VickiH/AnyTing

Travel discussion for St. John
jdw

VickiH/AnyTing

Post by jdw »

Vicki - Not sure if you still check in here? I tried to send you a PM but was not successful. I LOVE your travel blog and would like to email you a couple of questions about one of your trips.

Let me know if you are around!

Thanks.

Jamie
Gromit

Re: VickiH/AnyTing

Post by Gromit »

I'll let Vicki know about your post.

Best,
Gromit
*Another fine scatterbrained production
jdw

Post by jdw »

Thanks Gromit...I appreciate it!

Hope you and your little family are all happy and healthy. I miss reading your posts on the forum!
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

Hey Gromit! I miss you, Flip Flop and Vicki too! I hope you and your families are all doing well. Be Happy!!!!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Have you tried asking your question as a comment on her blog?
janet
Any Ting

Post by Any Ting »

Sorry for being such a stranger! I still check in from time to time to see what you guys are up to, but we have been spending most of our beach time on other islands. We haven't been to STJ in quite some time, so I don't have a lot to contribute. :oops:
54b

Post by 54b »

Any Ting wrote:Sorry for being such a stranger! I still check in from time to time to see what you guys are up to, but we have been spending most of our beach time on other islands. We haven't been to STJ in quite some time, so I don't have a lot to contribute. :oops:
Just curious...we've had a couple of threads of late in which a bunch of converts (self included), who swore they were one and done vacationers before visiting STJ, now find that they keep going back to STJ over and over again. So it would be interesting to here why you chose to venture elsewhere?

And have there been any other islands that you've visited that you liked as much as STJ and why?
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Any Ting

Post by Any Ting »

It would be interesting to here why you chose to venture elsewhere?

Our reason is probably not typical: we have a small twin engine plane. STJ is just a little too far to fly in it, but the out islands of the Bahamas are not. I can walk out my front door and in just 4.5 hours, I'm stepping out into the sunshine. No airports, no security lines, no layovers, no TSA, I can pack what I want (including my dogs!), I can leave when I want, and the cost for 4 of us is less than $300 per person. The Abacos are no STJ, but they are still pretty incredible.

And have there been any other islands that you've visited that you liked as much as STJ and why?

Yes. The Abacos because the beaches and water are amazing, the snorkeling is stellar, the vibe is laid back, the locals are wonderful, the crime rate on the cays is nearly non-existent, there are very few visitors, and the boating is fantastic. The Exumas because that island chain has the most beautiful water and beaches I think I have seen to date....and they have swimming pigs... which is cool. Anguilla because the beaches are gorgeous, the locals friendly, and the food amazing. Jost Van Dyke because it is quite simply... perfect.
Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

I love your travel blog. I used it to help plan our trip to Kauai. So, a big thank you for that!!! I'm going to find those swimming pigs soon... :)
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Vicki....if I may chime in.....are the Bahamas warm enough in say Jan or Feb? They are on my list but I'm afraid will be too cool. I can only travel at that time of year due to my job:)

Thank you 8)
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

Would love to follow your blog! Can someone post a link?
Thanks!
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Ron in South Texas

Post by Ron in South Texas »

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
Any Ting

Post by Any Ting »

lisa mcg wrote:Vicki....if I may chime in.....are the Bahamas warm enough in say Jan or Feb?
Lisa- The Bahamas are not as warm as most of the Caribbean in the winter. It's still warmer than most of the U.S. So, the answer to your question is: maybe. We have been in January and were able to get in the water. We've been in March and it was too cool. It's just luck of the draw. Unless there is an unusual cold spell, you can pretty much count on it to be warm enough to put on a swimsuit and to wear shorts during the day at that time of year. However, nights are going to be cool and it's not likely that you'll want to get in the water.
54b

Post by 54b »

Any Ting wrote:Our reason is probably not typical: we have a small twin engine plane. STJ is just a little too far to fly in it, but the out islands of the Bahamas are not. I can walk out my front door and in just 4.5 hours, I'm stepping out into the sunshine. No airports, no security lines, no layovers, no TSA, I can pack what I want (including my dogs!), I can leave when I want, and the cost for 4 of us is less than $300 per person. The Abacos are no STJ, but they are still pretty incredible.
Good stuff, thanks for the response...can't argue with the twin engine private travel. Getting to 2nd Base with the TSA agent just isn't as fun as it used to be. :)

I'll have to check out some of those outer Bahamian islands. I know American Eagle can get you close and they seem relatively unspoiled, especially compared to that wonderlith known as Atlantis - which looks neat in the commercials, but I've no doubt I'd be Vegas'd after about 36 hours there.

Give me the park...no garcon required, I brought my own libations.

Thanks for the tips on the other islands...glad to be introduced to your travel blog as well.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow