lesson learned. Really.

Travel discussion for St. John
scoob

Re: lesson learned. Really.

Post by scoob »

Many years ago, we camped at Assateague Island in Maryland.
A wild pony picked up my cars keys with a green key chain off the table and was walking away with it !! He thought it was a snack !! only keys we had..
Being 10 hours away from home-I grabbed the keys of the pony's mouth...I was pissed...
We liked it there,great sun ,camping ,but the mosquitos would carry you away !!!
my 2 cents,
Scoob
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I started retelling your tale to my husband, I got as far as "they put the car keys in a bag with granola bars at the beach" and he instantly said "Uh oh, what did the mongoose run off with the bag?" As you may be able to tell, we've also been robbed by the mongoose (though not car keys). Glad it ended well!
Tickerless :(
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

:lol: :lol:
That is funny. I read your story to my family as a warning. They need to learn as their first trip there is in December!
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Jeez Louise this is the funniest thread ever, I think that little guy did have a smirk on his face! :D
Connie

Post by Connie »

A mongoose can unzip a plastic bag? That is just hysterical.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

With their tiny dexterous paws, demonstrated problem solving ability, and unquestioned motivation, I'm thinking of opening a little factory on St. John, staffed by a horde of mongoose dem, for which payroll would consist of cheese puffs!

All the best,

Kevin

P.S. Fisheye, you should write your tale up proper, and submit it to Tradewinds, On St. John, News of St. John, St. John Source, etc. It's a classic, and prospective visitors need to know!
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

scoob wrote:Many years ago, we camped at Assateague Island in Maryland.
A wild pony picked up my cars keys with a green key chain off the table and was walking away with it !! He thought it was a snack !! only keys we had..
Being 10 hours away from home-I grabbed the keys of the pony's mouth...I was pissed...
We liked it there,great sun ,camping ,but the mosquitos would carry you away !!!
my 2 cents,
Scoob
We have been many times..and you really have to watch out for the ponies.. We spent an afternoon repairing a fly for our tent because one tripped on the guy line while they were grazing around our tents.. Also my sister woke up in the middle of the night to one sticking its head in her door(ripped the screen) because she left a box of cheese-its by it. LOL.

These critters know how to get food from us dumb humans.. this is THEIR turf...lol

We love it there..its our go to ...when I just have to spend some time on the ocean...BUT I agree about the mosquito's... I have heard they are thinking of making it the equivalent to their national bird...LOL
BetsyV