Visiting 0726-0802

Travel discussion for St. Thomas
penni

Visiting 0726-0802

Post by penni »

First time visiting, going solo. I've read that Ch Am after dark is unsafe, esp if you're alone. Any suggestions for a lone traveler who wants to enjoy the sites and play it safe too? I won't be renting a car, just use the safari taxi or whatever is available. I'll also be arriving later in the evening. Are there shuttles from the airport that late? Sorry if I ask stupid q's, only way to find out! I'm crazy excited! :)
jimg20

Re: Visiting 0726-0802

Post by jimg20 »

Welcome! Don't worry about "stupid" questions. If you have a question, there is probably another first time who has the same question. :wink:

CA is a fairly large city and has some crime. Generally, you can get a taxi to go anywhere you'd like and get back to where you are staying. We went to a now closed restaurant downtown and the staff insisted on calling a taxi to the restaurant and URGED us to stay inside until it got there. I have been told that a walk in an area other than the waterfront and main street could be a problem for a visitor. I would suggest you travel with the same care at night as you would in any major US city. I also suggest you not let this prevent you from having a wonderful time.

I suggest that you take the time to take the ferry over to St John for the day and see what it has to offer.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

equineannie

Post by equineannie »

Plenty of safe transport from airport, taxis are fine. Charlotte Amalie is no different than any urban area in the US. I lived on island for a while and I just did what the real locals did: avoid downtown after dark. Be polite and courteous, greet with Good Morning, Good Afternoon & Good Evening, this will get you a smile. I never had an issue with anyone, always got polite assistance when I asked for it. Enjoy, it is lovely as is St John.
penni

Post by penni »

In that case, my southern charm and accent should (hopefully) get me by! lol

I've already figured out there just won't be enough time so I plan on having as much fun as I have time for! St. John is definitely on my my to-do list...and that list keeps getting longer each day. :)