La Planche change over

Travel discussion for St. John
EagleRayLover

La Planche change over

Post by EagleRayLover »

Here's the latest news on La Plancha. Their lease has not been renewed so the owner of SunDog has decided to take over their spot and will keep the name for about a month during transition. They will then close for renovations and return as Virgin Fire ( or that was the name as of Sunday). They plan on keeping Sun Dog for breakfast and lunch and Virgin Fi will be a dinner spot. I know the head chef and he is not only a great chef but an amazing guy!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Nancy_B

Re: La Planche change over

Post by Nancy_B »

Thanks, Leslie!

I'm out of the loop - where is La Plancha going?
NancyB
KTinTX

Post by KTinTX »

Interesting. I know you told us about this latest when we were walking dogs last week, but we spoke to Jason on Saturday and their sous chef on Sunday and neither brought it up. I'm assuming Jonathan will continue to focus on Zero Sushi and Jason will somehow partner with Sundog?
KT
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

When will this happen?
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

Wow, this is really sad news for La Plancha. Have they made this announcement somewhere that I missed? I feel so badly for them assuming this was not their choice, which from the sounds of it does not seem to be.
scotties

Post by scotties »

That is exciting news! We absolutely LOVE Sundog Cafe and usually go there at least a couple times when we go to STJ. You are right...the chef is amazing! We will look forward to visiting the new restaurant in the future. Thanks for the update
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

La Plancha was for sale but no bites. I don't think this announcement has been made but I have the inside scoop because I'm Tight with Chef's GF!
Last edited by EagleRayLover on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

The whole situation is so sad...I'm assuming this is a latent affect of Mike's death? I wonder about his wife and kids...just heart-wrenching.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I am happy for the Sun Dog folks. They are good people and I wish them well.

I have to say, the last time we ate at La Plancha, we were pretty disappointed. The food quality had really gone down and the service was not good at all.