Talk to Me About Spirit Airlines

Travel discussion for St. John
GotToGetAway

Talk to Me About Spirit Airlines

Post by GotToGetAway »

Thinking about making a high season visit to STJ, which would be a first for us. In order to make this trip fit our budget, we are considering flying Spirit Airlines. I remember some forumites having not so great things to say about Spirit Airlines.
If we don't have to check any bags and don't have any connections (flying direct), could it really be that bad???
Tickerless :(
shoosh

Re: Talk to Me About Spirit Airlines

Post by shoosh »

Beware be very aware!
Check out Spirit Airlines website thoroughly! Ive flown them three times to myrtle beach from atlantic city and this is what I have found:
They will charge you for your carry on bag and there bag fees are going up November 2012.
I did not reap much benefit from their $9 fare club that charges you $ 60 bucks.
If you need to cancel or modify your reservation it is a $125.00 fee per person
on the phone $115 online.
To my knowledge and if anyone knows differently please correct me
they do not have any agreements with other airlines to put you on another flight if they cancel or have mechanical problems. Which means you most likely won't get on a flight till the next day.
I would seriously weigh the savings difference and decide if you can deal with there stuff if you have an issue and if it is worth it
I know people who have flown them without incident. There are a lot if negative things on the internet about them. As stated earlier check out there website thoroughly. Sorry to be so negative about it but it is better to make an informed decision.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We have flown Spirit every time we have been to STJ but once...and once to NY. Maybe we are the lucky ones but we have never had an incidence with them..(knock on wood) we have always been on time never more than a few minutes delay, sure they charge for a checked bag..and a carry on..(back pack sizes are not charged for) but so do about all the other airlines as well..we paid 55.00 last trip to check a bag...but the price in savings over US air was more than 55.00. I think Delta currently charges 25.00 for a checked bag, unless you are a medallion member but Im not 100% sure on that...I just use the bag to pack things like sunscreen and things I couldn't carry on anyway...( I still dont have that carry on thing down pat..lol ) and it saves from buying that while we are on Island..US air charges 25.00 as well. Continental/United charges 25.00 for the 1st bag. I think Spirit charges for the carry on to stop people from trying to carry on bags big enough to stuff a body into...lol Long story short...All airlines have good points and bad points...but if I can save 200 or 300 a ticket even if I have to pay to check a bag...I will..
We also have their Master Card and we get 2 miles for every dollar spent...so for the last 2 yrs we have flown for less than 30.00 each trip..and I am not a member of the $9 club..I did not join that.
All airlines have delays and cancellations...I have read many times on here of peeps complaining..usually with ALL airlines..not just Spirit...
I was looking at our flight options for this summer...and will have no problems booking them..if we are late...we are late...could happen with any airline...Hope this helps ..:)
PM with any questions...:)
[/url]
hotrod270

Post by hotrod270 »

We have taken Spirit on a lot of flights, out of Detroit and never a problem. Prices are good and they always have sales going....
bchbum82

Post by bchbum82 »

Last time I flew Spirit I didnt have any huge problems just small things I thought was dumb. It seamed like the leg room was about 4-6 inches shorter to add more seats. I know most airlines are doing this now, but it seemed that theirs was worse. They love to nickel and dime you. There is nothing complimentary. Everything including water cost you. Just my $.02.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Basically, you get what you pay for, and only what you pay for. Read the fine print. There is an up charge for everything, including a seat reservation. I need to save at least $100 to make them worthwhile. They have less leg room and the seat is actually thinner.

But, given all that, I have had three flights with them where the price difference made them the best choice. How much are the up-charges worth to you?

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

I forgot to mention abt the seat charge... :oops: what we do, is just not buy seats...and we usually will get better seats..Im guessing because the cheaper ones are already bought Im not sure..and we havent had any problems not getting to sit together...we tried this the last 3 or 4 flights we have taken with them and worked out fine for us...:)
And if we want something to drink we just buy something after we are thru security and carry it on with us..for us the flight is 2 legs from Myrtle beach...to Ft Lauderdale and then on to STT..so usually a bottle of water is enough...:) hopefully this will help..
[/url]
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Wow, thanks everyone for the insight.

The trip is for four of us, so even a $100 savings per ticket adds up to $400, which basically equals another night on STJ.

I will read through their fine print about carry on bag charges and other charges to make sure it's really a savings.
Tickerless :(