Traffic on site

Travel discussion for St. John
Anthony
Site Admin

Re: Traffic on site

Post by Anthony »

I will say, this job has definitely thickened my skin over the years (meaning I don't take any of these criticisms personally), but IMHO the newer format is really not that much different - and there are so many more and better tools. Font size change, email and print links, the use of BBCode to post image and video, report a post link, etc. etc.

The only things that are really "different" is that the style was much more white on white. This has the light blue/grey tone to separate post from post, and then the sandy color when text is quoted. That is a bit much maybe but I am totally "used" to it already.

Sometimes (as any regular knows) it is just time to move on - these things don't last forever for everyone. But I just visited TripAdvisor and a couple of other places and I don't think there is that much of a difference between any of them.

YOU GUYS are the difference here. You always have been. I was just lucky to start this thing when I did.

Anyway - good night! Back to Florence tomorrow - a lot to do between now and then. And once I am home and squared away there will be some more fine tuning, believe me.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
Boston Mike

Post by Boston Mike »

Anthony,

Great job as always on giving people that love or want to visit St. John a cool place to go and interact. :)

Format has changed. It will be fine. People will get use to it and return. For others that can’t adjust and want to keep complaining, move on with your bad self.

Besides, I think it’s just a summer thing. It will pick up.
Life begins where the land ends!
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Xislandgirl wrote:I can not remember the year that VIOL started but I can assure you that I was here when it did.
It has changed more than a few times. It happens.

I have no issues at all with the new format. Is it different to look at and post pics? Sure, but I remember when you could not post pics on some of these travel forums.

This is still the place that we can discuss our favorite place. It is still the place that helped me meet some of my closest friends. It will always be the place that I come to when I need to feed my addiction.

and.......based on the number of replies to this post, there are plenty of people still here!

AMEN!
AH

Post by AH »

This is the first post I've made since "the change". I am also one of those people who does not accept change well. I have loved this site for years and feel it is a part of my life. Was I sad to see the change? YES. Will it keep me away? NO. Good luck with figuring out the correct way to keep everyone happy, Anthony!
AH
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Anthony wrote:I will say, this job has definitely thickened my skin over the years (meaning I don't take any of these criticisms personally), but IMHO the newer format is really not that much different - and there are so many more and better tools. Font size change, email and print links, the use of BBCode to post image and video, report a post link, etc. etc.

The only things that are really "different" is that the style was much more white on white. This has the light blue/grey tone to separate post from post, and then the sandy color when text is quoted. That is a bit much maybe but I am totally "used" to it already.

Sometimes (as any regular knows) it is just time to move on - these things don't last forever for everyone. But I just visited TripAdvisor and a couple of other places and I don't think there is that much of a difference between any of them.

YOU GUYS are the difference here. You always have been. I was just lucky to start this thing when I did.

Anyway - good night! Back to Florence tomorrow - a lot to do between now and then. And once I am home and squared away there will be some more fine tuning, believe me.
I love the new WYSIWYG editing tool and what seems visually appealing to me is the color change between the quote and the reply. Nice job, Anthony. Can't wait to see what the fine tuning brings. :D
brenda

Post by brenda »

DeeDee, I need the like button :) Things change!
Going "home" again October 26th!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Anthony, I hope you haven't taken my or other’s unfavorable comments as complains/whining but more like feedback. I think they actually mean well. They care that's why they post instead of just maybe leaving without saying anything. We all know changes happen. Some adjust to them fast, some slow and there might be folks who never get used to them.

I admit I am one of those who are adjusting to them slower than I hoped but am sticking around. This is a great forum with a great moderator!! Have been trying to write a mini trip report but it’s taking longer than I expected. It might turn out to be not so mini, after all... I assume that's okay. :roll:
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Pickle wrote:Anthony, I hope you haven't taken my or other’s unfavorable comments as complains/whining but more like feedback.
I definitely do (take it as feedback) - there was just a little head scratching by me, that's all!

Unfortunately I had to do this so fast that I know I left a lot more "features" in than last time, but I got used to them so quickly I don't know what to remove... still thinking about it though!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
MIke

Post by MIke »

Come on all you old dogs,learn some new tricks.
Change anything but the Island.

Ciao Baby
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Anthony, Love the Format, the forum, the moderator, the posters and the island. That's coming from an Old Dog...lol. I do agree it's a 'summer thing'. My interst in the forum decreases until I'm at that official 6 month out window until the next visit. There's a direct correlation between number of visits to the forum and the amount of time left to the next visit.

I'm not one of the Trip Repoters, but always have lended advice and ideas when I thought I could help.

My Tri reports would bore people any ways. We got up, went to beach, drove to lunch, back to villa for time at the pool, sunset cocktails and then to town for dinner...repeat daily till they kick us out of the villa.

Thanks for a great resource and an escape to our fav place in the world that keeps us coming ack year after year.

Big Cheezy :D