RX mask

Travel discussion for St. John
GG53

RX mask

Post by GG53 »

I was looking for a Rx mask for my next trip, have tried contacts but just can't wear them. Went to a local dive shop and the masks they had were very expensive. Has anyone bought them on-line with good results? Thanks for your help
Beachnut513

Re: RX mask

Post by Beachnut513 »

Last year I was able to rent one from the dive shop where we got our snorkel gear..
eala

Post by eala »

I was recommended to a company called Sport Eyes on the internet. They seem to have decent prices and a good selection. I'm planning to place my order with them in the near future.
Don't sweat the small stuff!
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

Yes, we ordered my husband's at snorkelmart.com. Highly recommend them!
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Scuba.com has very good prices. I've been happy with this mask; prescription lenses for myopia add only $25 per lens, and the shipping is free.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-32/0299 ... -Mask.html

All the best,

Kevin
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

You've got lots of options in this thread. I ordered a prescription mask for this last trip, because it was high season and no one would promise me they'd have the mask I need. I'm very happy with it! It's so much easier than trying to stick foreign objects into my eyes - I just couldn't do that.
But I find that everytime I get up to enter the water, I get to the water and THEN remember I have my glasses on. So I have to walk back to stow my glasses. And then when you get out of the water, you have to leave your mask on to find your spot, but you look really silly walking around with your mask on. :lol:
Still, I love the mask. Wish I'd gotten it sooner.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Oh, and if you have a flexible medical spending account, you should be able to buy your mask using those funds.
amy5233

Post by amy5233 »

We purchased my husbands RX mask online at leisure pro. Having that mask made such a difference for him! I think you will love owning one of your own.
My heart belongs on St John!
Dome526

Post by Dome526 »

My wife was VERY worried about being able to see while snorkeling, and me too! Well, we went to Crabby's (decided they would get my business after I saw all the wounded warriors at Cinnamon Bay Campground, and found out that Crabby's DONATED at kayaks and supplies) and Crabby's has a mask with 2x and 3x lenses. Those goggles made my wife's snorkeling expience fantastic. You might not need to buy custom goggles. My wife is nearly blind without glasses, and the goggles from Crabby's made her day!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

If you're going in low season, you will probably be able to find one at one of the rental places - we always were able to. But for the trip in January, I called around and asked how likely it would be that they'd have one in, and both places in Cruz Bay said pretty unlikely. So I went ahead and bought one to make sure I could snorkel.
SandyPants

Post by SandyPants »

But I find that everytime I get up to enter the water, I get to the water and THEN remember I have my glasses on. So I have to walk back to stow my glasses. And then when you get out of the water, you have to leave your mask on to find your spot, but you look really silly walking around with your mask on. :lol:
Minde, here is what I do:
Wear an old pair of prescription sunglasses on a lanyard into the water. When you are situated, swap the sunglasses for the Rx mask and snorkel away....I just wear the sunglasses around my neck with the lanyard tighten a little so they are not floating all over the place. When you are ready to go in you can swap the mask for the glasses.
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

I got a prescription mask at a dive shop before my first trip and it was the best equipment investment I ever made. My prescription is -4 diopters, so I doubt I would be able to find them in rental shops. Personally I would not buy such an important piece of equipment online because it is important to get a mask that fits your face properly.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Sandypants, that is so simple. And so brilliant. I will send a thank you out to you, every time I do that. Thank you!
bigyellowtuna

Post by bigyellowtuna »

Laura T wrote:Yes, we ordered my husband's at snorkelmart.com. Highly recommend them!
If you use snorkelmart, enter discount code dc5 at checkout for 10% off.
mike c

Post by mike c »

I got my prescription mask from snorklecity.com and it was the best investment i have made for snorkling.Totally changed my snorkling experence .They are a great company to deal with and i believe they were about $50 .Mike