Growling at Haulover North

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

Growling at Haulover North

Post by mindehankins »

While walking to Haulover North this morning, we heard a dangerous-sounding growling from the right, pretty close to us. It stopped us in our tracks both times, but we couldn't see anything or hear rustling in the brush. Any ideas? A pig or boar was my idea. Are there boars on island?
mindehankins

Re: Growling at Haulover North

Post by mindehankins »

Google search says there are some wild boar on STJ. Google search for "wild boar sound" - second item in search is exactly what we heard!
Really glad we didn't see it!
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

Running into a wild boar on St.John is my worst fear. Really. One time we ran into some mountain goats on a trail and they were so huge at first I thought it was a group of boars. When I showed my Dad the pic he thought it was a Boar too. We stayed at Trinidad Charlies one time and could hear them grunting occasionally. They had done some damage to his driveway too. I am happy you didn't see the boar too, I remember what happened after you saw a shark. :lol:
loria

Post by loria »

oh yikes-- yeah a wild boar would not be something to trifle with-- a wild bore however.....might be interesting (or at least oxymoronic) and a wild boer.....well not good either, i imagine......
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Pia

Post by Pia »

Maybe it was the panther/cougar :shock:

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
cat

Post by cat »

Pia are you serious? That is really scary! I would hate to run into one of them!!!!!
Pia

Post by Pia »

It is a long standing St John myth - many have claimed to have seen him but there are no photographs/evidence and I have never seen him (and I, in no way, believe he exists) but I did talk to a cyclist that rode daily from Annaberg (we walk our dogs at Annaberg) who said he came out of the brush, looked directly at him and then ran and he reported it to the National Park. This cyclist is an older, serious gentleman !!

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Joppa, I saw a big nurse shark at Vie's on Saturday, and my reaction was much better :) It was a nurse shark, though, not an eat-you shark!
Pia, no not a cat sound. This was exactly what the google search sound was. Exactly. I played several clips and when I played that one, Blaine looked up and said "Yep. That's it!" we heard nothing on the way out. The take home memory from the day was ow awesome that snorkel was!
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

mindehankins wrote:Joppa, I saw a big nurse shark at Vie's on Saturday, and my reaction was much better :) It was a nurse shark, though, not an eat-you shark!
Pia, no not a cat sound. This was exactly what the google search sound was. Exactly. I played several clips and when I played that one, Blaine looked up and said "Yep. That's it!" we heard nothing on the way out. The take home memory from the day was ow awesome that snorkel was!
Make a lot of noise and they will start running ..............................................

Straight to the noise :twisted:

Learned that back in my Army days in Germany
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

Hi Minde,
I heard that sound once on the Haulover Trail, but then I realized I was just hungry and my stomach was making noises.... so I went to Vies and got some chicken! :D
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
inuny

Post by inuny »

I saw a boar on the Johnny Horn trail. Well, I was on the trail, luckily he was in the woods.
hugo

Post by hugo »

Can not imagine that there was a boar at Haulover. It is totally not their habitat, and have never seen any sign of them east of Bordeaux. Johnny Horn trail on the north side. maybe, but not Haulover. I would vote for donkey or dog. Deer also make very odd noises...
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

http://www.seestjohn.com/fauna_pigs.html

Have never seen a wild one anywhere on island!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks for the input, Hugo. I can't copy/paste a web address on the iPad, but when we get home, I'll link a YouTube recording on here, that is exactly what we heard, and maybe you can tell us what sounds like that?
hugo

Post by hugo »

Yes, please do post a link, am now curious as to what it was.