Transportation to and From St. T to St. J

Travel discussion for St. John
mplevine

Transportation to and From St. T to St. J

Post by mplevine »

have a trip planned in February for 10 days in St. John. Trying to decide if its more economical to rent a jeep in St. Thomas and ferry over to St. John. Would buy groceries in St. Thomas. Need recommendations for jeep rental and grocery locations. Also need recommendation on which ferry to take.
MNTroy

Re: Transportation to and From St. T to St. J

Post by MNTroy »

Hi,

Call Discount Car Rental, shop on STT and take a car barge to STJ. The car barges run every half hour until 7pm. Double check time to make sure. I have had good luck with Discount and the barge is a breeze. Have fun!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Renting on STT is less expensive, not only because the Jeeps are less than STJ, but also because putting a bunch of people in one vehicle on the car ferry is less expensive than a bunch of individuals buying people ferry tickets.

You get on which ever car ferry leaves first so you get to STJ the quickest!
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

My thought is that it depends on how many people are traveling together, how many bags, amount of groceries and alcohol will be purchased.
If you are just a couple who are traveling with carry on only and will not be cooking more than a few meals and are not going to consume stupendous amounts of alcohol then it is not a given that renting on STT will save you money.

The cost to rent a jeep on either island is similar.
The car barge cost is significantly higher but you are charged per vehicle not per person and no charge for bags.
The schedule for the car barge not allow you to be as flexible as the Red Hook passenger ferry. The car barge stops at 6pm(?) (please correct me as I have never taken it.) The Red Hook passenger runs until midnight leaving each hour.
The passenger ferry charges per person + bags.
Renting on StJ meahs adding the cost of a taxi (per person & bags) to your arrival and departure.
Groceries on STT are cheaper than on StJ.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
kbxx

Post by kbxx »

We just got back from St John. We rented from Amalie Car Rental in St Thomas. They came to the airport on the day we arrived to give us our Jeep and then met us back at the airport the day we left to return it. It was much easier than what we have done in the past. Plus, they are super nice at Amalie. Highly recommend them.

hartpump

Post by hartpump »

Hello,
We rented our jeep on STT last time and took the car barge over. We flew in Friday night and stayed downtown. Got up early Saturday and went to a warehouse club style grocery ( I dont recall the name but its not too far form the Charlotte Amalie "downtown") on STT before we headed over to St. John. It was the first time we had tried this and I was very happy with the way it turned out. We paid less for our jeep and I felt the groceries were reasonably priced as well. The car ferry was easy (you have to back it in though) and the best part is when you finally get on St John you are on your way to your villa. Immediate gratification :D
To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail
jaybfloyd

Post by jaybfloyd »

I got a 4 door Wrangler from Thrifty on STT for $400 for a week. They honored a gov't discount. So any feds out there, book online with a coupon code. I wouldn't try calling. They probably will deny any gov't discounts. The Jeep only had 10k miles on it as well. Very smooth experience. Remember to buy a one way ticket only on the car barge. Its been said on here before but if you didn't know there are 3 barges and they don't honor each other's round trip ticket so you'd have to get the same boat on the return trip as well.