The Official OT cocktail thread

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I think it would be really good with a nice smooth vodka. In fact, it might be even more refreshing than the original recipe. Maybe I would cut back on the agave nectar a bit if using vodka instead of tequila.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

PA Girl wrote:Wow, that screams SUMMER!

I really dislike the taste of tequila. What do you think it would be like with vodka? Or does it need the tequila flavor?
being one of the smart asses of the forum 8)
And why do you not like tequila sounds like a teenage memory to me :twisted:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

shoemak38 wrote:And why do you not like tequila sounds like a teenage memory to me :twisted:
Ah, no, that would be peach schnapps, which was all the rage in the mid to late 80s. Fuzzy navels anyone? DeKyper's really knew how to market that stuff. The memory of that smell still makes me shutter 20+ years later.

I just never liked the taste of tequila. Something about it tastes musty/spoiled to me. I have tried different types over the years and did a tasting in Mexico but no matter the brand, it tastes "off" to me.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

PA Girl wrote:
shoemak38 wrote:And why do you not like tequila sounds like a teenage memory to me :twisted:
Ah, no, that would be peach schnapps, which was all the rage in the mid to late 80s. Fuzzy navels anyone? DeKyper's really knew how to market that stuff. The memory of that smell still makes me shutter 20+ years later.
Jim Beam and root beer was mine
shoemak38

Re: The Official OT cocktail thread

Post by shoemak38 »

needed a drink photo for work so i reposted to top
however all the photo's are gone :evil:
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

What do you need? I think the format changes of the forum wiped out photos.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

mbw1024 wrote:What do you need? I think the format changes of the forum wiped out photos.
the format change did,
This forum is great for getting photo's to attach to e-mails, already send, I was going to buy a drink for my boss only photos are of xmas drinks :roll:
and as you can see have not needed one in a while
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I actually posted a drink pic in the "favorite photo" thread yesterday. Oh well! Too late I guess!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I have not made any cocktails in a long time. It looks like the last one was in October. It was a campari mojito and I did not even like it, it was way too bitter. But here is the picture anyway, for the next time you want to email your boss. Just tell him it is something else...a strawberry-mint margarita maybe? :lol:

shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

liamsaunt wrote:I have not made any cocktails in a long time. It looks like the last one was in October. It was a campari mojito and I did not even like it, it was way too bitter. But here is the picture anyway, for the next time you want to email your boss. Just tell him it is something else...a strawberry-mint margarita maybe? :lol:
[/img][/url]
thanks I've used many of your photo's in the past :D
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Snagit Capture by SHOEMAK38, on Flickr
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Happy Cinco!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367787366.192133.jpg
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

It's funny, when I opened this thread, the post on the top of this page was from me last summer discussing my attempt to come up with a house cocktail for our St. John trip. That's what this post is about too, and obviously I am still working with the same flavor profile haha! This drink has jalepeno, cucumber and cilantro muddled together than stirred with tequila, lime juice, and agave nectar. Chilled in the fridge for an hour then shaken over ice and strained into a glass filled with ice and a cilantro and cucumber garnish, rimmed with lime zest and salt. The recipe is in the current issue of Food and Wine magazine. Everyone really liked it (my Dad had 2 haha), I thought it could have used a little less agave nectar than the recipe called for but otherwise thought it was quite good. Photo:

mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Beautiful!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. I dislike overly sweet fruity cocktails and have been using a lot of herbs and cucumbers lately.
My latest invention:
2 oz. cucumber juice from puréed and strained cucumbers
2 oz. Bombay Sapphire gin
1/2 oz. simple syrup
Juice of 1/2 lime.
Muddle basil leaves in shaker and add rest of ingredients. Shake with ice. Strain and serve over ice.