WHERE is EVERYONE?

Travel discussion for St. John
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Re: WHERE is EVERYONE?

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Raise your hands if you came here from the old AOL board.

I did.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

There is an open Facebook group called St. John Peeps.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

We visited the aol page. We had aol service, ridiculously slow dial-up internet, and no cable tv. We washed our dishes by hand!!! Wait, isn't this the kind of stuff you tell grandchildren?

I recall the horror that ensued when users were asked to register on the "old" forum. In the beginning there were a lot of feathers ruffled over that. In the end I don't think it stopped this site from growing. Probably will be the same as this change. I am sure there are statistics Anthony could share, but for as long as I can recall there was always less posting in the summer and early fall months. I've just figured there were less people planning trips, I didn't read more than that.
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
~ Karen von Blixen
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Came from the old AOL board and happy to be here! Some of us AOLer's still get together every year on STT or STJ. Happy to have Anthony join us this year.
Love this forum and hope "that we can all get along"! Post regarding one our members just recently was uncalled for, sorry but it spoiled this topic for me.
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

The "oldtimers" on the board I first joined have been gone since before some of the"oldtimers" you mentioned were "newbies." People move on. Others take their place. Some come and go quickly, others linger long. Such is life.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

loria

Post by loria »

silverheels wrote:Came from the old AOL board and happy to be here! Some of us AOLer's still get together every year on STT or STJ. Happy to have Anthony join us this year.
Love this forum and hope "that we can all get along"! Post regarding one our members just recently was uncalled for, sorry but it spoiled this topic for me.
I have to agree silver heels-- it was completely uncalled for.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
lprof

Post by lprof »

The original St John AOL forum had come and gone before I even discovered the Virgin Islands! :oops:

About half of my Facebook Friends are also members of this forum... folks I have enjoyed getting to know in many more ways than relative to St John, but the island "sharing" is more personal than here on this forum. I am a member of the FB group several have mentioned... actually a closed group. It does NOT replace the sharing of information and experiences that VIOL does. I am pretty certain that no one has left this forum for the Peeps Group.

People's interests, lifestyles, and time vary with the years, and I think most who are not vocal here as often are just not interested in covering the same ground that once captured their attentions. After a number of trips, we have learned where things are, which beaches are sand and which are pebbles, how to get to the ferry, etc. I would bet that most of the "old" guard still read posts here fairly regularly. Most of the members who have been named in this thread do check in from time to time, just not as often as they once did.

I pretty much hit all the St John/Virgin Islands sites frequently... there is no place like this one! Thank you Anthony!!!
GidgetPicklebrain wrote: People move on. Others take their place. Some come and go quickly, others linger long. Such is life.
So it is!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Terry

Post by Terry »

I will never join Facebook. Just not my thing. Along with not tweets, etc.
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

I'm an old timer. I don't post a lot, but I read the forum at least once a day. I read Vicki's travel blog at travellerspoint. I used her blog to help plan our trip to Kauai. I'm trying to get back to St John next June...just working on different scenarios.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
jmq

Post by jmq »

I first came here in 2004 or so before our first trip to STT and STJ when it was formatted with that annoying branch style kind of subject thread where you had to click on each succeeding comment to open (who remembers that? :) )

Some of the old timers back then who patiently answered newbie questions like mine gradually moved on to be gradually replaced by Gromit, Flip, RickG, CAGirl, and other frequent posters.

Even though the most frequent posters were most often generously dispensing valuable STJ advice and opinions, a few others who might not have been as generous with their time actually complained that it gave the impression of the forum being too clique-y.

Perhaps that lack of gratitude, the natural progressions in any forum like this, lifestyle changes, FB, and even the assorted crap-ola associated with the political drama and trolling from 4 yrs ago may have contributed to some folks leaving or standing down.

That said, it doesn’t seem like there arent as many real newbie kinds of questions like back in the day. And I wonder why that is, because newbies still appear to be treated well, and I hope that those old forum vets who are still here and newer STJ forum members continue to kindly share their advice and opinions. I don’t reply to those kinds of posts because we haven’t been to STJ since 2009, and I wouldn’t want to give outdated advice.

But do I do jump in on subjects that interest me like photography where I think I can help, and enjoy interacting and sharing with folks on the Off Topic forum, mostly about other travel destinations we have taken (or wish to take), because there are too many other places to see in the world and too little time to see it.

The good news is that I may be seeking some VI advice here again because we do have a serious enough case of DIF (Dreaded Island Fever) that it demands a return next May to be cured. I’m thinking a combo trip of 4-5 days at Caneel and 4-5 days at Guavaberry on VG might do the trick…
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

The old AOL board! I have fond memories and still laugh about people thinking that Ruth did not exist!

I miss those days. I had my massive computer on the breakfast bar in the kitchen of my STJ apt. Staying up too late, chatting online and thinking that the internet was the most amazing thing in the world! Boy we had fun back then!
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Ruth = Easter Bunny
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Connie

Post by Connie »

Jan&MikeVa wrote:Great topic!! I have posted very seldom on here since not having the funds, means, or time to head to STJ!! And as others have mentioned..........we are friends with alot of the folks on Facebook.

But, Bandit really? Why do you show up every now and again to "blast" people. We met briefly at the Beach Bar in 2004 and you were "rude" and "unfriendly". I have spent time and kept in touch with "California Girl" since that era and she is a very good friend.

Anthony.............you should ban "Bandit" for his talk of you. The good you have done with the forum, and the benefits I have reaped are beyond belief. If you make money...........well "hello"!!! It's what we normal people do!!

Bandit didn't mention a name, but you certainly did with some rude comments of your own.

This is one reason why I do ALOT more reading than posting.
Will be back on Island 10/28 after almost 4 years of taking care of elderly parents and not being able to get away!
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

It's funny how Pete mentioned other vacation locations. We just "missed out" on our even-numbered year trip and I'll say that I didn't miss St John. too much hassle for us...to say nothing of the expense. I just am not interested in reading about a place I don't intend to visit for a while. and, any knowledge I have to share is old by now and lost in the claptrap of my wine-addled brain.

We are considering a 2014 trip but, even then, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather plop my rear end in the sand 2 1/2 hours from home in NC. No planes to worry about and the water always runs.

Plus, I'm hopelessly addicted to FB and can filter who I see and don't. I prefer it that way. I find that easier than having to sift through people who I don't care to hear from
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

HIIIIII!!!! Flip-Flop checking in! I guess I have totally fallen off the face of the earth, no? I haven't had a trip on the STJ horizon - we did San Diego this year in conjunction with a work trip and *I* (sans hubby and kids) am going with girlfriends to Kauai in December, so I've been pretty low key on here. I think I also met so many folks from the forum in real life that we now interact and keep up on FB!

That said, we are planning on bringing a family full of newbies in June/July 2013, so I am sure my visits and posts will increase exponentially soon ;-) We are going to stay in a different area and at a different time (over Carnival for the first time), so I am sure I'll have questions!

I'll check in more often for sure!

PS my littlest flipper is now a kindergartener and the original mini flip girlie is a 5th grader who is up to my 5'10 CHIN with her 10 year old self! Time flies!!!