Nikkiki Gets Her Fix – Day Two Trip Report 4/15-4/23

Travel discussion for St. John
nikkiki

Nikkiki Gets Her Fix – Day Two Trip Report 4/15-4/23

Post by nikkiki »

Link to Day One: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=26974

Day Two
Everyone is up around sunrise. Maybe it was the roosters, but I think we were all just so excited to start our vacation. We take some time to put together our beach bags, and head to Maho. I had already let everyone know that while the rest of our trip could be decided democratically, Maho was First Beach. End of story.

We arrive, grab our spot on the beach, and look around. I can barely suppress a giggle as I watch my friends’ faces: looks that seem to be equal parts disbelief and joy seem to be creeping over each of them. Last night, I had polled each friend to find out what they wanted out of today: Beth wanted a pretty place to read on the beach. Mike wanted to try snorkeling for the first time. Tony wanted photo opportunities. I think I hit a home run here. I make everyone listen to my carefully prepared “Never Touch Anything in the Ocean” speech for beginners, and then help Mike get started snorkeling. We head out and immediately see a few large stingrays. Mike manages to grab a picture of one:

Tony and Beth are enjoying themselves in the shallows, so I invite them to share my gear. Beth declines and heads to shore to read, but Tony (who has earlier declared “I don’t think I’ll be very interested in swimming or snorkeling”) puts on my gear. He heads out over the sea grass with Mike. I head to shore, sit on my towel, and try to keep yesterday's moronic grin from turning into tears of joy. I’m so glad, so lucky, so thrilled to be here at this moment. I haven’t been back to the Rock since my dad passed away. Sitting at Maho that morning, I remember dad’s incredible luck finding turtles and rays on our first trip together and spend a moment in grief, missing him. The guys come back to shore, wide-eyed. They have seen TWO turtles and more rays. They are hooked. They want to go to Crabby’s, NOW, and rent more gear.

Dependable Maho, always delivers for First Beach.

We decide to head into Cruz Bay for lunch and groceries first. When we all pile back into the Wrangler, the passenger seat will no longer recline. You can push it forward to get in the back seat but it won’t lean back. In such a small vehicle, this means the driver can’t see properly out that side anymore. Since we’re heading to Cruz Bay anyways, we decide to drop it off with Conrad, grab some lunch, and hope it can be fixed in that time.

We pull in to Conrad Sutton’s and explain the problem. We ask nicely “can you please look at it while we grab some lunch?” and receive a grunt and a nod. Um……ok. No problemo.

We have lunch at the High Tide Bar & Grill. Decent food, nothing particularly memorable. Maybe because we’re still on a beach high – the second our order is in, we run out to the beach to get our toes back in the sand and pose for Mama ifloat on the Spice Cam. Our food comes before I can swing on the rope tied to this tree.

We walk back to Conrad’s. He’s fixed the seat. Hooray! However, he is Very Angry with us because he feels that the seats and seat belt are too wet. We get a Very Serious Lecture (“Dammit Aimi!”). We tell him we just came from Maho, we were very careful to sit on dry towels, and we are Very Sorry. We create a Very Rude Nickname for Conrad.

Onward to Starfish to grab our groceries for the week. Our initial plan is to eat lunch out, and breakfast and dinner at the villa. We sort of stick to that plan. Back to the villa to drop off the groceries, and Beth (a great lover of naps), decides to spend the afternoon there. The guys and I head out for more beach adventures. We stop at Crabby’s to pick up a snorkel for Tony, and then head back to the North Shore – I’m hoping there might be a parking spot open at Jumbie.

There’s not, so we park up at Peace Hill. We walk down, and yep, there’s a spot now. Tony runs back up the hill to grab the car. He wants a quick exit so he can get some sunset shots later. As he is driving back down, another car wants to park in the empty spot. They happily work out a double park situation with us. Smiles all around, and I’m back on my favorite beach. I’m thrilled, as I’ve managed to get my favorite beach and my traditional First Beach fix on the same day. We have a good snorkel, lots of fish. Mike captures a portrait of this tiny creature.

