Pic's Pics & Report - August 2012

Travel discussion for St. John
Pickle

Pic's Pics & Report - August 2012

Post by Pickle »

I had planned to write a short trip report but ended up with one long installment (no surprise). I thank the folks in advance if they read it all. And even if you can't make it to the end, I thank you for trying.

We had been on St. John this year already and were back again in just over two months. This was the first time we visited twice in one year. We'd had to sacrifice a few things to make this trip possible but we thought it was very much worth it.

As we watched the island getting closer in the ferry, my husband and I kept looking at each other almost in disbelief. "Are we really back already? It doesn't feel real..." we kept murmuring even the next day. It took a while for the happy reality to sink in. We were fortunate and we were grateful - in spite of Isaac passing south of the island at the same time as we were there.

We stayed one week in Cruz Bay.

Our favorite activity on island is snorkeling. Prior to the trip, we were thinking 6 full days wouldn't be nearly enough for all the snorkeling we wanted to do. Then Isaac grazed the island, which left us with 4 and a half days instead of 6. What can I say... we were just happy to be on St. John and tried to make the best of it.

Let me start this trip report with beaches and snorkeling (no surprise here, either).

Beaches & Snorkeling ----------

We are annual May/June visitors. This was our first time visiting St. John in August and didn't really find it to be much hotter than late May or early June, but the water was noticeably warmer. The warmer the water is, the longer I can snorkel. Yes, I was very, very happy.

Maho:

We snorkeled in the morning and lounged on the beach in the afternoon. The weather was gorgeous. Unfortunately, my husband wasn't feeling up to par and never went into the water again after snorkeling. I waded alone as he sat on the beach alone. Don't you just hate feeling sick or watching your travel companion not being himself/herself on vacation? I was concerned but, thankfully, he felt much better the next day and the rest of the trip.

Now what do you think the odds are that Pia would come set up next to us at Maho? It was a pleasure running into you, Pia.

Soon after we got into the water, we came across a few Moon Jellies...

Image Image

Hi there, Gray Snapper.

Corkscrew Anemone

Almost always find Spotted Scorpionfish at Maho (and Francis) – although they are not so easy to spot.

Yellowline Arrow Crab

Magnificent Feather Duster – a flower with a mouth in the middle.

We used to find snorkeling at Maho good but not particularly exciting. For our past several visits we have been fortunate to see some good stuff - an octopus actively hunting, Lemon Sharks swimming right by or eels bravely poking their heads out, etc. That said, we still favor the next bay for satisfying our snorkeling fix.

Francis:

This has probably been our overall favorite beach. It is extensive enough for us off-season visitors to usually have our own space and relax (we stay on the far right side of the bay). We find the snorkeling along the shoreline towards Mary Point to be really good and always find a variety of sea life.

This Green Turtle was repeatedly trying to shake the large load off its back but unsuccessfully.

Green Moray: At first he was only partially exposed and appeared to be gauging me. I guess he was hesitant to come out but must have really wanted to get into the hole right below my belly so made a courageous move in the end. After slithering into the hole, he never appeared again.

True Tulip: This slow mover was very active and kept moving, awkwardly at times, like it needed to get somewhere. It almost looked to be in a hurry... but it was still too slow to follow. The destination remained unknown. I ran out of patience.

Image Image

Inshore Lizardfish: Well, your head is giving you away.

Checkered Puffer: They blend in pretty well among rocks (and grass, too).

Checkered Puffer is one of my favorite fish to find. They are cutely skittish. This guy didn't realize I had beaten him ahead of his projected path and was waiting for him behind the rock.

Blenny: I took this shot the moment he turned towards me. I think he didn't exactly expect to see me.

Underwater at Francis never fails to amuse us.

Hawksnest:

Isaac was getting closer. The water was a little choppy and the visibility was subpar. We didn't see as many fish as we are used to seeing there. Even so there is always a school of Surgeonfish at Hawksnest.

(Signature) Elkhorn Corals

The snorkeling at Hawksnest was just okay that day. We thought Maho would be calmer so drove there for more snorkeling. By the time we got to Maho, we could see the sky was getting darker. Sure enough, soon after we started snorkeling, it began pouring with thunder in the distance.

Just one photo from pouring rain Maho... Hairy Blenny.

Haulover South:

Isaac was getting even closer. We visited Sloop Jones in the morning and thought there was time for one more snorkel. Haulover South was very calm and the visibility was actually good.

We had been in the water for no more than 10 minutes when it started raining hard. The world above the water turned so white that I could barely distinguish the trees along the shore. We usually keep snorkeling even in the rain, but it was a real downpour, and with Isaac approaching, we thought the weather might never improve. We aborted snorkeling and drove back to the other side of the island. Of course, it was almost sunshiny in Cruz Bay.

