Tell me why I should stay somewhere other than Coral Bay...

Travel discussion for St. John
Patty

Post by Patty »

The entrance to Seagrape Hill is opposite of the fire station in Coral Bay just before Skinny Legs. There is a sign at the bottom of the hill We love Seagrape Hill.....our most favorite place to be!
wink1134

Post by wink1134 »

We're staying at Casa Luna in less than 2 weeks on the Coral Bay side. Never stayed there before, but I'm super excited about it. I'll post a report once we return.
http://www.islandgetawaysinc.com/casa-luna.html
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Thanks everybody! I'll take a peek at some Gifft Hill locations.

Hey wink that ticker is looking really good! Enjoy! (Casa Luna is on my list so I look forward to hearing your feedback.)
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

We have stayed in Coral Bay, Choc Hole,Contant point but my favorite is the Rendezvous/Klien Bay area for the view. We love the laid back feel of Coral Bay but the roosters were off the hook the last trip, non-stop night and day.We also like having more choices of restaurants and markets on the way back from town, beaches at the end of the day. Just my opinion,if I'm on St.John, I'm happy
SmilinJack

Post by SmilinJack »

Hi!

Here's one for you to look at:

http://www.caribehavens.com/great.htm

We are recent converts to Fish Bay, having stayed there last May and again in February. And we stayed at two very different places, but the first, Fishbone, would be too small for you. This one, Great Escape, turned out to be one of the best places we've stayed in 8 trips to the island. It's because, even though it's a Fish Bay address, the house is on the East side of Fish Bay point, on Hillside Lane, facing Reef Bay. Simply one of the most fantastic views of the island I have ever seen! To be honest, this is not a new villa; this was one of the first places built in Fish Bay Estates, and the outside could use a little work, but it is very large inside, with 3 bedrooms and two baths. There is a pool & a huge wraparound deck to accommodate that killer view. We find Fish Bay to have the same kind of laid back vibe that we find in Coral, but with a shorter drive into Cruz Bay. I will admit a bias here as well - Great Escape is the 4th property we have booked through Nancy Hedlund at Caribe Havens, and it is our personal mission to try to send as many folks to Nancy as we can. She is a long-time St. John dweller, and just a great, great person. We love Nancy! So check it out. If you have other questions I can answer, just ask! Good luck in your search and have fun wherever you stay!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

SmilinJack wrote:Hi!

Here's one for you to look at:

http://www.caribehavens.com/great.htm

We are recent converts to Fish Bay, having stayed there last May and again in February. And we stayed at two very different places, but the first, Fishbone, would be too small for you. This one, Great Escape, turned out to be one of the best places we've stayed in 8 trips to the island. It's because, even though it's a Fish Bay address, the house is on the East side of Fish Bay point, on Hillside Lane, facing Reef Bay. Simply one of the most fantastic views of the island I have ever seen! To be honest, this is not a new villa; this was one of the first places built in Fish Bay Estates, and the outside could use a little work, but it is very large inside, with 3 bedrooms and two baths. There is a pool & a huge wraparound deck to accommodate that killer view. We find Fish Bay to have the same kind of laid back vibe that we find in Coral, but with a shorter drive into Cruz Bay. I will admit a bias here as well - Great Escape is the 4th property we have booked through Nancy Hedlund at Caribe Havens, and it is our personal mission to try to send as many folks to Nancy as we can. She is a long-time St. John dweller, and just a great, great person. We love Nancy! So check it out. If you have other questions I can answer, just ask! Good luck in your search and have fun wherever you stay!
We have rented from Nancy before :)

Do you have any pictures of the new pool?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
SmilinJack

Post by SmilinJack »

We have rented from Nancy before :)

Do you have any pictures of the new pool?[/quote]

Hi Teresa_Rae!

I know I have pictures, but I have to be honest, I've never uploaded a picture here, so don't really know how. But I will learn and post a couple as soon as I figure it out!!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

You have to upload them to a photo hosting site first, so if it's too much trouble I can PM you with my email address, which would be quite a bit easier.
- Mark Twain
toni

Post by toni »

We rented great escape two years ago. Have pictures and can post in a day or so. PM me if you have questions. Beautiful views, some issues. We have rented through nancy twice.
SmilinJack

Post by SmilinJack »

This is for Teresa-Rae.

Sorry I dropped the ball on this. Please go ahead and PM me and I'll send you the pictures. I also have a silly little "tour video" of Great Escape if you'd like me to send that as well. Again, sorry for the delay...
SmilinJack
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

In response to the original question, I can give three reasons-

-Sam and Jack's
-Deli Grotto
-Baked in the Sun

We like to split a big sandwich between snorkels at the beach and Coral Bay as far as I know has nothing to offer in terms of delis or sandwich shops.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Steve those are good reasons! Loved the sammies we got at Deli Grotto and I'll have to put the other two on my list. hmm... can't have too many tho since 8 Tuff is at the <i>end</i> of our trip.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

SmilinJack wrote:This is for Teresa-Rae.

Sorry I dropped the ball on this. Please go ahead and PM me and I'll send you the pictures. I also have a silly little "tour video" of Great Escape if you'd like me to send that as well. Again, sorry for the delay...
SmilinJack
No problem, and don't worry about it, Toni actually emailed me some pictures :)
- Mark Twain
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Personally, I can see no reason to change! I like the quiet side, but I would stay anywhere just to get there! Stayed on Seagrape Hill last time and LOVED it! We are staying out at Sun, Moon, and Stars this summer above Calabash Boom and I bet I love that, too!!! :wink:
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Perhaps the Catherineburg area would be a good middle ground for you? Or close to Francis (choices are limited and expensive)? Or the Ajax peak or Mamey Peak area?

I suggest you scour the Google map to see where everything is a have a better way of judging location and distance.
Tickerless :(