Is this a good idea?

Travel discussion for St. John
cjroyer

Re: Is this a good idea?

Post by cjroyer »

We are Verizon users and recently stayed in Coral Bay. Our villa also offered this free long distance and it was nice to have. Being in Coral Bay, our cell phones were spotty at best so this allowed us to check in on aging parents and also our house/dog sitter. While in St Thomas, we got a call from said aging parent on how to use his TV controller. That call cost us about $12.00 :shock:

And I also have a question about Coconuts. We are coming back next April with three couples. Since the bedrooms are not equal, do you think anyone would feel slighted in using the loft bedroom, or guest bedroom?

Thanks!!
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Kevin, I agree that you are looking at an unrepresentative sampling here. Most of us have either been burned or read about it and avoided it.

We have ATT and called them before every trip. I ask them about our plan and if calls to and from STJ are in the plan. They always say that it is. When we got back we got a bill for $45 for two calls that apparently hit the BVI tower. :( They saw the notes promising free calls and credited us back for the calls.

At a dollar a day per villa, it would be a good amentity for your guests. Whether they are new guests or veterans of the island, a good, steady, clean signal would be welcomed.

I guess this puts me in the useful column. :wink:

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

I was told many years ago by a STJ local to call AT&T after your trip and say "overlapping international towers". I have used that phrase after every trip and have never had an argument from AT&T when I call to have roaming charges and international text/data removed.

I have never used the phone in a villa.
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
cat

Post by cat »

We too have AT&T and have never had a problem. I also call before we go and ask about the international charges. I try to keep an eye on my phone when I am on it just in case but have never had any additional charges. I guess I don't see a need either but I am sure that as a newbie it would make me feel better just in case.
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

I've never tried to call home from the island, but do depend on Internet service to send email. I have an AT&T GoPhone account, and I actually don't know if calls to/from USVI would be considered domestic or foreign calls.

I would consider it a plus to have free stateside calling in the villa just so I knew I could call home if I needed to. I probably would only use it once to call my son back home and let him know we'd arrived safely, but it's nice to have.

May I ask how much the service costs per month?
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Dreamshark: The unlimited mainland calling plan costs $30 per villa per month. If it was valuable to even a subset of less savvy travelers, that would probably warrant keeping it.

All the best,

Kevin
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Kevin
I think if you advertise this right, this could be a big deal for yours a deciding factor if its between your villas and another choice! ( especially since Go phones now have the reactivation fee that basically costs the same as getting a new one!) now remember this comes from someone who is frustrated as all get out after trying to talk to Verizon today and terminate my contract since we are moving to Island and they told me how good the coverage is for the $1.99 per minute!!!( the only disadvantage I see is I can't text from your villa phone to my college kids who don't know how to answer that thing that rings in their packet!) hope to meet you soon !! Leslie
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Kevin, we have never used the Villa phone...we have called Villa phones. I have Verizon and parents have ATT and I bring my Magic Jack and plug into my laptop for free long distance back to the states.

That was some kind of tab that night...I didnt ask questions when Kent brought it, just scribbled some name and on our way.