Sun Anemone, ironically called, at Haulover South

We thought the brief time at Haulover South was our last snorkeling on this trip. We stocked up and waited for Isaac to arrive and pass.

Gibney:

It turned out that Isaac brought more waves than anything else. It was windy but not terribly and didn't rain as much as we had expected. The day after the storm passed, we weren't very hopeful for finding nice snorkeling. We imagined the waves had stirred up the water, creating poor visibility. So it was a pleasant surprise to find the promising clear water at Gibney on our last full day on island. We gave it a try and were pleased with the surprisingly nice visibility. I even ended up finding a creature that I had never seen before...

It is hard to tell from this photo but this is the best I could do. It was kind of hidden and never came out. It was about 5 inches long and kept slithering slowly and awkwardly. My guess is some sort of Pipefish... what do you think? I have never seen any Pipefish so I'm not certain.

Yellow Goatfish around Brain Coral

Bearded Fireworm - a frequent character of the reefs

Spotted Cleaner Shrimp: It's not easy to find this tiny glassy shrimp. I think the best bet is looking carefully into anemones, especially Corkscrew Anemone. You might find it hanging out among them - at least that's how I've always found it.

Banded Coral Shrimp: This is a common shrimp but is usually hidden under rocks.

Flamigo Tongue: You can see how it feeds on Gorgonians. It is pretty to look at but is a predator to Sea Fans, Sea Whips, etc.

Foureye Butterflyfish (juvenile)

Sea Pearl

After a long happy snorkeling, we sat on the beach and watched dark clouds slowly but surely covering the sky above us. When the wind began whipping, we packed up and left the beach just in time to escape the rain.

That dark Gibney was the end of our "Beaches & Snorkeling" on this trip. Did we have time to soak it all in? Perhaps not. We had more ominous weather than sun and were chased away from beaches and snorkeling by downpours at times. Did we still have fun? Yes, and that is a big "Yes". It's kind of strange that 4 and a half days for snorkeling, instead of 10+ days that we usually have, didn't leave us with unfulfilled feelings. That was opposite of what we had imagined. The trip did feel short to us, but we must’ve been just very happy with whatever time we had on St. John... rain or shine or storm.

Accommodation ----------

We stayed at Seaside at Grande Bay Resort. The owner of this suite is a member of and contributor to this forum. She is wonderful to deal with and you can take my word for it. Her on-island agent, St. John Villa Company, is great as well. We had stayed at this suite for 4 nights back in June so were familiar with it, which let us immediately settle in. We enjoyed our stay very much.

Photos of the 1BR unit, taken June 2012: http://www.flickr.com/photos/80473236@N ... 138264216/

Food ----------

(When it comes to food it slips my mind to take photos, sorry.)

Most of the restaurants were still open but some were right before closing for the fall. We didn't cook at all so ate out or did take-out for the entire week: Banana Deck, High Tide, La Plancha Del Mar, Waterfront Bistro, ZoZo's, Candi's, Deli Grotto, Sam & Jack's and Donkey Diner.

We particularly enjoyed our time at Donkey Diner and Banana Deck (we just felt relaxed) - although the best meal we had on this trip was at ZoZo's (well, the best and the most expensive). ZoZo's was surprisingly busy and we were glad we had decided to make a reservation because some folks without them were being told to wait for a couple of hours... on a weekday evening in August! We had no problem finding a table at any other restaurants without reservations. Perhaps, it was a pre-Isaac surge at ZoZo's. I don't know.

Sloop Jones ----------

We always have a great time with him and he kindly let me wander around and take photos of his funky studio. Ended up spending over an hour there as usual. Hope we didn't interrupt his storm prep much.

Image Image

Isaac ----------

In the afternoon, as Isaac was passing south of St. John, we took a short walk around Cruz Bay. It was gusty at times and even on the street I could feel grains of sand hitting my calves. It was overcast but no drops from above. The sun was trying to peak out now and then. Cruz Bay was very quiet even though some businesses seemed to be open. We walked past a few folks enjoying their drinks at the Beach Bar. We were tempted but kept on wandering. The ferry dock was deserted as there was no ferry service. The water was rather rough and thrashing and repeatedly going over the dingy dock. Some of you probably know this but the dingy dock did sustain some damage but it was quickly fixed the very next day.

We had prepared for worse but, in the end, Isaac was kind to St. John.

August ----------

The water is definitely warmer than what we are used to, and the island is quieter - if not exactly "quiet". Some locals told us that this off-season has been busier than in the past but it still felt quiet to us. As I've mentioned, we didn't find the temperature to be much, if not any, hotter than late May or early June. We've always been off-season visitors so are used to the humidity and really don't mind it.

