Lovango kayak trip question

Travel discussion for St. John
Lindy

Lovango kayak trip question

Post by Lindy »

Has anyone done the Arawak kayak excursion that goes to Honeymoon, Henley Cay and then on to Lovango? I'll be on the island in December with four other women friends and we're looking at doing that trip. We're in our 50's and 60's, not fitness nuts but we do pretty good for our age. Just wondering if this is biting off more than we can chew or if it's something that we can handle since it's broken down into stages. BTW, we've all kayaked before but on lakes and rivers, not huge open waters so we're wondering if it gets a little rough heading out to Lovango. Thanks!!!
Pia

Re: Lovango kayak trip question

Post by Pia »

Good morning Lindy

I'm not ignoring you - I will call you today :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

My mom did this trip a couple of years ago. She was 55ish at the time and it great shape but it was her first time kayaking. She really enjoyed it.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

But Lindy, WHO'S going to make the COOKIES????
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Thanks PA girl - That's exactly what I needed to know.

Pia - No problem. As you can see we're still hashing it out.

Hahahahaha Minde!!! This year I have to do all my baking in November and will be freezing them after they're baked instead of before. I never even considered the church deal when we booked our trip and the cookie sale is two days after I get home. Not enough time to bake them fresh right before the sale so they get baked first and then frozen this time. Luckily I had a chance to try this out over the summer. I actually got commissioned to do cookies for an open house for a new business opening here in town. I did many of the same cookies that I do for Christmas and froze all of the left overs after they were baked. I took them out of the freezer after about a month and they were just fine except for the chocolate covered caramel pecan cookies. The chocolate coating cracked in the freezer....probably from expansion and contraction during the freezing process. So I know that I can bake the cookie base and freeze that or maybe even put the caramel on it before freezing, if I have time, and then use my one day before the sale to add the chocolate coating. My husband is going to be out of town for about 10 days in November so that gives me LOTS of time to monkey around with cookies without having to worry about cooking regular meals or doing laundry, etc. I also told my girlfriends making the STJ trip with me that I may enlist them to give me a hand. Come hell or highwater the cookies WILL get done!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Wait, I want to know more about this Arawak kayak thing...maybe we've already asked about it but I'd like a refresher...
Cost, where do you leave from, is it guided, etc...
Could be a really fun day with our four kids this upcoming trip.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
silands

Post by silands »

same here would love to know more about it sounds like a great way to see the islands
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

From what I remember, the trip my mom went on was from late morning to late afternoon. She loved it. While is great shape, she isn't a great swimmer but loves to snorkel (go figure!) and she was a newbie to kayaking. She said the guide was very professional and paired her up with someone with kayaking experience in a tandem kayak. She didn't think the paddling part was too challenging but said there was an area crossing over to Lovango where they really had to concentrate and paddle hard. She is sort of a wuss and it must not have been that big of a deal or it would have freaked her out.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

For the full day trip you leave from the beach to the right side of the ferry dock opposite STJ spice, then you kayak to Honeymoon and swim/snorkel there for a while, then out to Henley Cay, then on to Lovango and from there back to Cruz Bay. Here's a link to the website.....check out the lunch!! http://www.arawakexp.com/daytrips.htm
My group is booked for Dec. 9 so I'll let you know how it is after I get back!