POLAR COOLER

Travel discussion for St. John
junebug

POLAR COOLER

Post by junebug »

polar coolers .... did any one ever purchase one, what size & are they worth the money . we'll be camping at ivans for 5 nights..... thanks 8)
CBama

Post by CBama »

I purchased the 12 pack...and it doesn't hold very much...I would go with the 24 pack...
augie

Post by augie »

I have a 6, two 12s, four 24s (including the backpack version), and two of the 48s.

I like em...
Come see us!
junebug

Post by junebug »

AUGIE, DO U LIKE THE 48 PACK I WAS THINKING ABOUT THAT ONE ..WOULD THAT BE A CARRY ON ,ON THE PLANE ..THANKS
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I have all the sizes. I don't think a 48 packer would work as a carry-on as I am sure it is too big, a 24 would be a better choice.
augie

Post by augie »

PA Girl is right - the 24 is a great size for carry on, and the 48 likely too big. The Polar Bear web site used to state that all of their coolers met carry on size standards, but I think that a number of airlines have reduced the size limits in the last few years.

But we are able to fill the 24 very full and still manage to get it under the seat on the 757s we usually fly on.

The 48 is also very heavy if it's full of drinks and ice, so it's a bit unwieldy to haul to and from the beaches.
Come see us!
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

I have the 24 can size and I love it! It kept all my frozen food frozen SOLID for about 20 hours without any extra ice. They are definitely worth the money!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We have the 6, 12 and 24 sizes. They are great. We've used the 12 and 24 to carry frozen meat to STJ. They stay frozen forwell over the 12 hours we need from frezer to freezer.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

junebug

Post by junebug »

thanks to all that posted maybe the 24 can i will be getting 8) does any one recomend a car rental on st john ?? thanks for all the info.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Junebug, I've rented from two different car companies with excellent service from both. Courtesy Car Rental and Delbert Hill. Both of them let you park in their lot, if they have room, when you go downtown, which is really nice. I can also recommend Slim Man's for parking if you need to park in a parking lot.
lovethebeach

Post by lovethebeach »

I have three of the polar bear coolers and have used them to take food to St. John before. This year we have to spend the first night on St. Thomas, so we will be leaving our house at 4 am and not arriving on St. John until noon the following day. If all our stuff is frozen, do you think the polar bear coolers will keep it cold that long?
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

lovethebeach wrote:I have three of the polar bear coolers and have used them to take food to St. John before. This year we have to spend the first night on St. Thomas, so we will be leaving our house at 4 am and not arriving on St. John until noon the following day. If all our stuff is frozen, do you think the polar bear coolers will keep it cold that long?
We did door-to-door trip of over 36 hours and our stuff stayed frozen. I probably over did it with the techi ice, I put one layer on the bottom, a layer of meat, a layer of cardboard, and so on. I also did a layer of cardboard on top too. I don't think I needed the middle layer of techi ice Just keep packed tight and don't open it.
tochin

Post by tochin »

May be a silly question but.....

What do you use to pack the meats in these coolers? Ice is technically a liquid and are the gel packs acceptable? Anyone ever have a problem with what is allowed on the plane?

Thanks!
augie

Post by augie »

tochin wrote:May be a silly question but.....

What do you use to pack the meats in these coolers? Ice is technically a liquid and are the gel packs acceptable? Anyone ever have a problem with what is allowed on the plane?

Thanks!
I usually use...frozen meat!

Freeze it rock solid ahead of time, and pack enough in so that you don't have empty spots in the cooler, and keep it closed tight as much as possible and you won't need anything else. As you noted, ice is a liquid and ice substitutes are technically gels. Some folks have had sporadic success getting techni-ice through, but that largely depends on luck of the draw with your TSA screener, so why take the chance since you don't need to?
Come see us!