeff, and Nancy, Isaac and Olivia [L. (Philadelphia, PA)]
Mrs.Wong

Post by Mrs.Wong »

I just have to say the first time my husband and I went to STJ we were with my daughter and her husband, who were going back after going there for their honeymoon. That was all I needed, I was hooked.I feel as if I am going home to visit. We have visited many times with other family members and now with grandchildren , we will be visiting again in July, along with the traveling family members. St John is such a blessings for those of us who don't live there .
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

I also love the fact that i can find my way around without getting lost...

I think I can speak for a lot of people on this forum... I said in a previous post that I am a different person when I am on STJ. When I say that, I really mean it... I have such a stressful job during my "real" life, that I am just beside myself when I know that STJ is in my sights. My husband has looked at me at times (while in STJ), and actually has said "Who are you, and what have you done with my uptight, high-strung wife?" I step off that plane and it's just like all my cares go away... We walk up that ferry dock and we both look at each other -- give each other a fist bump -- and say "We are Home".

Our trip in February, I have to admit, that I was a little miffed because our cab driver from the airport to Red Hook failed to get us onto the 4:00 pm ferry because he was putzing around and made other stops when he said it was a direct cab to the ferry dock. You know why I was miffed? It was one less hour I had on "my island".

I am loving this thread... Thank you for all of your stories...
Tami
Image[/url]
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

I certainly know what you mean because "I get it too". I absolutely drive my family crazy because STJ is all I talk about and just can't wait to get back. I just think I'm a more calm, reasonable, happier, person when I am there so I'm looking forward to June when I return with my husband for my sister and her husband's 20th wedding anniversary, just got to figure out how to make my ticker! cheers!
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

All of you have really made this a great conversation.

St. John, for me, was filled with so many great little moments. I loved waking up before my husband and sharing a snack with the donkeys outside of my villa each morning. I felt so calm, so at peace. It was just me and them and it was just so nice.

And then there was the time when I was swimming alongside a turtle in Maho Bay. We looked at each other and just swam ever so peacefully. It was pure bliss.

Or the nights when we would sit at the overlook and watch the sun fall over Cruz Bay.

I really think it's all of the little moments that make St. John so special.
Jenn, News of St. John