DC area friends, looking for a hotel/neighborhood recommend

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
PA Girl

DC area friends, looking for a hotel/neighborhood recommend

Post by PA Girl »

We are thinking about planning a trip to DC over Thanksgiving, probably Wednesday to Sunday, and I am looking for suggestions.

We plan on doing the museums and monuments, typical tourist stuff.

We enjoy staying in neighborhoods where we can walk to attractions and out for dinner in the evenings.

Is there are an area close to the mall that also has nice dining options for the evening?

Or are we better off staying away from the main area, in a different neighborhood that has more neighborhood offerings for the evening?

We don't mind taking cabs or the metro to reach the museums.

While the budget isn't unlimitied, we don't mind paying for a nice hotel in a good location as part of what we enjoy about a city location is experiencing the neighborhood.
DCphoto

Post by DCphoto »

Hi!
I love Georgetown, there are some small hotels right in Georgetown.

http://www.georgetowninn.com/?utm_sourc ... _places_ms

Not walking distance to the Mall. Taxi is best option from this location, plenty of night life,great bars and restaurants,shopping! and the Georgetown waterfront. Very cool location.

Good luck!
Pat

Post by Pat »

I can recommend Marriott Metro Center. Nice hotel and literally steps to the metro!!! :D
Grootpan

Post by Grootpan »

Woodley Park and Dupont Circle are both on the Red Line of the Metro. Its not far from the Mall and an easy cab ride or metro ride. There are a slew of hotels within just a few blocks from small boutique to large Marriots. Also the restaurant scene is excellent in both neighborhoods.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

I can also recommend the Marriot at Metro Center. It's been a few years since we stayed there though. Also we have stayed at The Embassy Suites near the Convention Center. Good location and nice hotel. We walked to the Mall, but a bit of a "hoof". But it is close to the Chinatown Metro stop.
Enjoy your planning :)
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

PA Girl,

There isn't much in terms of evening dining or attractions within walking distance of the museums and monuments; they're mostly a daytime activity.

Although cabs are an option, I think the best way to get around DC is by metro (see http://wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm). The museums and Washington Monument are close to the Smithsonian stop, which is on metro's Orange line. It runs east-west, from Virginia to Capitol Hill and points east.

There are safe, lively neighborhoods all around the city, but I'd suggest Dupont Circle for a good variety of close-in hotels and eateries. Dupont is on the Red line, but it's easy to change to the Orange line at Metro Center. (Georgetown's also good, but it's not near a metro stop.)

Let me know if you have specific questions.

TM