St John Villas posted MY photo on Facebook

Travel discussion for St. John
2muchsnow

St John Villas posted MY photo on Facebook

Post by 2muchsnow »

I guess I can consider it an honor, but not sure how or where they got it. Checking my FB feed this morning was surprised to see a familiar photo.
At first I was hey that's a great photo I have one just like that. Then upon closer inspection, I realised it's the same one. One I took on Solomon Beach, exact Same clouds, same angle, I'd say coincidence, but it's even missing the channel buoys which I took out.

So any thoughts on what I should do? I certainly didn't give them the photo, and they didn't credit me or even ask me if they could.
I've shared it with the forum folks via my flicker account previously, which I ironically closed last week.
lprof

Re: St John Villas posted MY photo on Facebook

Post by lprof »

Seeing our own photos (yeah, even mine) show up unexpectedly, without permission, around the web can happen any time we post them publicly without a watermark or copyright of some sort (sometimes even then). It has happened to several VIOL members in the past. I am not saying that it is right, but it happens.

Perhaps you should write a comment on the FB page. I know of one person who protested a FB page using her photo without permission or credit, and she was offered a free lunch!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Yes, posted a comment on the link and a direct post on their page. Still haven't heard anything.
They are probably like … oooops.

I'm holdling out for a villa stay... :wink:
ccinhbg

Post by ccinhbg »

If you get a villa stay out of it, I'd say "use it anytime you like! One week - one use; two weeks - two uses." Once you get up to 52 uses a year you're set!!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Welcome to the internet! If you posted it here or FB or Shutterfly, etc. without a copyright, they have free access to it.
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Indeed, guess you have start watermarking the hell out of things. The Wild west of the internet.
I've only shared images on Flickr and all were tagged as copyrighted. All rights reserved.
No creative commons licensing.

I just happened to close my flickr account early last week, so not sure when or where they grabbed it. It's certainly low res.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

True -- they do have access, in the sense that they're able to view and download the image. But they aren't allowed to use it without permission -- the creator of an artwork (in this case a photograph) automatically retains copyright for that artwork without having to do anything special. (Problem is, unless you register the work, it's difficult to officially do anything about it.) But copyright is implicit. Posting it to Flickr (or Facebook, or the forum) doesn't change that.

It would be one thing if St John Villas were using it on a not-for-profit blog, but they're a commercial operation using your photo for publicity (and therefore ultimately to make money).

I guess I'm especially touchy about this because photography is my profession -- I know they're not running your photo in a national print ad, but I do think they should at least take the time to ask for permission and provide a photo credit.
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

I have used photos from the internet on occasion, always crediting where I have gotten photo from, problem is, often they are not the party that originally took the photo... :?
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

is the image still up. St John Villa is in violation of your copy rights whether you indicated the photo was copyrighted or not. I would send a letter asking them to immediately remove it. It matters not if they got the pic from a third party or if you posted it on Flikr. Technically they owe you for the infringement. How many views did the picture get?
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

Update. They finally got in touch with me…
Hi Michael, we typically find our photos through fan submissions and web sites such as Pinterest. Although I don't have the exact location of where we found the photo, I can assure you our staff was unaware it had a copyright.
We'd be more than happy to take the photo down, or if you'd like we can attach photo credit.
I opted for a photo credit with a copyright notice. Which they updated quickly.

Moral of the story? watermark or at least embed your name and copyright in the image somewhere.
And keep an eye out for any photos you post/share.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Glad to hear they got back to you.