St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda by Ferry

Travel discussion for St. John
Heather

St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda by Ferry

Post by Heather »

My lucky sister-in-law is headed to the Bitter End in a couple of weeks. She lands in STT on a Wednesday at 2:30. It's been very confusing trying to figure out how to get to VG that afternoon by ferry. Does anyone have advice/information? Thank you!
Cecile

Re: St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda by Ferry

Post by Cecile »

Hi there,
this I found in the Internet:

Smith’s Ferry Services Ltd. (betrieben als Tortola Fast Ferry)
USVI-BVI
Water Front und Red Hook/ St. Thomas sowie West End und Road Town/ Tortola und dailey connection to Spanish Town/ Virgin Gorda.
Tel. +1 (284) 494 2355 | Website: www.smithsferry.com - See more at: http://www.bvitourism.de/faehrverbindun ... r2yRC.dpuf

In the British Virgin Islands they offer daily service between Tortola and Virgin Gorda and charter service to all of the outer islands. They also have daily service between Tortola and St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Their vessels are available for charter service for groups, corporate events, and destination travel to most of the Leeward Islands including St. Kitts and St. Maarten. Smith's Ferry has been serving the Virgin Islands for the past 14 years. They presently have a fleet of five passenger vessels ranging in size and capacity.

Their subsidiary company Island Magic is a destination management company and is staffed by personnel qualified in event planning, Virgin Islands destination travel, and group travel.

So, if you are planning a day trip between Tortola and St. Thomas or any of the neighboring islands, or planning to come and stay for a while choose Smith's Ferry. They will be more than happy to assist you. They are looking forward to seeing you there soon!

Company Ticketing Policies:

Reservations: Prepayment required to guarantee reservations.

Check-In: Passengers are required to check in at least thirty (30) minutes prior to departure. Passengers shall comply with all Government travel requirements, and present exit, entry, and other required documents.

Fare: The fare for carriage hereunder is subject to change. Carrier may refuse transportation if the applicable fare has not been paid. Carrier reserves the right to refuse carriage to any person who has acquired a ticket in violation of applicable law or Carrier's tariffs, rules, or regulations.

Tickets: Tickets are good for six months from the date of issue.

Luggage: Carrier is not responsible for luggage and parcels. It is their intention however to show due diligence in loading and unloading baggage. We ask all passengers to be aware not to overpack bags, which often causes strain on handles and stitching when lifted. Passengers are allowed three (3) moderately sized pieces. Excess baggage will be subject to a service charge.

Cancellations:

Refund: Carrier's sole responsibility to issue a refund is only for cancellation due to weather, mechanical errors, or other problems beyond their control.

Penalty: All refunds are subject to a 15% service charge.
cheers
Cécile :)
jmq

Post by jmq »

On a Weds, probably best to ferry from CA to Roadtown, then Roadtown to VG.

See this schedule for ALL times:
http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/info_bviferry.htm

Looks like there might be a 4:15pm to RT from the BVI terminal in STT located near the seaplane terminal right before you get to “downtown” CA - see http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_ ... ortola.htm

From RT, looks like there are two choices:
• a 5:15pm or a 6:45pm ferry to Spanish Town VG, from which you take a taxi to Gun Creek for the water taxi to the BEYC – see http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_vg.htm
• a cab from RT to Beef Island to get the North Sound Express ferry direct to BEYC. Looks like there is a 6pm ferry with restrictions http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_ ... vg_nsx.htm

The disclaimer here of course is that the BVI ferries are well known to have their challenges with meeting their “schedules”.

Suggest your SIL contact the Bitter End to get the latest on the ferry service and their recommendations to get to the resort. One assumes a high end place like that would be more than willing to help out with the logistics – see http://www.beyc.com/index.php/getting-here

Note that there is “direct” ferry service from STT (but stopping in Cruz Bay STJ) to VG on Thursdays and Sundays.
http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_ ... peedys.htm

Good to know that in case they have significant delays getting into STT on Weds, they can overnight in STT and get an early ferry out of CA or Red Hook and be on VG before 11am. We’ve been to VG 3 times and have always built the trips around those Thurs and Sunday ferries so we didn't have to take multiple ferries.

Hope this helps.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Heather

Post by Heather »

Thank you both for replying. JMQ, this is a huge help as it is exactly the specific info re:days, schedules that she needs. The BEYC has been helpful, but still confusing, so this is great. Thank you for taking the time!
RickG

Post by RickG »

Agree with JMQ, Wednesdays are tough. Another option is a charter flight to Tortola and the North Sound Express.

She should check the return. I've come back via the VG/STT ferry to Charlotte Amalie. But, on some days I've had to go from Spanish Town to Road Town and then to Charlotte Amalia or Red Hook via St. John. The routing gets exciting, ferries are unreliable and a 2PM flight out of STT is about as early as I'll risk even catching the first ferry of the day. The good news is that the ride from Virgin Gorda to Charlotte Amalie is much nicer with the prevailing winds at your back. CA to VG is a bouncy upwind battle.

Good luck! We'll be up in North Sound around the 18th and 19th, it's nice.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
jmq

Post by jmq »

Heather wrote: JMQ, this is a huge help as it is exactly the specific info re:days, schedules that she needs. The BEYC has been helpful, but still confusing, so this is great. Thank you for taking the time!
You are quite welcome. Its a real challenge to figure it out first time around.
RickG wrote: We'll be up in North Sound around the 18th and 19th, it's nice.
Tru dat.

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide