Pic's Pics & Report - August 2012

Travel discussion for St. John
Maggy

Re: Pic's Pics & Report - August 2012

Post by Maggy »

Great report and stunning pictures! Love the spotted cleaner shrimp.

I'm pretty sure that's a pipehorse. I saw one in Mexico, outside playa del Carmen, but that one was brown.

Thanks for taking the time to write the report and sharing your wonderful pictures!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Great TR! Thanks for sharing! We were there too but only for 4 nights. My D10 crapped out after 3 shots. After removing battery and card and letting it dry thoroughly, it is okay. We enjoyed the warm water too and had mostly nice weather with the exception of a few passing showers.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Wow Pickles, just wow! Great trip report. Can't wait to follow you down in 21 days!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Really wonderful photos as always! I am sorry you had some bad weather but it looks like you still got some good snorkeling in. Thanks for sharing.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Thank You for taking the time to put such a beautiful report and picture gallery together.
Your ability to find such wonderful creatures is a testament to a fine snorkeler.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

What beautiful pictures! Wonder why my snorkeling experiences never quite look like that :wink:
Tickerless :(
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Pickle, your reports and photos are the best! Always. I have to ask, are you really a Fish Whisperer? How do you know where those fish are goiong to be and how do you get them to look at you and pose while you snap their pix? They never coopertate with me...I always get them swimmming away, or just the tops of them as they swim quickly below me. Just amazing! Thanks for taking the time to post them!

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Love all your pics, Pickle, and am grateful that you share them with us! Do you free dive to get your great pics, or are the subjects up where you're snorkelling?
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Ha-ha, Bert, I wish I were a Fish Whisperer. The boring truth is that I keep my eyes open so I can seize those precious moments.

Maggy, appreciate that you chimed in about the unidentified creature. I was hoping you would.

Minde, a lot of my photos were taken while floating but for some I had to dive. I don't willingly dive due to my ear pressure problems. I have to take precautions every time I fly as well. One time I didn't have my medications on a flight and ended up with an otolaryngologist for bleeding in my ears and some hearing loss, but I was okay in the end. It's such a pain. I’m always envious of scuba divers but I am happy just being a snorkeler.

I thank every one of you for your kind words!
onthelake

Post by onthelake »

Thanks for the report and Amazing pics!
[/url]
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Pickle-I am amazed at your stunning underwater pics, how long did it take to learn the names of your subjects? And what kind of camera did you use? Just beautiful :D
BreakawayBarb

Post by BreakawayBarb »

This is a perfect report with simply awesome photos. I'm looking for a good deal on a D-20, and hope to share some pics with you folks later this year. Thanks, Pic!
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Myheart'sinSTJ wrote:Pickle-I am amazed at your stunning underwater pics, how long did it take to learn the names of your subjects? And what kind of camera did you use? Just beautiful :D
I used the Canon D10.

Not sure how long. We’ve been annual visitors for the past 11 years. I'm still learning every time I see new-to-me creatures. Actually it's not just names that you learn. You start to get a pretty good idea of where and how to find certain creatures and get to know each of their characteristics and tendencies (which helps when taking photos). Still there are plenty of surprises left. It's really fun if you ask me. :)
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Thanks again for your critter expertise and info on the camera!