So, how crowded will it be this weekend?

Travel discussion for St. John
Charlie2001

So, how crowded will it be this weekend?

Post by Charlie2001 »

I'm headed back to St John this Thursday. The last 4 trips have all been in June/July, so I have no frame of reference regarding the "crowds" around spring break time.

Should I expect to have to arrive at beaches early to get a parking spot? How about dinner reservations? We're staying at Grande Bay, so thankfully parking is taken care of when we're in town.

This is the first visit for my two kids, so I know we'll have a blast regardless. I just wanted to set my own expectations ahead of time, if possible.
strat62

Re: So, how crowded will it be this weekend?

Post by strat62 »

we got in last wednesday. it definitely seems more crowded here than the past couple years. that said, we usually head out to one of the north shore beaches around 9 or so and parking hasn't been a problem. after 10-10:30 though pickings get pretty slim.....

weather has been terrific and the waters calm
dreamshark

Re: So, how crowded will it be this weekend?

Post by dreamshark »

On island now, leaving tomorrow. This is our first March trip, so I can't compare to previous years, but the beaches are busy. Your best bet is to get up with the sun, have a leisurely breakfast, and head out for the beach by 9am. By 11am, parking can be hard to find.

Go even earlier if Salt Pond is your destination. We got to Salt Pond this morning at 8:30am. We were the 3rd jeep in the lot and were able to grab the super-shady first picnic table. By 9:30, people were just streaming past us, and setting up encampments around "our" tree. I'm sure the road was lined with cars at noon, but we were otherwise occupied. By the time we left (around 2:30) the beach was starting to empty out and there were quite a few parking spaces available. So if you just can't hack the early morning thing, head for the beach around 3pm.

Other than one beach party at Haulover with its own floating cash bar (!) things have been fairly normal in Coral Bay. We showed up at Aqua Bistro on Thursday night without reservations and only had to wait about 15 minutes for a seat (which we didn't mind at all - we sat on the wall and listened to the live music). On the other hand, there was a SUPER loud band at someplace in Coral Bay on Friday that kept the whole mountainside awake until midnight. We're at the top of Ajax Peak, and it was loud. Not sure if that's a spring breaker thing, or some bar just got a new sound system.

We haven't gone near Cruz Bay, so I can't speak to things on that end of the island. But we've had a fine time over here on the east side. :D