Peter Island Transportation help

Travel discussion for Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and beyond!
quetsch

Peter Island Transportation help

Post by quetsch »

Need some help with the logistics- we are staying at Peter Island Resort-
(We arrive on a Friday)

1. Is there a ferry from Red Hook to Tortola (Road Town) that leaves earlier than 5:00pm?
2. or is it just easier to catch fast ferry from CA to Tortola? and is this our only option?

We are hoping to be on the early Delta flight out of ATL- arrives @ 2:30pm- I
believe that the next ferry to Tortola leaves around 4:15- 5:00pm- from CA.

Has anyone else done this trip would love to hear thoughts!
Thanks-
AquaGirl

Re: Peter Island Transportation help

Post by AquaGirl »

Hi Q
We stayed at Peter Island in May and had a wonderful time. We arrived in STT on a Sunday around 1:30pm. We took a ferry from CA to Roadtown. We looked at the ferry schedules on this website:
http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_ ... ortola.htm
On Friday afternoon, it looks like you have several options from CA.

A word of advice I got from various people who regularly take the ferry to Tortola is to take whatever ferry is leaving next. There are several ferry companies at the ferry terminal with varying schedules. We were hoping to take Native Son at 2:45, but there was a sign at their desk saying "no boat today". So we took the next Fast Ferry which was supposed to leave 3:30pm, but left about 30 minutes late.

If you are going back to STT on a Tues or a Sat, you can take the PIR transportation. There were a lot of people going back on the Sat we left, so PIR got two nice boats from Tortola to take us back. (I think their bigger ferry was out of commission.) We went back on a 49' Sea Eagle (looked similar to a Sea Ray). It was a fun way to go back.

Have you been to PIR previously? We loved our trip there.

Happy trip planning.
J
quetsch

Post by quetsch »

Hi J- Thank you for the information on transportation. We are trying to get the Delta flight from ATL which lands in CA @ 2:30pm- so we should have plenty of time to catch
a boat to Road Town do we need to make reservations in advance with a ferry company?
We have not been to Peter Island before- this is to celebrate our 2oth anniversary and
we are very excited to go. Our plan is one week there and then take ferry to St. John
and spend three days there.
Thanks again for the information.

Q
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I read a lot of forums and trip reports regarding taking the ferry to Roadtown. ( Part of the fun of the trip for me is to do a lot of reading and research before we go.) The people who regularly take a ferry from STT to Tortola recommended not making a reservation. This leaves you free to take whatever ferry is the next one to leave for Roadtown. The ferries seem to sometimes have varying schedules or get cancelled, or your flight could get in earlier. We just wanted to have flexibility and not be tied to a reservation.

We've been to PI 3 times and its a wonderful experience. They spoiled us with great service, and wonderful food, and it was hard to come back to "real life". Deadman's Beach is just gorgeous. If you plan to snorkel, let me know and I can give you some info on good snorkeling.

I like the combo of PI and STJ. We love both places - very different experiences and both wonderful.