Trip Report: Three Generations on the Rock

Travel discussion for St. John
News of St. John

Trip Report: Three Generations on the Rock

Post by News of St. John »

After almost a nine-month countdown, it was finally time to return to the rock. I visited once in the late nineties and again last January/February with my husband (his first time) to celebrate our anniversary. It didn't take long for us to "get it" and quickly our obsession began. We had such a wonderful time last year that we decided to book a return trip but we wanted to do so in grand fashion. We wanted to celebrate our love for this wonderful island with the people we love most in life; so we booked tickets for our two sons, ages 13 and 15, and my parents, ages undisclosed. :) (My father is Beachgirlsdad. He and my mother had never been, nor had our sons.)

We flew out of Hartford on Christmas morning and were in St. John by 4 p.m. after picking up a car from Amalie. Magdalena and her husband are true gems and I am so very thankful that they agreed to meet us on Christmas Day. It was pretty cloudy when we arrived in St. John but I could care less. It was like I was home again.

It was pretty much just us on the car barge coming over:

We stopped quickly at Starfish (thank you for being open until 5 p.m. on Christmas), and picked up a few essentials like Carib (about $27 for 24), Funyons (about $5 a bag) and some other things I cannot remember. People seems to ask about prices a lot here and the only thing that seemed outrageous to me was bacon. It was $9.99 for a brand name. Other than that, things were marked up about $1-$2 more than they are here in Connecticut. Overall, I didn't think it was that bad. Starfish was running a promotion where they gave you a $25 gift card for every $100 spent. And you could use it across the way at the liquor store - score!

So then we headed to Coconuts Villa on Gifft Hill. You really should check this place out. It was incredible and not outrageously expensive like some villas. We immediately hopped in the hot tub and enjoyed what little sunset we could find behind the clouds. Ps: Here is the villa's website - http://www.coconutsvilla.com

Not a bad way to spend Christmas Day:

We headed down to the Beach Bar for Christmas dinner (not your typical Christmas dinner but it worked for me!) and then wandered around town a bit. We didn't stay out too long before heading back to Coconuts for another dip in the hot tub.

The next morning we headed straight to the Donkey Diner, which is, by far, my favorite breakfast spot on the island. They definitely are on island time but it's worth the wait. I read that there are new owners, but everything tasted as good as I remembered. After that, we made a quick stop at Crabby's in Coral Bay to pick up a few noodles ($8 a piece - kinda expensive) and then headed to my favorite place - Maho Bay.

Me in Coral Bay:

Mom and Beachgirlsdad in Coral Bay:

Ahhh, Maho...

Our 13-year-old got into the limin' swing of things pretty quickly:

Then it was time to snorkel and look who we ran into (there were about seven of them in total):

And here is a little video I took:

We went back to the house for a little dip in the pool before dinner.

That night we returned to another one of our favorite spots - Cafe Roma. If you get the chance to dine there, do yourself a favor and sit at the bar. Luke is one of the best bartenders on the island. He's charming, funny and just enjoyable to be around. And the food is great on top of that. Afterwards, we hit up Bones. For those of you who have yet to visit this little gem, it's a place where you buy a virgin drink (they have about seven flavors including my personal favorite, the Bushwacker) and then they hand you a bottle of rum. Yes, you read that right. They hand you a bottle of rum. Yes, please!

Bones is located right next to the ferry dock, right underneath the Spice Cam.

The next day was the day that we had been looking forward to for quite some time - the day we sought to retain our "Fun Champs" title with Capt. John Brandi of Palm Tree Charters. My mother told me while we were down there that she thought I had an unhealthy obsession with Capt. John. I simply replied that I was in the process of adopting him as my new grandfather. :)

In the words of Capt. John, aka CTBeachGirl's new grandfather, "You can't drink all day if you don't start now." I happily obliged.

Ok, from here on the trip becomes a bit of a blur so I am going to throw up some highlights.

Me and my newly adopted grandfather:

All of us (minus the hubs) looking silly at the Indians:

Mom living the dream at Pirate's:

Mmmm, Bushwacker:

The Willy T - Tadaa!

