Fearing mosquitos-has it rained this week? Are there more?

Travel discussion for St. John
PatrickMcc

Fearing mosquitos-has it rained this week? Are there more?

Post by PatrickMcc »

We are arriving next Friday- the 15th and staying through the 26th. I have read on this board that if there are heavy rains one to two weeks before your arrival, the mosquitos will be out. Can anyone tell me if it has rained heavily this past week? We may have to pack more bug repellent.
While we are on the subject, I am wondering if there has been increased mosquito activity over the last thirty years. My wife and I remember sitting outside our cottage at Cinammon Bay at night in February in the 1980's and being surprised that there were never any mosquitos. In the 1990's we switched to April and were staying at condos in town but still no mosquitos on our balcony at night. We have also rented a few villas at Maria Bluff and Hart Bay and again,no bugs. Are we just lucky or is this more anecdotal evidence of climate warming?
Please answer someone so I can stay on the board- otherwise I have to look out the window and watch the blizzard getting worse.
Diana2

Re: Fearing mosquitos-has it rained this week? Are there mor

Post by Diana2 »

Mosquitos are hard to predict. We've more often than not had no mosquitos during our many visits to STJ and we've been going for about 20 years. But we have had a few visits in May where there has been an outbreak. Luckily we arrived at the tail end of the outbreak so we were affected for only a couple of days. It's a good idea to be prepared with the bug spay and itch stuff. I have to wait until June and watch the snow piling up. Have a great time.
Mrs. B

Post by Mrs. B »

We will be leaving for STJ on Friday too - can't wait! :D
We were there last year at this time and we did not have a problem with mosquitoes. Let's hope that it will be the same next week. Enjoy your vacation! :D
poidog

Post by poidog »

I was on island in December and last weekend, and both times the mosquitos were bad.
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

I was there from 1/21 until 2/7. The mosquitoes were worse the last week but not unbearable. I am one of those people who get bit by everything and I didn't find it that bad. I live in NH where mosquitoes are horrible for about 3 months of the year so it could be my perspective too, but they really weren't too bad.