Who experienced STJ in the earlier times(80s and eariler)

Travel discussion for St. John
pmk

Re: Who experienced STJ in the earlier times(80s and eariler

Post by pmk »

We've been tenting at Cinnamon Bay since '71, back when it was $60/week for a walk-in tent and all the cookware. No Peter Bay monstrosities, no restaurant -- the small store was located where the museum is now. The park built the first incarnation of the "cabins", essentially stucco igloos that were divided into units. They looked nasty and I'm not sure how long it was before they replaced them.

Lots of feral pigs back then. One time, a couple of pigs came into our site just after dark. My brother and I were able to douse them with glow juice from one of those plastic glow sticks (very high tech at the time). You should have heard the screams coming from around the campgroungs as a couple of maurading, glowing pigs made their way through the underbrush. It was awesome!

Not sure what year Mongoose Junction was built, but we ended up crashing their first (private) New Year's Party to celebrate its construction. We ended up pouring champagne for everyone and my brother even sang for the crowd. It was a lot of fun.

The jeep trips to Lamshure were a lot more adventurous back then. There were no sections of pavement going up and down the steep, switchback sections and the gullies and the rocks in the road seemed virtually impassable. It was really a remote place on the planet back then.

pmk
sherban

Re: Who experienced STJ in the earlier times(80s and eariler

Post by sherban »

There have been a few posts on this forum over the past 5 years with links to many cool, old photos...

A few hundred are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/1041468522 ... redirect=1