car barge-reservation?

Travel discussion for St. John
krislbi

car barge-reservation?

Post by krislbi »

Hi all,

We usually rent in STJ but decided to get the car in STT this year...having never done the car barge, can anyone advise if we need to make a reservation in advance or do we just show up?

Thanks in advance!
luv2travel

Re: car barge-reservation?

Post by luv2travel »

Just show up!
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

The way I remember it - it's first come, first serve.

Also, unless this changed - you back on to the barge. The first time I did it, I drove on and then notices others backing on. I had enough room to quickly turn around on the barge.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
iheartsj

Post by iheartsj »

A caution about renting on St. Thomas rather than St. John. We did this once. On our second day we realized the 4wd didn't work. The rental company wanted us to return the vehicle to St. THomas. A $50 barge ride and a lost day. Also,
not all rental companies allow you to take the car to St. John

Be aware that the last barge leaving St. Thom for St. John leaves at 7 pm. Depending on your arrival time be sure to leave enough time to get your car, navigate the streets to Red Hook , and catch the barge. If you miss it, then try to find a room on St. Thomas.

It might look cheaper to rent on St. Thomas, but in the long run it isn't worth it.
krislbi

Post by krislbi »

Thanks all!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

We have rented Jeeps on STT 10 times and I swear by it.

My parents got a bad Jeep on their first trip to STJ (it smelled like vomit) and Budget brought over a Jeep on the ferry to exchange it.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Connie

Post by Connie »

If you decide to rent on STT, make sure you buy a one way ticket. That way you can get on any barge on your way back from STJ. If you buy a round trip ticket, you must wait for that particular barge to arrive on STJ. Hope I'm making sense.

When you arrive at the STT terminal, you will see people parking backwards. The barge workers will direct you on. Believe me, they squeeze you on there.....tight.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"