kiteboarding, villas/condos, snorkeling...first timer

Travel discussion for St. Croix
CBama

kiteboarding, villas/condos, snorkeling...first timer

Post by CBama »

in trying to plan son's summer graduation trip I have researching endlessly to pick best destination...he now wants to learn to kiteboard...and I have discovered that St Croix has several places that have lessons and schools.

If he picks STX they will be flying Delta buddy passes from ATL to SJU (5 flights a day) and then book charter plane to STX.

Does anyone have experience with any of the kiteboarding businesses?

What locations are best to stay in to be near these businesses?

I had previously looked at Gentle Winds condos as a good place to stay....looking for more budget accommodations to help leave more money to pay for lessons...

We visited St John last summer. Is there comparable snorkeling from shore on ST Croix? what areas?? I know Buck Island is a good place to snorkel also. Are there places to rent snorkel equipment?

thanks for any help!
Fisheye

Re: kiteboarding, villas/condos, snorkeling...first timer

Post by Fisheye »

Hi
I have been to stx on 2 spring break trips with my daughter. We stayed here
http://www.vrbo.com/15847
We got a good rate for just 2 of us and had a fabulous time. It's right above Cane Bay ( a dive shop was there where I bet u could rent gear). It was very nice snorkeling and shore diving, too. however, I think st John far surpasses stx for snorkeling opportunities.
Fisheye

Post by Fisheye »

Ps
Has he considered Bonaire for kiteboarding? A very good place for that.
I love it for easy shore diving/snorkeling. However, very diff island from USVI.
CBama

Post by CBama »

We are trying to find a location that we can use buddy passes! only one flight a day to Aruba..then pay for flight to Bonaire...

there are 5 flight to San Juan and cheap flight from there to STX...much better chance of making it on first day.

thanks for your reply..
fish gal

Post by fish gal »

Hello,
We just returned from St Croix and stayed at VRBO 342170 (La Viridian), which is located on the East End of the island.Awesome home! It is very close to the area where the lessons are given in Coakley Bay. Everyday, you can watch the kite surfers from the patios.
By far, the best place/person to take lessons from is Bill Kraft. He is the owner of Kite St. Croix and has a website: kitestcroix.com. They have a variety of packages and rates are very reasonable when compared to other islands.

Our friend has been taking lessons with this company and raves about the instruction and safety of the company.
He is a fantastic kite surfer already. They use a spotter boat and helmets with microphones so that the student can actually hear the instructions and make on the spot corrections.
There is a steady 15-25 mph wind so you can always surf at Coakley Bay. You definitely need to stay on the East End to avoid the long drive from the North Shore. Check out his website. Hope this helps you plan your son's graduation trip.
CBama

Post by CBama »

fish gal...thanks for the reply...that's a little nicer villa than we are looking for this trip...it was beautiful..but we have a lower budget this trip....

I am in contact with Bill at Kite St Croix...I just need to finalize my dates for travel. I am glad to hear that your friend recommends them.

we have decided on St Croix...so that that does help.....

I have been looking at Pink House and Coakley condos.
the St Croix forum on this board isn't very active. I have been reading posts on TA forum for info.

so thankful for any information and advice...

if it weren't for trying the kiteboarding we would be headed back to St John...hope we are not disappointed .....
Margy Z

Post by Margy Z »

Another vote for Bill at Kite St. Croix. He is the best. Have stayed at LaViridian twice and enjoyed watching the kiters on Coakley both times from the villa. Re: villas: The Pink House does not have much of a view and Coakley condos do not have a beach. Our favorite villa on island is Amonoka - excellent views. Our second favorite is Spyglass. For a beachfront villa: Lymin' Beach House or Sugar Bird Rest. We always rent from the local management company Vacation St. Croix and have never been disappointed: http://www.vacationstcroix.com

For condos with a beach, our pick would be Gentle Winds on the north shore. we try to get over there at least once each trip to enjoy the snack shack and lime on the beach. Stay away from anything in "condo row" - jmo.

As far as being disappointed in the island: we were very STJ-centric people until we made our first trip to STX and were hooked. Very different island; much more of a caribbean feel, the best restaurants in the VI, and so very much to do and see.

Post or PM - happy to help or see you over on TA.

Happy planning!
CBama

Post by CBama »

thanks Margzy. I have enjoyed reading all your posts on the TA forum. a few years ago I considered St Croix for a trip and Gentle Winds is where I decided I wanted to stay, but Bill recommended staying on East end to be near KIteboard lessons. I was trying to keep budget lower for Villa/condo. I will look at the villas mentioned

thanks for your reply.