Despite the threat of the tropical storm and its passing off the island, we truly enjoyed our time on St. John in August... to the point that we would love to repeat our visit next August if we can.

Parting Words -------

Moon Jelly - one of the first shots taken underwater on this trip. They seem to be common in the summer. The tropical storm was still days away and it was a beautiful sunny morning at Maho. Snorkeling in the warm summer water, I was as happy as I could be. I said "I" because my other half was a little sick then. I'm sure he was feeling happy as well... in his own under-the-weather way.

Hope to see you again next August, Moon...

Lovermont

Re: Pic's Pics & Report - August 2012

Post by Lovermont »

Beautiful photos, and nice Trip Report. Thanks for taking the time to post.
lprof

Post by lprof »

Pickle, you always give the forum a superb and well rounded report of your vacation! I never tire looking at your fabulous photos and learning a little of all you know of the underwater world!
Thank you for sharing the full story... I easily made it to the end, and especially for posting it on this Saturday night! :wink:
... no longer a stranger to paradise
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Pickle
Your trip reports are always long anticipated and you make me giggle as this is a short report compared to ours!! I love love love your underwater pics (as you know) , but would love some tips on getting a shot of the jellies- never been good at getting a great one and I am in awe of all of yours!! I, too am a fan of Sloop!! Love his partner, Barbara also! Not only because of his talent but because of their generosity! Kind hearted folks :D thank you for your wonderful report! Sorry for Isaac taking you out of the water, but glad you, all the "fulltimers" ( as we are all part- timers now)and our island are safe!! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Thank you for a great Saturday night St. John fix!
Jenn, News of St. John
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

like button :lol:
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Oh what a treat to check the forum and see your trip report!! You amaze me with your keen underwater eye and actually knowing the proper names of your fishy friends~~ :D
Hope you have another trip up your sleeve soon! You really, really need to compare low season with high season don't ya think? Christmas or Valentines Day in STJ sounds lovely~
Thanks for taking us with you Pickle :-) 8)
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
toni

Post by toni »

Beautiful photos, thank you so much for posting, always enjoy your reports. I liked the rain shot at maho and the beauty of the glass shrimp especially. Appreciate that you can identify all the critters you photograph. I don't really snorkel so enjoy seeing all the beauty that's under the water :D
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Wow! Thanks for sharing. The forum has been so quiet it was good to see your report. It was not too long at all.All your pictures are amazing but in particular I love the shrimp and jellyfish details the pictures showed.

Thanks for taking the time it was thoroughly enjoyed.
susan & herb

Post by susan & herb »

Pickle,
Your posts and pictures never disappoint.

Susan
Geddy3

Post by Geddy3 »

Great pictures and report! What camera do you use for the underwater shots?

Thanks!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

I really appreciate all your kind words.

EagleRay Lover, I know what you mean about Moon Jellies. Their ambiguous appearance makes taking good shots not easy. I think I got decent shots largely because of the water conditions. Most of the jellies were floating near the surface in the clear water and Maho was so calm that I could pick any angles and be still while taking photos. I got close to the jellies and used the macro setting, but the camera was struggling to focus on those vague bodies (the same thing happens when taking photos of Sea Walnuts). I took multiple shots when I thought the camera had focused on them but half of those came out not what I imagined. What's working for us is that Moon Jellies are slow. Taking multiple shots with patience (one thing I don't lack, haha) will eventually pay off.

Geddy3, I used my good old Canon D10 that I've been using for the past 4+ years. All the leak problems I've heard about make me nervous every time I take it underwater but so far mine is still working well. Some shots are Photoshopped.

Colleen, it would be nice to compare high and low seasons, but we always take the "lower accommodation costs mean longer stays on the island" route. Also, do you know I wore a thin neoprene shirt while snorkeling even in August? :roll: I might freeze in high season water. Hiking must be nice, though.
CBama

Post by CBama »

enjoyed your report!!!!

loved the underwater pictures.....
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Thanks for the report! Great photos! D10 is on my list before January.

Congrats on two trips in one year. What a thrill! Sorry Isaac had to make an appearance during your stay but it appears you had a wonderful trip regardless.

No one has commented on the red worm like creature you shot at Gibney. Have you figured out what it was? Interesting creature.

Thanks for sharing!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

mnfun2bme wrote:Thanks for the report! Great photos! D10 is on my list before January.

No one has commented on the red worm like creature you shot at Gibney. Have you figured out what it was? Interesting creature.
I'm hoping someone will chime in - but since it's not a good photo, it's probably hard to tell. It had a slightly long snout, so... I think it might be a Pipefish. It slithered but not as gracefully or softly as eels do.

You might want to check out the D20 (the newer model). I don't have it so can't give you personal insights but I'm sure some folks here have tried it by now.