First visit planned for April 21-28!

Travel discussion for St. John
ncsupharmacist

First visit planned for April 21-28!

Post by ncsupharmacist »

Hi all! My fiancé and I will be down in late April for our HONEYMOON and we cannot wait! We are open to any advice on how to make our honeymoon extra special in St. John. So far we have a villa booked in Fish Bay, a Jeep, and copies of the recommended exploring books. We plan to spend most of our vacation visiting the North Shore beaches and at our villa.

We are trying to decide on a day trip to the Baths/BVI.... particularly whether to go through a private charter or larger boat. Thoughts?

I was also wondering where is the "most romantic" spot to have a sunset/evening dinner and when we should get reservations (i.e. before we arrive? or upon arrival?).

Finally - our Jeep is due by 10am the day we leave, however our flight out of STT isn't until ~5pm. Any recommendations for activities in Cruz Bay or STT the morning of a flight out? My biggest concern is what to do with the luggage?

Thanks everyone! Look forward to hearing your advice :)
loria

Re: First visit planned for April 21-28!

Post by loria »

by the rail/window at Zozo's is where you want to be......asolare is also nice, but i think Zozo's is better.......
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

Congratulations ncsupharmacist! We just got back from our first trip to St. John so I can't offer a lot of information that you request, except that my husband and I (in our 50's) had such fun swimming and snorkeling together, watching the sunrise with a hot cup of coffee, and just chilling. So you've chosen a perfect place to start your marriage...have a "wonderful" time! :wink:
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Hmm...your Jeep is due at 10 am? We always rent on STT, and our Jeep is due at the same time the rental started (ie, if we pick it up at 3 pm, it's due at 3 pm).

My husband and I first went to STJ for our honeymoon and 10 trips later we're more than hooked :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Someplace at Caneel, whether it be the Equator, the Monday night Buffet or just a burger at the bar at night is very romantic. You can sit on the bench on the dock, or up on the terrace overlooking the breezeway to do the sunset. Zo Zo's at the bar, reservation for 2 spots at the far right facing the ocean, is also romantic. Stormy Petrel, Pirates Penny or even the public ferry is a great way to get to the Baths. Stormy and Pirates have the trip down to a science, with a lunch stop at an island restaurant and a quick snorkel or swim on the way back. I personally don't feel that a private charter in a smaller boat is worth it to the Baths as it takes so long to get there and you have little time for anything else. The trip to the Baths is an active, adventurous day, not a booze cruise. Save that for a trip to the Soggy Dollar Bar maybe.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Welcome to the Forum, STJ and marriage! You have selected an excellent place for your honeymoon. You need to remember to bring half as much clothing and twice as much money. If you do that, your luggage will be much lighter and smaller. The day you depart you have two basic choices, The first one is that you can pay Connections to hold your luggage and wander around Cruz Bay or even spend part of the day at Trunk Bay. At Trunk you can take a taxi to get there, swim for several hours and shower before changing clothes. The second choice is to take an early ferry to STT. When you get downtown you can ask the taxi driver to hold your bags and come back to pick you up at a certain time and place to take you to the airport. The visitors center across from the CA ferry dock will also hold your bags. There are many places to eat and shop downtown.

Be sure to allow yourselves lots of time to check bags and get through security at the airport. It always seems to take longer than it should. They are on "Island Time" at the airport too. :wink:

Congratulations

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Great advice. If you are concerned about leaving your bags with an unknown driver, you might want to hire a private cab for not much more $ to take you to the ferry from the airport and then from the ferry to the airport on the way back. If you search the forum, you will find several recommended drivers. Then you will have met your driver in advance on your incoming trip, and will have a phone number, and you might feel better about leaving your bags with them. You might also opt for a taxi tour of the island before getting to the airport. St Thomas is a beautiful island, it is just much different i.e. hustle and bustle commercially, than St John.
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

We've done the JVD/Soggy Dollar excursion through Cruz Bay Watersports. They set sail out of the Westin. It's a huge catamaran that takes you out snorkeling by Lovango Cay, lunch at Foxy's, and sails back around JVD to Soggy Dollar. JVD is definitely more of a party spot than the Baths. We had a blast. If you do this, get the Grouper at Foxy's...pretty ridiculous.
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Another vote for Zozo's at Gallows Point for a special, romantic dinner. You should definitely make reservations - they take reservations up to one month in advance. Either try upstairs at the bar at the 2 seats to the farthest right (when facing the ocean), or a table on the rail downstairs in the restaurant. We prefer the bar, but we realize you will inevitably start conversations with the other people dining at the bar, so if you want more privacy, then a table for 2 may be better.
Image[/url]
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

I would skip the trip to the Baths on your first trip, too long a trip. Enjoy a relaxing stay on STJ. More than enough to do on STJ without running out of things to do. Like going to Maho Bay everyday. I NEVER tire of that.

Plan a surprise in villa gourmet dinner for your new bride. There are private chefs that come to your villa to prepare and cook everything right there. Ted's Supper Club is one or Mat of Mathayom. Either one is top notch. Price can be similar to other fine dining on island.

A sunset sail off Cruz Bay with Capt Phil would be nice, also. Check with 'Pia' on this forum for additional ideas and bookings.

I am assuming you are renting your Jeep on STJ? If so, you may know STT is more commercial, and by the waterfront in Charlotte Amalie there are many jewelry/gift shops. That's an option before flying out. I like the post about going to Trunk for a few hours, too.
amy5233

Post by amy5233 »

We have only been once, so I don't have the big picture of the island yet. We stayed on St Thomas (because we didn't know any better!) and took three day trips to St John and I fell in love with Gibney Beach. Sigh. And Solomon...and Honeymoon... And Hawksnest...and ............

On your last day you could do what we did when we had a bit of a fiasco with the dingy rental people (we had a reservation, but no dingy! But that is a whole different post, ha.) take a taxi to Gibney. There are only like three parking spots so taking a taxi assures that you can enjoy Gibney. When you are done on the beach, taxi on to Trunk bay to freshen up at their showers, then back to Cruz Bay and the Ferry. As I write this, I wonder what we must have spent on taxis that day. Maybe somebody who knows more can tell you if this a costly way to go. And, we purposely never knew what time it was while we were there. I have no idea how long this all took.

I agree that the airport requires a great deal more time than you might think. You might not have as much time to kill as you would think. By the time you drop the jeep, maybe you could have a late breakfast, shop Cruz Bay alittle, and catch the noon ferry. Im not sure what you could do about luggage, but we killed about an hour just walking the shops in St Thomas. Those narrow little streets are packed with stores and you really should see "downtown" since you are there. It is unique. We are not really "shoppers" so an hour was enough for us. Give me quiet, sand and sun any day. I'm not sure what everyone else might say... I think you might want to be at the airport by 2. We cut it way too close and did the usual two hour before the flight arrival at checkin.

You are going to have wonderful honeymoon memories! We didn't go until we had been married for 30 years! St John has ruined me for wanting to vacation anywhere else. Best wishes!
My heart belongs on St John!
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

I second Connections we have used them many times..and going to Trunk is definetly do able by taxi and then shower before you leave. Year before last we were able to keep our rental for a few extra hours with no charge...we were very grateful for that..as we try to stay as long as possible..
I would also second skipping the Baths the first time..We've been and I would like to go back...someday..we just never find the time..we are usually always too busy enjoying STJ...
[/url]