Will any long distance phone card work?

Travel discussion for St. John
mindehankins

Will any long distance phone card work?

Post by mindehankins »

Sorry to keep blowing the board up with questions! Will any long distance phone card work on STJ? We usually buy a card while on island, and they look like they're specific to the Caribbean. We probably won't have Verizon service in Coral Bay, so I wondered if I can pick up a long distance card at Walmart or something?
Thanks, Forum!
lazylane

Re: Will any long distance phone card work?

Post by lazylane »

Yes, any will work!
RickG

Post by RickG »

You can dial a US toll free number from the USVI. I still get a card when we stay on the south shore and have no mobile service.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Thanks, both of you!
Cecile

Post by Cecile »

I will bring a Prepaidcard from H2O, this sounds like a real coo obtion. :)
Since we will first be in Miami, my daughter is in St Thomas, I sure hope this will work. :)
Regards
Cécile :)
papabou

Post by papabou »

minde,

we have 2 other things in common, we don't receive viol notices and have Verizon cell service. Anthony has assured me notification glitch on his end and he's working on. word of caution about use of cell at your coral bay location. your villa is in direct line of sight with overseas cell tower on tortolla and if ingoing or outgoing calls are routed through the fees are outlandish!

can't comment on calling cards but may need one for mack and my dec trip staying in coral bay. be my 1st trip to stj w/o nationwide att service where I had good service most places and free calls. I've spent a several hrs at the local verizon retailer, on Verizon web site and on hold about service stt/stj. when I plugged in stt zip code (00802) in coverage section of web site I get a map that shows service on almost all of stt and only west end of stj. the maps also coverage in large parts of Europe but it ain't free. no clear answer and no one to talk to at Verizon on whether available coverage is non longd/roaming for my plan which is plain vanilla "share everything talk 700".

minde, do you or anyone else out there have any idea? probably should start a new thread/topic re Verizon service in cruz bay but I've already started 3 threads in last week which is my quota. butt if I don't get an answer, i'll tie up a phone line postion at ver. on hold or start a new thread when one of my current ones drops off opening page.

still
papabou

ps i'm about to do a search on viol site re Verizon service.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We plan on turning our cells off, when we arrive, so we don't incur huge charges. We'll have contact through plain old land-lines. I've still got to pick up that calling card!
Papabou, we've always had ok Verizon service in Cruz Bay. We might have to walk 10 feet to a balcony, but we could always find service somewhere at the condos. I'm guessing you'll be ok in Cruz Bay. The charges have been $1.99/minute for phone calls, and free texts. Photo attachments to texts were 50 cents.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

For future travelers and people searching the forum, after much searching, I FOUND the darned card. They are not easy to find, in these days of cell phones! I found an AT&T card for regular telephone use, at the very bottom of the cards in the check out aisle at Walmart. 150 minutes for about $10 with no big debit occuring per connection. I looked all over for this - hope this helps someone down the line!
RickG

Post by RickG »

I buy a card at the grocery store when I need one. A $5 card takes care of calls to home.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI