The nerve!

Travel discussion for St. John
seagrape

The nerve!

Post by seagrape »

Hi all. Finally took a day off to hit Trunk Bay yesterday. Beautiful! However, there was some guy who had walked down the beach past us all the way to the end. He was carrying a camera and a coke can. He was taking photos of several girls with him. A little while later we swam down to the end. That guy had the nerve to just crush his can and drop it right there on that pristine beach. We found this unbelievable. We asked the life guard and he said it was $1000 fine for littering. The lifeguard said he had seen that guy with the Coke can earlier. He alerted a park ranger, who confronted this guy. We didn't stick around to see the final outcome, but hopefully something happened!! Naive or not, this was a big, ugly surprise! :(

Seagrape
GotToGetAway

Re: The nerve!

Post by GotToGetAway »

The sad part is this is just one instance of getting caught. Think about all the other times he litters without giving it one second of consideration. Maybe such a fine will change his behavior (we can only hope).
Tickerless :(
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Simply infuriating.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
loria

Post by loria »

littering is a huge pet peeve of mine. but do be careful calling someone out....i almost got myself killed (or seriously hurt) after basically confronting someone who did essentially the same thing (though this was in brooklyn NY and not at trunk bay...)
i am glad you said something and hope that this idiot leaned a lesson.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
sherban

Post by sherban »

It's time for these a$$holes to learn to take care of our environment!

My peeve is people throwing cigarettes out their windows..... :evil:
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Sherban - I have the same peeve about cigs thrown out of car windows. I've seen that way too many times!

What an idiot. How sad that this guy isn't evolved enough to know better than to litter (and in such a gorgeous place), and his friends aren't smart or bold enough to call him on it.

Seagrape - thank you for speaking up to the lifeguard.
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Randy, people continue to amaze. When I think of our first trip 10 years ago, we were so awed to be in such a magical place, and because it was Maho Camps, it made us want to be the guardians of what we hoped would be our nirvana for many years to come. Most of us get it, others feel entitled because they've spent the bucks.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We are the type of people that patrol our own neighborhood and pick up trash so it goes without saying that we are also STJ trash pickers and beach protectors. I would definately speak up about the type,of behavior the OP saw.

On the flip side, when we were in STJ in Feb, we saw someone get a ticket for taking a piece of asbestos covered metal out of the water. The ”picker" said his intentions were only to pick up junk but who knows?
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

greyhoundmom wrote:Randy, people continue to amaze. When I think of our first trip 10 years ago, we were so awed to be in such a magical place, and because it was Maho Camps, it made us want to be the guardians of what we hoped would be our nirvana for many years to come. Most of us get it, others feel entitled because they've spent the bucks.
Tell it sista!!!!! :twisted:
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

First let me say that I'm glad you took time off to enjoy a little swim! I'm sure you're busy with all the work!

Secondly, you must have been in shock to witness such a horrible scene. Thanks from me to you for helping keep our little bit of heaven a little bit cleaner! :)