Villa price went down..do I ask for the discount?

Travel discussion for St. John
lsbredmond

Villa price went down..do I ask for the discount?

Post by lsbredmond »

First off, please don't flame me! this is an honest question.... I see the villa management company (Caribbean Villas) is offering a 20% discount on the villa we rented for the period of time we will be there. It's about $200 less than what we paid. On a typical vacation (staying at a hotel or a cruise) I would get the discounted rate even if the offer was made after we made our reservation. How does it work with villas? Should I ask for the discount or is that a waste of time? We have paid in full, so it would require a refund.

Thanks for your guidance.
sailorgirl

Re: Villa price went down..do I ask for the discount?

Post by sailorgirl »

You have nothing to lose by asking, go for it. $200 is not an insignificant amount of money!
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

I'd definitely ask, especially considering it's for the same time frame that you're going to be there.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Let us know how it goes~
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Pia

Post by Pia »

I would ask

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

You have nothing to lose. I can't imagine that they won't honor that given the fact that it is the same time frame.
Keep us posted.

Thanks
lsbredmond

Post by lsbredmond »

I called this morning and they were not very helpful. She said because I made my reservation back in April I would not be entitled to get the price it is now. I told that her was odd because other types of accomadations (hotels, cruises, etc) would honor the new rate. Then she said that because it's been paid in full, they can't make any changes and the discounts were just for new reservations. I guess it doesn't pay to plan ahead if you're not needing a specific villa. Too bad - that could have covered some dinners out.
Thanks for the help.
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

So would you rent from them again? How many on this forum think that this is fair?
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

So if the price went up do you think they should charge you more? Is this a last minute discount and they are trying to fill time? you think it was a good deal to lock it in when you did don't let it ruin your vacay.
Tom
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I agree with waterguy, let it go. It is standard policy for discounts to apply to new bookings only, pretty much everywhere.

I understand how you feel: I recently booked a long weekend trip for the end of this month and was happy to get a deal for "pay for two or more nights, get one night free plus a room category upgrade." John and I booked for four nights, and the following week the hotel released another special for the same time period: "pay for two or more nights and get two nights free, plus the room upgrade." I was annoyed at first but there's really nothing you can do. I am still planning on enjoying my vacation, and you should too! :D
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

I also agree with Waterguy. Unlike large corporations that own hotels and airlines, most villa owners are individuals who need to book a certain number of weeks (even at a discount) to cover some of the costs of ownership.

Hope you have a great vacation.
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

You know... I thought the same as Waterguy last night that if the price had gone up, were you willing to pay the higher price. I'm sure you're frustrated.... but try to enjoy the vacation. Don't let this ruin your time on the rock.
Sorry... but it was worth asking!
lsbredmond

Post by lsbredmond »

I know once we're there it won't even be a blip on the map... We'll be so happy to be there we won't care about it. And you're right, if the price were to go up, I would not expect to pay it. At the same time, I've never NOT gotten the current discount, so I was surprised there was no flexibility. But this is a privately owned villa, not a hotel, so it's a different circumstance - which was why I asked before. I will say I didn't hang up the phone feeling really great about how the Caribbean Villa person handled my call and I really, really hope the on island customer service is a better (less abrupt, at least moderately polite about answering questions). From what I read on the boards, the villa managers are great to work with, so maybe I just caught someone on a bad day.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Agree with the others that you are not entitiled to the discount. By paying ahead, you were assured the villa of your choice. If you had waited you might have saved the $200, but someone else might have reserved it before you.

That (the reservation/peace of mind) was "part" of what you paid for, so why would they refund it....it's a good feeling knowing for so long that you were "set".

I'm sure the rental agency will be fine, have a great trip!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I have had nothing but a positive experience with CV. We had a little emergency during our last trip while at the villa, and they were great. Try not to let the sour experience overshadow your trip. And remember to say Good morning/afternoon/evening when calling if you do need something.
Tickerless :(