We’re close to the Trunk Bay overlook, so we decide to make that our sunset spot.
Good choice. It’s a gorgeous sunset, and Tony captures it perfectly.

We can’t resist stopping at Maho one more time on the way home to take a few pictures between the palm trees. I've always wanted to take this picture, and it was worth every bug bite I got while taking it.

Tony takes a beautiful sunset shot, and then adds his wife to it later. To read how he did it, check out his blog at http://www.antonycaldaroni.com.

Back to the villa for burgers on the grill, homemade painkillers (thanks for the recipe shoemak38!), and Cards Against Humanity. Yes, I know, this is exactly what we ate last night at Skinny’s. Don’t judge us. We’re on vacation.
Barb Y

Re: Nikkiki Gets Her Fix – Day Two Trip Report 4/15-4/23

Post by Barb Y »

Sounding like a true perfect start! Love your writing and the pics. Thanks so much for sharing! I look forward to the next day!
54b

Post by 54b »

Enjoying your TR and wow, Tony is seriously legit. That Trunk shot is one of the best I've ever seen. Maybe you should encourage Tony to publish pictures of "other" islands. :D

Gotta love Mr. Sutton. Have rented from him 7 times. Courteous, respectful, but firm seems to be the best approach with him I've found and sounds like you did that too. Some will argue that the surliness is not worth it, but the man knows his cars and he is there ALL the time. I hit a drainage ditch and blew out the two left side tires around 6pm one evening on Southshore road a few years back. He was there about 30 minutes after I called him with another tire and helped me put it on. Underneath it all, I think he's a real good guy.

Look forward to the rest of your report.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
rays&rum13

Post by rays&rum13 »

Wow Nikki! Thanks for helping with my STJ fix! Keep the reports & pictures coming- love it!
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

I love the fact that Maho is not negotiable as the First Beach.

Maybe there is a career opportunity for Tony, photoshopping various forumites into his Maho sunset.
acaldaroni

Post by acaldaroni »

Hello St. John and Virgin Island (as a whole) lovers!

What an incredible experience we had with Nikkiki and Mike at St. John. Thank you all for your kind words on the images I was lucky enough to capture on this epic journey. I'll be posting more (as will Nikkiki) as the week goes on but Nikkiki suggested that I post a yet to be released TGIF image (though it is just past the 12 am hour here in Chicago).

So - I posted a TGIF / TIGS photo on a separate string for your viewing pleasure. Thank you all so much for your kind words and, so long as you'd like to see them, I'll keep the images coming!

AJC
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

Really great pics!!!!
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Great trip report and stunning pictures!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Great trip report...even more fabulous pictures!!! WOW! Keep 'em coming! :D

Also - Maho is always our first beach, too. Great minds! :wink:

Last year at Jumbie, we could not escape mini jellies - OUCH!!! :cry: Maybe we'll try again this year.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Maho is also my non-negotiable first beach.

We had my assistant with us last April, who didn't think he would be into snorkeling either. After an hour at Maho, I had to run him to Cruz Bay Watersports to buy his own gear!

I took my dad to St John last year. He has alzheimers, and we lose him little by little each day. When I sit on Maho now and remember how much he loved just standing in the water watching the fish swim by his feet, it always brings a lump to my throat. My tears of joy moment this year came at Drunk Bay, which always gets to me. Even more so since I was able to take my dad there and see him enjoy it as I do.
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Wow.
Thanks again for the Trip Report.
Unbelievably gorgeous photos...
Thanks again!
Smiles-
MJ
ifloat

Post by ifloat »

I have chosen Maho to have my emotional meltdown when I return there in November with Nikkiki. If it goes well, I will also have one at Skinny Legs, Salt Pond, the ferry dock, and every other place we spent with my late husband. I am so grateful for those memories. Hoping that this will be some sort of catharsis, that will help me get on with life.
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

We had some jelly problems this trip as well. Just noticed a few little stings while I was in the water, and was fine by the time I was done swimming. Never actually saw any jellies, though.

I'm not sure I'm willing to put up with surliness again...we'll be trying a different company in November.

mg, what a beautiful memory you've made with your father. I know that I had several moments where dad seemed so close...it meant a lot to me to be able to feel that way.