Me and our older one (who was so close to jumping with us but backed out alongside his little brother):

And as 99% of all Capt. John adventures end, we all got a little soggy:

And a few more highlights, comments, etc.:

Our little one can and will sleep anywhere. Here he is snoozing at Salt Pond:

I love these guys more and more each time I see them:

The hike to Ram's Head blows me away every time:

Honeymoon is my new favorite beach:

It was snowing in CT so we decided to join in the snowman-making fun:

Our Christmas tree??!!

Zozo's is absolutely amazing and worth the one-night splurge. We went to celebrate our older one who received high honors:

Visited Trunk and look who we ran into - Charlie the barracuda!

And this cute little guy:

Hansen, another hidden little gem:

It sure does...

Day Two with Captain John!

Hanging at Sandy Spit:

Bushwacker pitstop at Soper's Hole:

Just another day in Pirate's paradise:

Off to Jost and look who we found!!!

Yes we were!

We wanted to stay for Foxy's infamous New Year's Eve party but we didn't want to scar the kids for life. So we headed back to the Soggy Dollar. And oh what a party it was!!!

The Soggy and One Love were so hoppin' that even Santa stopped by!

My parents were pooped the next day so they stayed home with the kids. Yay for us!

A little Maho:

Crazy waves that day (January 1 and again on January 2):

Just beautiful:

The waves at Gibney were insane!

And then we headed back to Coconuts for a spectacular sunset:

Honestly, this trip was amazing. We had so much fun, the weather was gorgeous and we never had a bad meal. I am so happy to have been able to take my children and my parents to the island so they could all see what paradise is like. I know this trip report was long-winded but I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed living it. Now I'm off to plan my next trip (and convince my husband that we need to go sooner than later!).

-Jenn :)
Jenn, News of St. John
KTinTX

Re: Trip Report: Three Generations on the Rock

Post by KTinTX »

Awesome trip report Jenn. The first trip my wife and I took to St. John back in '09 for our anniversary and we were talking about bringing our teens back ASAP. They had a blast. We've talked about getting my dad to come, too, but he's not a beach person and doesn't swim, so not sure we'll get him to the rock! Your trip with your parents and kids looks so fun. We'll be back in June without the kids for our 19th anniversary, so if you guys are back hit me up for a Capt. John trip. We plan to do that this year for the first time. We've sailed to Jost several times, but want to hit the Indians, Willie T, and Sandy Spit in addition to Jost.

Great trip and great pics. Thanks!
KT
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Wow....just, Wow! Thanks for posting the TR and especially the pix! I was right there with you. It brought a lot of memories back, and now a lot of anticipation for our next trip this year!

Oh yeah....ain't John the best?

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

RickG

Post by RickG »

Great TR! Getting me in the mood for packing this week.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Thanks for sharing! Though I'm quite sure Captain John isn't old enough to be your grandfather :lol:
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Very true Teresa, but I didn't want my father to think I was trying to oust him! So grandfather it was! Lol
Jenn, News of St. John
luvinsun

Post by luvinsun »

Awesome trip report Jenn! You certainly have caught the bug that we all love!!! We are going out with Capt. John in a few weeks and i can't wait!!!
Tami
Image[/url]
Pia

Post by Pia »

Great trip report - see you again soon I know :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

great report way to start a Monday work day
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I so needed this today! Thank you!
xxjpxx9

Post by xxjpxx9 »

AMAZING!

I can't not wait to be back in paradise.

That second pic of the donkeys you posted is awesome! I also loved the baracuda pic, hopefully we'll see one this time around! :)

I'm going with the wife and 4 friends. Anything you think we MUST do? (Capt. John is already reserved!)
sabalpom

Post by sabalpom »

Great trip report & awesome pics!! Thanks for sharing....sounds like you had a fabulous time! 5 more months until my return to the Rock!! :D
silverheels

Post by silverheels »

Living vicariously through your report. Sounds like a wonderful time for you to leave the winter chills in CT.
So glad that your parents enjoyed it as much as you do.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Just what I needed on this rainy day! Great trip report, beautiful pics.
Tickerless :(
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

Awesome trip report! The water looks fabulous.

I leave in 9 weeks.... is it too soon to start packing?!! hehehe