Green Flash

Travel discussion for St. John
TraumaQueen

Green Flash

Post by TraumaQueen »

Where is the best place to see this IF it happens? Does it last long enough to photograph?

Have any of you seen it? Any pictures you'd like to share?
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

I've never seen in SJ because it happens as the sun hits the horizon at the water and I've never been in a place to see that actually happen. I've seen it many times in Hawaii and a few times here in California. And NO my experience is that it is a FLASH and happens in a nano-second so no photo opps.
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

snorkelqueen wrote:I've never seen in SJ because it happens as the sun hits the horizon at the water and I've never been in a place to see that actually happen. I've seen it many times in Hawaii and a few times here in California. And NO my experience is that it is a FLASH and happens in a nano-second so no photo opps.
That's awesome you've actually seen it! Thanks for letting me know it happens too fast. I'll just sit back and enjoy it if I can find a spot instead of trying to photograph it!
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

IMO, you'd have a difficult time seeing one from STJ. Besides STT & the out-lying cays generally blocking a view of the horizon, the low clouds particular to that region would foul up a perfect view of the sunset. (Although those same clouds contribute to creating some great colors at sunset!)

I've seen a couple of them in the San Diego area. Often low humidity there, so perfect views of the horizon at sunset.

I'm not saying that its impossible to see it from STJ; just low odds.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Have only seen once on St John, in early January when the sun was setting as far south as it ever gets, so there was a clear horizon from where we were.
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

A nice alternative is looking for the Southern Cross.
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

JohnM wrote:A nice alternative is looking for the Southern Cross.
What is the Southern Cross? I know, Google is my friend, but let me know the best viewing area as I look it up.....
Teddy Salad

Post by Teddy Salad »

The Southern Cross is a star constellation that is only visible from about the Tropic of Cancer southward. The only US states it is visible from are Hawaii and the Florida keys.

The best viewing times of the year from the northern tropics is May and June. It is visible at other times of the year, but you have to either stay up late or get up very early. It is not visible in the fall because it is above the horizon only in the daytime.

The optimal viewing time for mid-May in St. John is about 9:30 PM. That is when it is highest in the sky. It will be due South then. It looks like a kite to me. To see it, you will need an unobstructed view to the South and clear skies. The topmost star is about 15 degrees above the horizon at 9:30 PM. How much is 15 degrees? Well, if you make a fist and extend your arm in front of you with your thumb on top, place the bottom of your fist on the horizon. The top of your fist will be at about 10 degrees. So 15 degrees is about a "fist and a half".

Later in the evening, the Cross will move westward, drop toward the horizon, and tilt to the right.

I always try to see it when I'm in the tropics. I've never seen the green flash. My wife says if we have a Tanqueray bottle on hand we could see it then. :)
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Never seen it on STJ.

Grand Case in St Martin is perfect for the Flash!
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Teddy Salad wrote:The Southern Cross is a star constellation that is only visible from about the Tropic of Cancer southward. The only US states it is visible from are Hawaii and the Florida keys.

The best viewing times of the year from the northern tropics is May and June. It is visible at other times of the year, but you have to either stay up late or get up very early. It is not visible in the fall because it is above the horizon only in the daytime.

The optimal viewing time for mid-May in St. John is about 9:30 PM. That is when it is highest in the sky. It will be due South then. It looks like a kite to me. To see it, you will need an unobstructed view to the South and clear skies. The topmost star is about 15 degrees above the horizon at 9:30 PM. How much is 15 degrees? Well, if you make a fist and extend your arm in front of you with your thumb on top, place the bottom of your fist on the horizon. The top of your fist will be at about 10 degrees. So 15 degrees is about a "fist and a half".

Later in the evening, the Cross will move westward, drop toward the horizon, and tilt to the right.

I always try to see it when I'm in the tropics. I've never seen the green flash. My wife says if we have a Tanqueray bottle on hand we could see it then. :)
Wow! Thank you for the info! We'll be sure to look for it!
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

mit43 wrote:Never seen it on STJ.

Grand Case in St Martin is perfect for the Flash!
We hope to make it there for a week on year. It was a close second to St John, but I've seen those planes land in person :shock:
Chet

Post by Chet »

Nearing sunset on Rehoboth Beach with a thunderstorm moving out to sea and the sun coming through the western clouds. The green flash and a purple horizon. Spectacular.

This adds a whole new meaning to Lower Slower Delaware (LSD) :wink:

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

This is a link to a SkyChart for the month of May in the Caribbean region. The Southern Cross ... the constellation "Crux" ... is due south in the diagram.

http://skymaps.com/skymaps/tesme1205.pdf

Since this chart is for theoretical observation at the Equator, Crux will be lower in the horizon when viewed at latitude 18. Still, its quite visible with good skies. Great viewing location is the passenger ferry to/from Red Hook in the evening.