Bumped...

Travel discussion for St. John
Bigcheeze

Bumped...

Post by Bigcheeze »

Have you ever ben bumped by the airlines??....

Or have you volunteered??

We always get to the gate and ask; " need any volunteers"?
Last year we got bumped in Philly on our connection to Detroit....(we volunteered) We got $300 each( 4 x $300) and they put us up in a Comp Hotel room(s)....

Next morning...we got bumped( again by our own volition ) and
they gave us another $250 per person...(and 2 rooms).... it was 10am and we didn't fly out till the next day...so we did the "Philly Independence tour and cheese steaks....")

And the kids missed 1 day , but got xtra credit for the History lesson.

Oh...and we had over $ 550/each in vouchers...:)

For more details......Contact Hollis Travel....;)
PA Girl

Re: Bumped...

Post by PA Girl »

I have been tempted but hubby always overrules me. In Charlotte, Us airway was offering $400 a person!
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I got bumped once when I was by myself, only got home two hours later. Got a $300 voucher...not bad for way back in 2000. Still get grief from Hubby that I wouldn't take the offer in Paris for $600 voucher each and hotel to fly the next day. It was a business trip for him and a week of not much fun..people in Paris were not nice, no way I was staying another day.
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

heading to stj maybe 15 years ago got bumped --2 free rt tickets anywhere in us or carib. per person (4 of us)...rest of the flight sucked big time but was worth it!!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

We had the opportunity to get bumped last year on our return flight. We would have received $1,000 (YES, $1000!!!) and a free night's stay at one of STT's finest (right) hotels. I was up for it, but my husband vetoed me. Sigh.

THIS YEAR, however....I may veto HIM if offered the opportunity again! Seriously - the easiest money we could ever make! Do it!
loria

Post by loria »

AA wanted us to get bumped from a trip to narita and were offering 1000 per person (there were three of us) and i would have done it-- except we were catching a flight the next morning on Cathay which was booked separately and connecting to another flight on thai air that was also booked separately.....and so the 3K would have gotten eaten up immediately......i was BUMMED OUT.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
verjoy

Post by verjoy »

My husband and I had a two week Black Sea cruise booked in 1998.
We were traveling from St Louis to Istanbul on United and Lufthansa with connections in Chicago and Frankfurt. We got to Chicago and the plane to Frankfurt had broken toilets so they put us up in a decent hotel with meal vouchers and gave us each $400 vouchers for future flights.

We were told that we were rebooked into Istanbul the next day. Of course, when we got to Frankfurt the Lufthansa flight was so overbooked there was no way we were going to make it, so we took the buyout in Deutshmarks equal to $200 each with the condition that we were confirmed on the next flight 7 hours later. Exhaustion set in and we refused to take the next buyout that they eventually offered for that later flight. We got into Istanbul 24 hours later than planned and missed our pre-cruise hotel but were re-imbursed for that hotel too.

Incidentally, on that cruise we visited Yalta in the Crimea and Odessa, Ukraine in addition to eight other ports. We were on the original "Love Boat" the Pacific Princess.
PointPeeps

Post by PointPeeps »

When we got to the airport to fly home after "Blizzard Hercules" in January they were offering $300 to give up your seat. There were LOTS of people at the counter begging to get on a plane due to sooo many flights cancelled that week. You had to be willing to be put up in STT hotel for SIX days with food voucher too until they had open flights to rebook you on. Three hours later when we finally were boarding the price went up to ONE THOUSAND. This being our first trip leaving the kids home..we had to get back, but some folks got paid well to enjoy almost another whole week in the islands. :roll: