Spirit Airlines ORD-STT

Travel discussion for St. John
nikkiki

Spirit Airlines ORD-STT

Post by nikkiki »

If the thought of flying Spirit airlines doesn't totally gross you out, take a peek at their fares today. Using my $9 fare club plus a mother's day sale will get me a trip from Chicago to St. Thomas for $350 (including a carry on bag each way!) That's over $100 cheaper than the flight I took in April. Not bad!
poidog

Re: Spirit Airlines ORD-STT

Post by poidog »

I fly Spirit from ORD to STT once in a while and only if they are $100 or more less than the major airlines. I have had good and bad with them. In fact, I'm flying them tomorrow down to STJ as tickets were $350 vs $500-600 for everyone else.

Consider with Spirit:
- The flight to ORD that'll take you to FLL originates from Las Vegas and it can run late sometimes. Leave yourself plenty of connection time in FLL (they offer a 3 hr or 1 hr lay over based on flights out of ORD right now). Take the 3 hr. It may be long but you'll more likely make the connection to STT. If you're delayed out of ORD, You miss the connection you have to wait until the next day.

Spirit has no reciprocity with other airlines. Case in point, we were delayed out of STT once, due to mechanical problems, and missed our connecting flight in FLL back to ORD... we ended up having to spend the night in FLL along with 1/2 of the other people on the plane.

Tips I learned:
- Pack light to avoid baggage fees. I use the XS duffle from North Face, and it fits what I need for week all in a bag that fits under the seat of the plane.
- Don't pay to pick your seats - check in at the airport kiosk (not online) and you can select your seats there... otherwise they put you in the back of the plane.
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ
nikkiki

Re: Spirit Airlines ORD-STT

Post by nikkiki »

Good advice, poidog! Thanks!