Top ten restaurants you would suggest?

Travel discussion for St. John
PA Girl

Re: Top ten restaurants you would suggest?

Post by PA Girl »

OP - where on the island are you staying? Does a long(-ish) drive for dinner bother you? I ask because that is something we factor in when making our evening plans.

We always have more dining desires than evening meals so what I do is print off a blank calendar (yes, I am a total geek and planner) from Outlook and start looking at websites.

We will have 10 nights in February and I am already fretting about how to hit our old favorites with newer additions we haven't visited yet.

Some restaurants have "special" nights that you may want to know about. Lobster night a Morgan's, all you can eat shrimp at Lime Inn, seafood buffet at Caneel are a few that come to mind. Also, some have live entertainment that may make a particular place more or less appealling.

I have also been known to print off menus and distribute to family members. While I really enjoy Rhumblines, for example, the menu is sort of specific and it might not appeal to a meat-and-potato type of eater.
eala

Post by eala »

I can't believe no one's mentioned Vie's conch fritters yet or The Tourist Trap!!!! I'll second Aqua Bistro and Shipwreck (dreaming of their soup right now). Can't speak for Maho's but Cinnamon Bay's Tree Lizard had one amazing breakfast. Gosh I'm really hungary... when's the next flight? :(
Don't sweat the small stuff!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

eala wrote:I can't believe no one's mentioned Vie's conch fritters yet or The Tourist Trap!!!! I'll second Aqua Bistro and Shipwreck (dreaming of their soup right now). Can't speak for Maho's but Cinnamon Bay's Tree Lizard had one amazing breakfast. Gosh I'm really hungary... when's the next flight? :(

Vies and Tourist Trap aren't open for dinner, I thought the OP was just looking for dinner suggestions
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

We hit Maho at least once or twice everytime we are there. I only serves 2 meal options, with a salad bar and ice tea. Menu changes each day. Desserts available for purchase. It has a beautiful outdoor pavillion that over looks the water. Beautiful to go there for dinner and be there for sunset. It's just beautiful. Then you can check out their glass blowers and gift shops. A peaceful evening. Concordia cafe also offers good dinners, often with live music. But it lacks the magical view and ambience that is Maho.
eala

Post by eala »

Opps, sorry, got so excited the Pavlov reaction happened and I guess I lost focus on the whole 'dinner only' comment... I checked The Tourist Trap is open to 6pm some night's and Vie's site says she's sometimes there until 5pm, so maybe an early dinner? (340-693-5033 or 340-998-6139) Still, so worth it! ~My boyfriend's trying to replicate Vie's sauce :)
Don't sweat the small stuff!
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Do Skinny Legs for lunch and save dinner for one of the many great restaurants. Zozos is hands down our favorite. Reserve a place at the bar for a really special dining experience. LaTapa is great, Asolare, the Equator at Caneel Bay, Waterfront Bistro. So many great options!
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

I really like Cafe Roma also. They have great dinners and great pizza.
Jenn, News of St. John
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

Waterfront Bistro
Sweet Plantains
La Plancha Del Mar
Rhumblines
La Tapa
The Terrace (Can't wait to try it out! Location alone is beautiful).

FYI - for breakfast and lunch:

Always, always, always Deli Grotto! pack a cooler for the beach.
The Tourist Trap
Aqua Bistro
Ocean Grill

We also might hit up Ted's Supper Club after seeing the On St. John review.

Zozo's and Asolare have never been great for us.
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
~ Karen von Blixen
jwwj

Post by jwwj »

in no particular order

La Tapa
Rumblines
High Tide
Zozo's
Lime Inn
Shipwreck
Sweet Plantains
High Tide
Cafe Livin (haven't eaten dinner here only breakfast and lunch but it's really good)
Candi's Bbq
You don't stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

Shipwreck (eat at the bar)
Skinny Legs (eat at the bar)
Zozo's (very hot at the bar)
Cafe Livin (breakfast burritos)
Spyglass (cheap, happy hour tacos with rum punch YUM)
Banana Deck (shish kabob things called skewers)
Aqua Bistro (Grouper sandwich - but outdoor chairs are uncomfortable)

(Lunch - In a cooler, always on the beach, usually a sandwich from the deli in Mongoose and a couple of beers!)

But we've got a lot of places we still want to try!
SmilinJack

Post by SmilinJack »

Glad to see someone finally mention Cafe Roma. I'll also put in for a lot of the others already mentioned:
Rhumblines
Shipwreck
Aqua Bistro
Island Blues (lunch)
Donkey Diner/J.J.s Texas Coast (breakfast)
Check out the little Gecko Gazebo in Mongoose Junction for really, really good drinks and great conversation.
The place in Wharfside Village that used to be Pusser's & then the Balcony, and whose name I can't remember right now (hey, I'm doing this on my break at work), but which has some of the best conch Chowder I've ever had...if you're into that sort of thing.
Uncle Joe's
Lime Inn (if you go early enough & it's not packed to the gills)
Not all dinner spots, but I think that's ten...

Man, are you in for a good time. Have lots and lots of fun!!!
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

I forgot about Candy's!! It is perfect after a long beach & snorkel day. Wonderful to get it to go and kick back on the deck at the villa :):)

A definate for this trip, we are staying very close by.
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Dome526 wrote: I recall reading somewhere that the Maho restaurant at the campground is pretty good. Would you suggest Maho, and for which meals?
Tom
Maho Campground serves breakfast and dinner only. You go there because of the great view, eco-funky vibe, and excellent value. The food makes me think of Santa Cruz - lots of whole grains, salad and fish/chicken rather than pulled pork or burgers. Service is cafeteria-style, serve yourself drinks. The menu is limited, but different every day. We stayed at Maho Bay Camps for a week back in 2002, ate breakfast and dinner in the pavilion every day, and never got tired of it. This past trip we stopped there for dinner after an afternoon of snorkeling at Francis Bay. Dinner that night was gordita tacos (choice of chicken or shrimp), a full salad bar, and homemade iced tea: $17 per person. Nothing really special, but fresh and tasty, and served with a lingering view of the sunset from the big pavilion on the hill.

Maho Camps is closing forever in mid-May, so if you think you might ever want to eat there, you'd better do it now. Mix and match with snorkeling at Francis Bay/Maho Bay/Leinster Bay and a visit to the Annaberg ruins for a great day trip.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Does anyone know what TIMES the meals are, at Maho? I'd like to try that, this trip!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Can I also ask about Concordia? Do they have breakfast? With a view? Would that be a place where we could eat breakfast and watch the sun rise?