Traffic on site

Travel discussion for St. John
STTlover

Re: Traffic on site

Post by STTlover »

I've started to post about our trip to STT over on that thread if anyone is in need of a trip report fix. Hoping to get the third installment up by tomorrow!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

EagleRayLover wrote:Let's face it- no one like change-doesn't matter if it's here, Facebook, or other aspects of our life. That being said- Im not getting on as much just because of busy schedules and stress. I'm not sure it's my place to complain too much about a site that is run for free, maintained by Antoby who does a superb job, and has kept me well informed in the past and continues to do so now. Most important to me - it has provided some wonderful feiendships that I may not have otherwise, so I'm sticking around, even if I'm not on daily!! 8)
**LIKE** :D
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Toss in a dolphin encounter and I think you've got a winner! :lol:
dhanc1 wrote:I think it would be a great idea to tear down Gallows Point to construct a 12 story high rise. It would have to be themed so as to attract the most visitors. I'm thinking Elvis. You could build a huge Elvis bust that could be seen throughout the area. It would of course have to have a dock for cruise ships. Elvis music would be played 24 hours a day with a sufficient volume to drown out the Beach Bar. A large guitar shaped lazy river would wind around the whole complex. Oh, and you would need lots of activities and rides to attract as many small children as possible
Pia

Post by Pia »

Not a trip report but you can go and read our blog if you aren't already re: the trials and tribulations of building on STJ - you have to go back almost 3 years though - here is the first entry and if you are following, yesterday was day one of load bearing wall demo and new entry was posted :)

http://onawhimstjohn.wordpress.com/2009 ... en-design/

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
ms411

Post by ms411 »

To satisfy everyone's STJ fix, maybe I'll do a "stayvaca" report on the new concession at Honeymoon. I live on St Thomas, but try to visit St John as much as I can. Stay tuned for my "stayca" report!
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

dhanc1 wrote: Throw out anything, I'll start ----I think it would be a great idea to tear down Gallows Point to construct a 12 story high rise. It would have to be themed so as to attract the most visitors. I'm thinking Elvis. You could build a huge Elvis bust that could be seen throughout the area. It would of course have to have a dock for cruise ships.
It would look better on the Grande Bay site and only be slightly less appalling.
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Here's a little controversy....

I'm actually fond of the changes that have been made. To me, it feels easier to read.
:wink:
vav

Post by vav »

Anthony, Keep up the great work!! It takes alot of time to do what you do!
Sawed that board three times and it is still too short...
bobob1916

Post by bobob1916 »

mnfun2bme wrote:Here's a little controversy....

I'm actually fond of the changes that have been made. To me, it feels easier to read.
I agree 100%.....easier to read and navigate.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

mnfun2bme wrote:Here's a little controversy....

I actually agree, I have decided that I like the new look better too.

We all complained when the old forum changed over from the older forum format, but we got used to the new setup. I am sure that will happen here too, eventually.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

I will say change is always hard - I hear your opinions on this. One thing I am considering is killing one of the smaller columns to just give the whole forum more room. Anyway I will continue to tweak once I get back home.

As to the traffic - I have to agree that Facebook especially is taking traffic from here. What is really interesting is that unique traffic (so - new users) continues to go up. And overall traffic is about the same for the last couple of years, but page views are way down. This has a lot to do with the Off Topic forum being tamed I guess.

Anyway - it is still a young medium and always a challenge. I hope people continue to stick around and keep this a viable alternative to corporate owned sites.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Anthony wrote:I will say change is always hard - I hear your opinions on this. One thing I am considering is killing one of the smaller columns to just give the whole forum more room. Anyway I will continue to tweak once I get back home.
One of the things that you might (?) be able to change is the width column that identifies the poster. For example, mine says this:

instead, simply:
would be adequate, and if I recall is how it used to look.

Just a thought :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
dhanc1

Post by dhanc1 »

For me, I'll definately stick around. This has been a gold mine of information and I was concerned we were losing some interest. It looks like there are more posts lately. Thanks for keeping this up and going.
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

I too agree with so many others. Anthony does a great job and his work has brought many pleasures and a means of escape to many of us. BUT.....Anthony if you don't modify the site my personal opinion is you risk damaging your business. All of us that have commented do so with respect. Many of us will hang with you but I do believe you will struggle to sustain new traffic. After all of your hard work this must be disappointing to hear from those of us that support and appreciate you. But the best comparison I can come up with is that you have created the forum version of "new Coke". The sooner you revert back the better it will be for your business. Good luck in however you chose to proceed..

By the way I just asked my wife Kate, what her opinion was. Her response, the forum used to be the 1st thing I opened everyday, and now I never look at it.

Just my humble opinion. I hope I am wrong, but I fear not.

We hope our comments are useful and are not meant to be negative. Only comments that we hope provide valuable feedback.

Scott and Kate
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I can not remember the year that VIOL started but I can assure you that I was here when it did.
It has changed more than a few times. It happens.

I have no issues at all with the new format. Is it different to look at and post pics? Sure, but I remember when you could not post pics on some of these travel forums.

This is still the place that we can discuss our favorite place. It is still the place that helped me meet some of my closest friends. It will always be the place that I come to when I need to feed my addiction.

and.......based on the number of replies to this post, there are plenty of people still here!