What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I'm too lazy to go back and look to see who, if anyone, recommended the book: "A Dog's Purpose" but damn, that was good. I went on to read the sequel (which finishes up the whole thing), "A Dog's Journey." Highly recommend. Be sure to be in a private place and have tissues around while reading the book(s).
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
Pat

Fifty Shades...

Post by Pat »

There's been so much hype about this book. I got a chuckle today at Costco. Plenty of ladies, myself included, thumbing through it but no one put it in their cart to purchase.
:wink:
Connie

Post by Connie »

I stopped reading 50 shades. I just couldn't get through it. Rather have more story to a book.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Connie wrote:I stopped reading 50 shades. I just couldn't get through it. Rather have more story to a book.
We were visiting family this weekend and one woman loved it and another said she had to force the first half but liked it by the end.

Haven't read it yet. I need to start working on my list.
beach1

Post by beach1 »

Looking for a new book to read! Some books I have read recently that I have enjoyed: The Kitchen House, The Paris Wife, Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, My Life in France by Julia Child.
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

Just read The Dog's Purpose, I agree with Marcia...a very good book.

Prior to that read The Lost Wife (Alyson Richman), which I also enjoyed. At a high level, the book focuses on the lives of two young lovers in Prague whose lives are town apart by by the Nazi invasion in WWII.

Read No Second Chance (Harlan Coben)...an older one of his. An easy, entertaining read.

Recently read Shanghai Girls (Lisa See). Through it was good, not great, but I do enjoy historical fiction.

Finally, I strongly recommend Unbroken (Laura Hillenbrand). Husband also read it. One of the best books I have read recently.
beach1

Post by beach1 »

Thanks, I love historical fiction. I will add those to my list. I started Cutting for Stone on audio but had to return it before I finishished. (long book) I liked the writers style and am waiting to finish. Has anyone read that one?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

beach1 wrote:Thanks, I love historical fiction. I will add those to my list. I started Cutting for Stone on audio but had to return it before I finishished. (long book) I liked the writers style and am waiting to finish. Has anyone read that one?
I have Cutting For Stone but haven't started it. It is long and I want to have several days of uninterrupted time to enjoy it. I've heard wonderful things about it.

Anyone here pre-order Maryanne O'Hara's book yet (Cascade)? It's getting fantastic reviews and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

lprof

Post by lprof »

Marcia (Mrs. Pete) wrote:
Anyone here pre-order Maryanne O'Hara's book yet (Cascade)? It's getting fantastic reviews and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
Yes, I have, for Kindle and a hard copy to gift... so looking forward to reading it!

http://www.maryanneohara.com/
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

I started Cutting for Stone, but never got through it. Not quite sure why. There were parts that I was thoroughly engaged and interested, but then (for me) there were chapters that I was less interested in. It certainly is well written. I still have the book and may finish it one day, but likely won't.
Pat

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Pat »

Anyone reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn? Friends who are avid readers highly recommended this book. :D
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Pat wrote:Anyone reading Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn? Friends who are avid readers highly recommended this book. :D
I read it and enjoyed it.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

mbw1024

Re:

Post by mbw1024 »

AH wrote:"The Beach Tree" by Karen White is a fictional story about an extended families' life in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina.
AH
I read this and enjoyed. Also just read Sea Change by the same author and enjoyed that very much. Now reading the Flight of Emma Hardy and I love it.
beach1

Post by beach1 »

Just finished Cutting for Stone. Very good book.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I recently finished reading "Forever" by Pete Hamill. I really loved this book and highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-Novel-Pet ... ete+hamill
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.